EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variations)

Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Re: EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variation

Postby Allen Hazen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Chrisf--
Thanks for correction, and link to a side view! I looked at the just-off-front view that MEC 407 had linked to, and it looked to me like a 4-axle, BB, unit: hence my comments. The photo you link to makes clear that it is an 8-axle, "BBBB," unit: so no weight problem. EMD and GE have both for many years provided 8-axle derivatives of domestic 6-axle models for use on meter-gauge railroads in Brazil (the first, back in the late 1960s I think, was EMD's DD45: an 8-axle derivative of the SD45).
--
Comment now that that has been clarified: many of the 8-axle meter-gauge units EMD provided were strictly DD units, with two rigid-frame 4-axle trucks (visually at least similar to the standard gauge trucks used on the domestic DD35 and DDX40 units), whereas GE has always used pairs of 2-axle trucks on span bolsters. It looks as if EMD is now doing things GE's way. (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!)
Allen Hazen

Re: EMD SD70ACe series official thread (covers all variation

Postby Allen Hazen » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:09 pm

MEC407--
Hmmm… GE has, since the beginning, used six inverters (one per axle)on its Alternating Current CC locomotives, and EMD, after initially using only two (= one per truck, has seen the error in its ways and does things GE's way. Can we assume that both of these 8-axle derivatives also use one inverter per axle, for a total of eight?
Allen Hazen

Previous

Return to EMD - Electro-Motive