Sparta Station Status

Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

Re: NYSW Sparta station burns - 9/3/12

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:22 pm

I recall an electrical cause behind the Anderson Street fire as well.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby NYSW3022 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 pm

whippany wrote:Apparently, it was not arson.

From the Daily Record - The investigation into the fire that destroyed the historic, 130-year-old Sparta Train Station has been determined to be “not suspicious.”
Investigators have determined that an electrical panel box located on the outside of the building was a contributing factor, according to Sparta Police Sgt. John-Paul Beebe.
The joint investigation is being conducted by Sparta Police Detective Sgt. John Schanstra and Detective Jason Garrigan of the Sussex County Prosecutor’s Office Arson Unit.

NJTRailfan wrote: whatever to help prevent this sort of this esp the restored ones that took years to rehab by dedicated volunteers.

I guess in Sparta's case they didn't have dedication to a professional electrician. It is cute when a group of "dedicated" volunteers want to splash some paint on something. But this is a clear case in letting professionals do professional work.
NYSW3022

Postby cjvrr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 am

NYSW3022 wrote:I guess in Sparta's case they didn't have dedication to a professional electrician. It is cute when a group of "dedicated" volunteers want to splash some paint on something. But this is a clear case in letting professionals do professional work.

Huh? Are you sure about this? While the electrical panel may be a contributing factor, it doesn't say anything about someone wiring it wrong or that it was the actual cause alone.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Postby NJTRailfan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:39 pm

It's cute when some jackss two posts up think volunteers just spash color and jury rig stuff. NOT TRUE!!! Alot of organizations hire professional contractors when it comes to the electrical, plumbing, etc. Alot of these contractors tend to be volunteers themselves be it restoring a historic hom for the local historical society that now serves as their museum and even railroad related structures.
"And remember, you can make a difference."
John Walsh (America's Most Wanted)
NJTRailfan

Postby estatik » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I took a lot of photos in 2008 before they boarded it up, in case anyone is interested. Unfortunately this is now how we'll all have to remember the station. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 955&type=1
estatik

Postby NYS&W142Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Thank you for sharing the photos. I will say if it is ever decided to rebuild the Station, you have a very good record of what it is supposed to look like. I know of one group wanting to rebuild a station and photos of it are far and few.
NYS&W142Fan

Postby estatik » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 am

Well in that case, have a look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/se ... 543922458/
I was rather naive when I was searching for stations, so ignore the inaccuracies of some of my descriptions, please.
There is also a group pool for Flickr folks who shoot any aspect of the NYS&W here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/940978@N22/pool/
estatik

Postby NRGeep » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 pm

When did the last passenger train depart Sparta station?
NRGeep

Postby njmidland » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 am

It ended when the last mixed train to Stroudsburg was cut. I believe it was 1935.
~Tim Stuy
Purveyor of fine food products from the Golden Age of Railroad Travel: http://www.phoebesnowco.com
njmidland

Re: Sparta Station Status

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:57 pm

<BUMP> Site Admin work: thread consolidation, etc.

News: NJ Herald

<SNIPS> per policy:

Sparta train station rises from ashes

SPARTA -- Rising from the ruins and ashes of its former self, the Sparta train station is being reborn as an event center, railroad museum and a place where local artists and craftspeople will be able to teach their skills to a new generation.

Within the past couple of weeks, the framing of the new station has gone up and the roof timbers have been installed. Construction is expected to take about two months and when completed, the station will be dedicated to William E. Dermody Jr., a township resident and former mayor.

He is the father and grandfather of William E. Dermody III and William E. Dermody IV, who now own the station and continue with the family business, Techflex.
Although trains on the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway still travel the tracks, passenger service at the station ended in the 1940s and freight service was stopped in the 1960s.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Sparta Station Status

Postby cjvrr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am

Cool! Thanks for posting the link.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Previous

Return to New York, Susquehanna & Western - Past and Present