NYS&W Locals On The Southern Division

Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

NYS&W Locals On The Southern Division

Postby blocksignal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:00 pm

This is a late post here but I was heading back from railfanning the BC NJT line last Sunday (1/30/2012) driving down Riverside Drive. As I crossed the NYS&W tracks I looked West and saw a headlight. I knew that could not be the SU-99 so it had to be a local. This was at about 5:15 PM. I saw the last part of the train go by when I tried to get to the grade crossing near the Rt. 80 overpass. Fortunately the local stopped and switched at Marcal.

I hung around a bit and observed 2 locomotives and 2 box cars. The lead locomotive looked like a Suzie-Q Yellow Jacket and the 2nd one may have been a CEFX lessor - I do not know what the numbers were (It was dark by this time). They pulled the 2 box cars out that were on the siding North of the of the main and shoved the 2 box cars they brought with them onto the siding. They headed West from there once finished.

2 Questions:

1) Does this local always come down here on Sundays around this time and which "WS-" is it?

2) Do any locals work on Saturday anywhere along the Southern division and if so at what times & which "WS-" would that be?

BTW when the local was backing into the siding a 2nd time the grade crossing lights at Riverside Drive started flashing and the gates went down. The gates went back up & the lights stopped flashing. Then a few seconds later the lights started flashing again and the gates went down - this time staying down for a good 10 minutes or so. There was no other train or MOW vehicle in the vicinity so I presume this was a sensory or circuitry malfunction or both? Just curious.

Blocksignal.
blocksignal

Re: NYS&W Locals On The Southern Division

Postby waldwickrailfan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:05 pm

blocksignal wrote:This is a late post here but I was heading back from railfanning the BC NJT line last Sunday (1/30/2012) driving down Riverside Drive. As I crossed the NYS&W tracks I looked West and saw a headlight. I knew that could not be the SU-99 so it had to be a local. This was at about 5:15 PM. I saw the last part of the train go by when I tried to get to the grade crossing near the Rt. 80 overpass. Fortunately the local stopped and switched at Marcal.

I hung around a bit and observed 2 locomotives and 2 box cars. The lead locomotive looked like a Suzie-Q Yellow Jacket and the 2nd one may have been a CEFX lessor - I do not know what the numbers were (It was dark by this time). They pulled the 2 box cars out that were on the siding North of the of the main and shoved the 2 box cars they brought with them onto the siding. They headed West from there once finished.

2 Questions:

1) Does this local always come down here on Sundays around this time and which "WS-" is it?

2) Do any locals work on Saturday anywhere along the Southern division and if so at what times & what "WS-" would that be?

BTW when the local was backing into the siding a 2nd time the grade crossing lights at Riverside Drive started flashing and the gates went down. The gates went back up & the lights stopped flashing. Then a few seconds later the lights started flashing again and the gates went down - this time staying down for a good 10 minutes or so. There was no other train or MOW vehicle in the vicinity so I presume this was a sensory or circuitry malfunction or both? Just curious.

Blocksignal.

once in a while an extra local will switch near Saddle Brook Yard. and rarely, but sometimes if they run on Saturday or Sunday their designation is WSX.
CSX MP15T
waldwickrailfan

Postby sportsguy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:39 pm

For the record the second engine was CSX GP38-2 #2732. It has been on here since about 2007.
sportsguy

Postby brianc02 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:21 pm

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2905006

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2905009

Caught the local in EP today working Marcal. Not sure if they deliver loads or empties.

Brian
brianc02

Postby blocksignal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks Waldwick for the info, thanks for the clarification of that 2nd engine Sports, nice photos Brian. By the way what time did the local switch Marcal yesterday Brian - thanks.

BTW I am guessing that the boxcars on the Marcal siding are fulls and the ones the local brings are empties or do I have it backwards?

Blocksignal.
blocksignal

Postby brianc02 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm

I had heard them working PC yard and head west early. It was sometime between 8-9am on Sunday at marcal. They left right after and headed into Paterson.

I thought they brought loads of scrap paper into the plant for recycling. They used to receive truck loads of the stuff from the local neighborhoods.
brianc02

Postby TheTrainHunters » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Here is my video of a local from Sparta Junction on the NYS&W! Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUA_RPiqmFs
"The youngest is the Best!"
The Train Hunter's Productions
John McCloskey Jr.
TheTrainHunters

Return to New York, Susquehanna & Western - Past and Present