CA California CAHSR System

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Re: CA California CAHSR System

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm

I think any possibility of achieving higher speeds would be negated by the number of slots taken up by Metrolink and Coaster, which, as electricron points out, are non-electrified and likely to remain so. The whole operation would be a classic example of the difficulty of interweaving locals and expresses on a double-track line while providing a clockface (hourly, or half-hourly?) schedule for the expresses. And before somebody points out that they do it in Europe all the time, let it be noted that it requires two through and two station tracks at the local stations--like Bayshore and Lawrence on Caltrain (just imagine the reaction in Encinitas!)--plus an on-time culture that has not reached these shores.
ExCon90

Postby electricron » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 am

New cost estimations for the San Jose to Madera sector through the Pacheco Pass.
http://www.latimes.com/local/california ... story.html
"When the first California bullet train pulls out of San Jose one day, a crucial part of the journey will be a 13.5-mile tunnel beneath the winding peaks and valleys of Pacheco Pass.
Bent Flyvbjerg, a University of Oxford professor who has studied high-speed rail projects around the world, estimated the cost could range from $5.6 billion (with a 50% chance of a cost overrun) to $14.6 billion (with a 20% chance of a cost overrun).
An executive at one of the nation’s leading engineering firms, who was not authorized to publicly comment on the state rail plan but is knowledgeable about the project, estimated the cost would run from $10 billion to $12 billion, based on recent experience with long tunnels in difficult geology.
Herbert Einstein, an MIT civil engineer and expert on tunnel construction, put the cost at roughly $6 billion — saying that was on the low side, based on his experience in other projects."

And that's not the only place CHSR will have to tunnel, there's potentially 36 miles of tunnels under the Southern California mountains as well.
electricron

Postby kaitoku » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 am

DB confirmed as early train operator:
The California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) has confirmed that DB Engineering and Consulting has been awarded an early train operator services contract to assist with the United State’s first high-speed railway.
The announcement comes a month after CHSRA ranked the consortium – which consists of DB, Alternate Concepts, and HDR – above three rival bids in the race to secure the deal.

https://www.globalrailnews.com/2017/11/ ... peed-rail/
kaitoku

Postby David Benton » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:23 am

Talk about putting the cart before the donkey , but I guess it was something they could do without spending much money.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 am

Not really putting the cart before the horse/donkey. It's important to have the future operator's input in designing what they're going to be running. DB knows what they're doing with HSR, so they can help the CHSRA with final design to ensure the system will run smoothly once ready for service.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby lensovet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:01 am

my thoughts exactly
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailNJT Light RailCalifornia commuter (mod)
lensovet

Previous

Return to California Commuter & Transit