Union Pacific Welded Rail from China/Japan

Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

Union Pacific Welded Rail from China/Japan

Postby freightguy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm

A few years ago “TRAINS Magazine” had an article about UP getting its ribbon welded rail from a ship via Japan/China. Now the Chinese tariffs they move production back to North America.

With a company with a United States shield logo why would they have their rail rolled in a foreign land to begin with? I was disappointed to read that a few years back. Especially with all the steel still produced in the Unites States...
Signed off
freightguy

Re: Union Pacific Welded Rail from China/Japan

Postby Wayside » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Steel is a global commodity, I believe.
We don't know what we don't know.
Wayside

Postby chrisf » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 pm

freightguy wrote:A few years ago “TRAINS Magazine” had an article about UP getting its ribbon welded rail from a ship via Japan/China. Now the Chinese tariffs they move production back to North America.

With a company with a United States shield logo why would they have their rail rolled in a foreign land to begin with? I was disappointed to read that a few years back. Especially with all the steel still produced in the Unites States...

I’m pretty sure there’s an existing thread about this on the forum, but there isn’t a mill in the US who can make the long rails UP wants. https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/in ... 7-2015.htm
chrisf

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:56 pm

This is most likely being used on UP's southern Transconn east of El Paso Tx eastward toward Alpine Tx as the first section
of this super heat hardened imported rail.
Backshophoss

Postby John_Perkowski » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 am

In a word, money talks.

DISCLAIMER: I have an IRA position in UNP.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Return to Union Pacific