Locomotive Handsets/MICS???? PLEASE HELP

Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Locomotive Handsets/MICS???? PLEASE HELP

Postby dsdswaff » Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Hey everyone,
I am really hoping someone can help me, I am trying to find out any and all info on locomotive radio's, models/brands in use today ect, especcialy for UPRR, I know BNSF/NSRR use a handset that looks like a phone on the radios they use. But what about UPRR? I can not find anything that has to do with loco radio for UPRR on the web :-(, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
dsdswaff

Re: Locomotive Handsets/MICS???? PLEASE HELP

Postby Engineer Spike » Mon May 30, 2016 3:21 pm

UP seems to use Motorola microphones like one would see on a mobile radio. They tend not to have handsets which look like the old style telephone handset, as most other lines use.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby dsdswaff » Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks for the help! Are there any pros/cons between the two or is it just company prefrence?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove immediately preceding/nesting quotes
dsdswaff

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:17 pm

With the telephone style handset, one can put it up next to the ear. This is handy copying orders on a noisy locomotive.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby Pj » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:26 pm

The telephone style handsets are more expensive than the hand mics.

As far as I can tell only one company is producing them.

They (hand mics) are styled the same as public safety mics but are weighted a little more and have a little different wiring due to the aar wiring.
Pj

Return to Union Pacific