New Orleans cars on F-Market MUNI line

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

New Orleans cars on F-Market MUNI line

Postby Tadman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Recently I learned that there are two NORTA cars owned by San Francisco. Given that NORTA cars are broad gauge and MUNI is not, how is that dealt with? Are replacement trucks fitted or new wheelsets used? Or other?

Thanks.
Tadman

Re: New Orleans cars on F-Market MUNI line

Postby NaugyRR » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am

The last time I did Guest Motorman at the CT Trolley Museum I had asked my instructor the same question regarding their "Desire" car. If I remember correctly, the trucks did not need to be changed.
https://www.ct-trolley.org/about/collection/new-orleans-public-service-836/
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby Tadman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 am

Very interesting, from the page you linked, I searched the truck model. I can't find anybody else using the 76-E2 truck. What is really interesting is that Brill evidently refused to do an MCB truck, which is bloody nuts from a 2018 perspective. I'm curious now if NORTA has converted them to rollerbearing or if they still use friction bearings. I'm going to take a walk this afternoon and find out.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eqKKr ... E2&f=false

Above - brill books with this info.
Tadman

Postby ebtmikado » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:25 pm

For many streetcars, regauging is reasonably easy:
Press the wheels inward the correct amount for the new track gauge,
and either adjust or move the brake rigging so that the shoes ride correctly on the wheels.

Lee
ebtmikado

Return to California Commuter & Transit