National Guard and being on a train crew.

Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

National Guard and being on a train crew.

Postby TravisKane775 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I was recently invited to an interview as a train crew member for up. I'm currently transitioning out of active duty for the Army and have signed a contract with the national guard. Will UP hire me knowing that I won't always be available? Also would appreciate any tips or if someone in the position is up for it I'd really appreciate some good back and forth on what to expect. I've seen a lot of contradicting points made about this job. Thank you in advance for reading this.

/Trav
TravisKane775

Re: National Guard and being on a train crew.

Postby tellem » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Most Class 1s (UP,BNSF, CSX, etc) are pretty good when it comes to interviewing and hiring both veterans and active drilling members. Its not a big deal for them if you have military service. In fact they get a tax right off for hiring a national guard soldier so if anything it benefits them (its a tax right off for any employer not just railroads)

The process with UP is pretty easy. once you get "marked up" you just call a number and tell them hey I got drill this weekend. they will mark you off.

if for some reason you are deployed or your on extended orders you will keep your senority date and position up to 5 years of being on orders.

Alot of guys I know are drilling and the process is fairly easy. you won't be punished for it and it will never go against you.

hope that helps
tellem

Re: National Guard and being on a train crew.

Postby Pj » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 pm

UP does hire those who are still under contract, reserves, etc.

I have several people at my location that are marked off for military leave for the weekend drills, etc. Just make sure you have all you proper paperwork and notify the company (crew management) on the dates that your suppose to be off.
Pj

Return to Union Pacific