NYS&W's D&H control

Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

NYS&W's D&H control

Postby DH7409 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm looking for the exact dates the NYS&W controlled the D&H. I can only find a broad 88'-91'. I know GTI ran the D&H for at least half of 88' and I thought CP gained control in 90'. Can anyone help?
Tim
DH7409

Re: NYS&W's D&H control

Postby lvrr325 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Guilford cast the D&H off into bankruptcy and the court appointed the NYS&W to run it.

NYS&W, CP and others then bid for the assets of the D&H through the court, with the CP winning on the basis that although it's bid was not highest, they would have the financial ability to improve the property moreso than the NYS&W. It probably was the right decision given the NYS&W today is little more than a puppet of NS and CSX.

Best bet to pin the dates down would be back issues of Railpace, Trains, or Railfan & Railroad.
lvrr325

Postby nysw3636 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Tim,

June 23, 1988 to February 27, 1990.

BK
nysw3636

Postby Engineer Spike » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

CP purchase finalized in 1991. Who ran it between the Susquehanna and CP? i have heard that there was some falling out between the bankruptsy trustee and Walter Rich. Did the trustee runs it himself, or was CP starting to take control before the deal was done?
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby CPF363 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 am

lvrr325 wrote:Guilford cast the D&H off into bankruptcy and the court appointed the NYS&W to run it.

NYS&W, CP and others then bid for the assets of the D&H through the court, with the CP winning on the basis that although it's bid was not highest, they would have the financial ability to improve the property moreso than the NYS&W. It probably was the right decision given the NYS&W today is little more than a puppet of NS and CSX.

Who were the other bidders? Did CN, NS or CSX ever make any bids for the D&H?
CPF363

Return to New York, Susquehanna & Western - Past and Present