Canadian Trip Booked

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

Re: Canadian Trip Booked

Postby Tadman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks, all, for your input. I am so looking forward to this trip.
Tadman

Postby northcornice » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:43 am

The adjacent airport is still used, but no longer for passenger service except chartered planes.

This airport has been closed since November 30, 2013. It is being redeveloped into medium and high density housing.
northcornice

Postby Tadman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A54E1F3
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A4EC8B7
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A3FF704

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A121C95

So a few things on the trip:

1. The food was awesome, and the diner staff was excellent. Somehow the diner chairs are not fastened to the floor per FRA regs, it's a wonder Canada hasn't disappeared into a black hole of danger. Or maybe the FRA is a swamp that needs a bit of draining.

2. The 1950's vintage rolling stock has mostly been completely rehabbed and is in great shape. Some of the duplex rooms and sections are a bit worn, but not grubby by any means.

3. RE the duplexes and sections, I have no idea why Amtrak doesn't do this. Most Amtrak roomettes are only occupied by a single person, with a section you could really boost revenue and passenger miles with relation to car-miles.

4. It was not a cheap trip - $500US for lower section, 24 hour ride.

5. The Edmonton station is in the boones and cabs were a bit tough to get, especially because CN had us 3 hours late. It would be nice if a coach bus met the train and ran to downtown and/or the airport. I would pay $50 extra to avoid the uncertainty of "will I get a cab in a foreign land at 2am?".
Tadman

Postby electricron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Tadman wrote:The Edmonton station is in the boones and cabs were a bit tough to get, especially because CN had us 3 hours late. It would be nice if a coach bus met the train and ran to downtown and/or the airport. I would pay $50 extra to avoid the uncertainty of "will I get a cab in a foreign land at 2am?".

How tough was it? Did everyone needing a ride find one?
electricron

Postby marquisofmississauga » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:37 am

northcornice wrote:
The adjacent airport is still used, but no longer for passenger service except chartered planes.

This airport has been closed since November 30, 2013. It is being redeveloped into medium and high density housing.

Thanks for the update. My last several times through Edmonton have been e/b on a late train so I didn't know the airport was closed. It used to be amusing watching planes coming in low over the Canadian while we walked the platform.
marquisofmississauga

Postby northcornice » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I took "The Canadian"July of 2013, where balloons and small planes were still taking off, and August of 2014 when it was closed and they were tearing up the runways.
northcornice

Postby Tadman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

The trip went well. It was a bit late - 3 hours - into Edmonton, but whatever. I didn't expect anything better. We didn't really get behind until central Alberta.

What I don't understand is all the complaints on the internet about "this train is always so late into Toronto and I didn't like that". Obviously nobody is riding this as timely transport, so why complain? Via clearly states it will be late and not to have same-day connections. How can one complain about a hazard they've clearly been warned about?
Tadman

Postby bdawe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmVFvL3vjQ from 1955 on CP's Canadian

I got a bit of a kick out of one of the taglines : The oldest route; the newest trains

Today, of all the long distance trains in North America, I believe today's Canadian is The newest route; the oldest trains, the last regularly scheduled long distance train using almost entirely streamliner-era equipment running over CN's amalgam of of the Grand Trunk Pacific & Canadian Northern routes, which were the last transcontinental routes to be completed (later than the Western Pacific by a few years)
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby electricron » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:55 pm

bdawe wrote:I stumbled across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmVFvL3vjQ from 1955 on CP's Canadian

I got a bit of a kick out of one of the taglines : The oldest route; the newest trains

Today, of all the long distance trains in North America, I believe today's Canadian is The newest route; the oldest trains, the last regularly scheduled long distance train using almost entirely streamliner-era equipment running over CN's amalgam of of the Grand Trunk Pacific & Canadian Northern routes, which were the last transcontinental routes to be completed (later than the Western Pacific by a few years)

While it is a scheduled train, it’s frequency is terrible. What is it at now, twice a week starting October 14?
Will you consider it a regularly scheduled train if it falls to once a week? My point being it is not a daily train. To me, that’s an irregularly scheduled train.
electricron

Postby bdawe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:56 pm

twice a week is pretty regular. Even once a week is an event that happens with regularity

What isn't regular is, say, the Rocky Mountaineer, which departs Vancouver for varied destinations on an irregular, seasonal schedule. Trains depart on particular dates, rather than so many times per week or per month.
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby Tadman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

I have a real beef with all the online reviews complaining about how late the Canadian is. If you're travelling and in need of timely connections, WestJet or Air Canadia is happy to help you, and for far less money than Via. If you're travelling for the view, you can take the Canadian and treat it as a vacation. When Via notes clear as a bell to arrange connecting travel the day after one arrives, and then one ignores that, it seems pretty stupid to complain about a late train.

On the flip side, Via could make some serious coin by packaging train trips with shuttle to hotel, hotel room, and flight home. For example, last time I arrived in Edmonton at three hours late, the late hour didn't bother me. What bothered me was the three taxis to get 50-ish people downtown. 50 happens to be about the capacity of a coach bus. Why Via couldn't hire a coach bus and charge us an additional $15-25 to get downtown is beyond me. Would be a decent money maker and remove the ambiguity of arriving in a strange town at the quietest possible hour. If they had a shuttle-hotel-air package for the casual traveler/vacation person, it would not only remove the ambiguity but would make the trip on time even if the train wasn't.
Tadman

Previous

Return to Canadian Passenger Operations: AMT, Go Transit, VIA, etc.