Will Caltrain electrification affect UP freight service?

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Will Caltrain electrification affect UP freight service?

Postby freightguy » Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 am

I'm curious if Caltrain electrification plans will effect any UP service after it's completed? Do any Union Pacific freights still even run on Caltrain be it local or road jobs?
Signed off
freightguy

Re: Will Caltrain electrification effect UP freight service?

Postby bdawe » Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 am

If I recall correctly, UP will lose their midday slot, only having track time at night.
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby Backshophoss » Mon May 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Catenary from SFO(4th& Townsend) will streach to San Jose(Didron) then onward on CAHSR trackage(If built),
could impose height restrictions on the UP locals working JPBX trackage and road freights from CP Coast to
CP Cahill thru San Jose.
CAHSR might build to 25kv 60hz specs.
Backshophoss

Postby electricron » Tue May 10, 2016 12:43 am

I don't think the catenary wires and poles will cause the UP any problems because low wires will effect double stack containers and tall auto racks, which I doubt the UP needs to service in San Francisco or on its peninsula. All of the facilities for these type of cars are located not the east side of the bay where there will be no catenaries. And if the wires are hung high enough, even these types of cars can run under them. ;)
electricron

Postby ExCon90 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:34 pm

Might there still be a problem between Coast and Cahill? And will wires reach Gilroy, and if not, will Caltrain need dual-mode locomotives?
ExCon90

Postby Nicholas Chen » Tue May 10, 2016 1:45 pm

They won't electrify to Gilroy. I believe the plan is to have those trains run to 4th and King but not to the Transbay Terminal.
Nicholas Chen

Postby ExCon90 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 pm

So they're going to keep 4th & King in service? I just assumed it would disappear.
ExCon90

Postby Nicholas Chen » Tue May 10, 2016 2:42 pm

I believe so.
Nicholas Chen

Postby Backshophoss » Tue May 10, 2016 8:15 pm

The "shared" trackage of CP Coast thru CP Cahill would include UP freights,Caltrain(JPBX),Altamont Commuter Express,
Amtrak-Ca Capitol corridor services and the Coast Starlight,Also the "LOSSAN" services on the Coast Line
The Jct of the CAHSR route from the central Ca(and LA)area adds a new variable to this section of track,
so whatever CAHSR decides on the Catenary Specs will play a role on what happens.
It's going to get crowded thru San Jose(Didron) station.
Backshophoss

Postby lensovet » Wed May 11, 2016 3:42 am

ExCon90 wrote:Might there still be a problem between Coast and Cahill? And will wires reach Gilroy, and if not, will Caltrain need dual-mode locomotives?

Caltrain runs just three trains each way to Gilroy on weekdays and zero trains on weekends. With such low numbers I suspect they could just run shuttles and make people transfer.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby ebtmikado » Wed May 11, 2016 10:15 am

As long as the catenary is installed high enough, there should not
affect freight service.

Lee
ebtmikado

Postby bdawe » Wed May 11, 2016 10:23 am

It's not just a matter of clearance. Caltrain's waivers for non-compliant railcars specify temporal separation from freight, so I'm not entirely sure how that will be accomplished for trains headed through to the Coast Line
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Re: Will Caltrain electrification affect UP freight service?

Postby freightguy » Wed May 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was curious from when TRAINS did an article in 2007 on local service around San Fransico and those shared UP/Caltrain lines. Reminds of what goes on in Northeast with shared commuter and freight operations.

With so much changed with the economy since 2007 was wondering how many customers UP had left on that segment....
Signed off
freightguy

Re: Will Caltrain electrification affect UP freight service?

Postby lensovet » Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 am

freightguy wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was curious from when TRAINS did an article in 2007 on local service around San Fransico and those shared UP/Caltrain lines. Reminds of what goes on in Northeast with shared commuter and freight operations.

With so much changed with the economy since 2007 was wondering how many customers UP had left on that segment....

i hear the trains go by multiple times a week, maybe even daily.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Postby ExCon90 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:17 pm

bdawe wrote:It's not just a matter of clearance. Caltrain's waivers for non-compliant railcars specify temporal separation from freight, so I'm not entirely sure how that will be accomplished for trains headed through to the Coast Line

Do we know they're not going to be FRA compliant? The latest I can find on their website is that they are "moving forward" on a design for the cars. There's no way they could run from Santa Clara to San Jose without being compliant--or without a waiver, and who can say whether they'd get one? I would think not.
ExCon90

Next

Return to California Commuter & Transit