Hurricane Irma Updates

General discussion of passenger rail proposals and systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, mtuandrew

Hurricane Irma Updates

Postby John_Perkowski » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:59 am

This is a global thread throughout Railroad.net.

Please post information related to Irma and Florida (for now) RR operations here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Downgraded from a Global to an ordinary topic.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Re: Hurricane Irma Updates

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 pm

As of a few moments ago, checking Amtrak website for Sunday Sep 10, #53, #91, #97 are all "sold out".

99/44% chance that means annulled.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Doubtful we will get news from Cuba, but I expect their lines to be embargoed. I can't find any service disruption notices on the Tren Urbano site https://ati.pr/ but would be shocked if it were running.
mtuandrew

Postby EdSchweppe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:As of a few moments ago, checking Amtrak website for Sunday Sep 10, #53, #91, #97 are all "sold out".

99/44% chance that means annulled.

Mr. Norman called it:
Amtrak Suspends Service in Florida
Severe weather expected to impact region

Sept. 6, 2017

6 p.m. ET

Amtrak will temporarily suspend services in Florida due to severe weather impacting the southeast region.

The Silver Star Train 92 and Silver Meteor Train 98 (Miami - New York City) are cancelled for Sept. 9 - 11.

The Silver Star Train 91 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, Sept. 7. The Silver Meteor Train 97 (New York City - Miami) will operate from New York City to Jacksonville, Fla. Trains 91 and 97 are cancelled for Sept. 8 - 10.

The Auto Train 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is cancelled for Saturday, Sept. 9. The Auto Train 52 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.) is cancelled on Sept. 10 and 11.

No alternate transportation will be provided.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentS ... 1656264747
EdSchweppe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 am

All I can say to Chaz, Mr. Cowford, Mr. Slchub, Mr. Weaver - even though inland Ocala Mike, and our other colleagues in Florida I overlooked is STAY SAFE.

GBN
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Looked earlier (probably changed now) Silver Star had 2 seats left for tomorrow.

Honestly, I wonder if Amtrak could and should add say 5-6 coaches to tomorrow's trains somehow (probably too late).

But I know a number of folks who can't/won't fly that would love to get out of ground zero right about now.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Here's the best I can come up with:
Tri-Rail will shut down after the last trains tonight (Thursday, September 7th)
Amtrak last trains out of Miami today north and south inbound as well
CSX Who knows
FEC Last northbounds 202 this afternoon and 222 this evening out of Hialeah and an extra out of Fort Lauderdale to clean things out, all trains will be long.
The FEC will remove the gates from the crossing signals and take other measures after the last trains today. I think the last southbound was 109 this morning but I am not sure about that one.
My advice to all - read but stay out of Florida until this goes away. 185 MPH winds are unusual in hurricanes, we really don't know how serious this can get. I am huckered in for now.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby John_Perkowski » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Be safe Noel.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby bdawe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Greg Moore wrote:Looked earlier (probably changed now) Silver Star had 2 seats left for tomorrow.

Honestly, I wonder if Amtrak could and should add say 5-6 coaches to tomorrow's trains somehow (probably too late).

But I know a number of folks who can't/won't fly that would love to get out of ground zero right about now.

On twitter they were pointing out that it would have been good publicity for Brightline to have operated some evacuation trains
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby tvcigar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Be safe Florida friends. We are preparing for impacts here in North Carolina as well.
tvcigar

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:50 pm

We're waiting to see where it goes afterwards here in Maryland. Stay safe, we'll catch you on the other side.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:We're waiting to see where it goes afterwards here in Maryland. Stay safe, we'll catch you on the other side.

Ditto in VA. Had to dissuade a friend from visiting Wilmington this weekend, though it's more likely to hurt Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville.

Miamians, check in when you can.
mtuandrew

Postby jcpatten » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I would guess that Amtrak's Hieleah yard is not too far above sea level, and therefore subject to storm surge. Hopefully cars have been removed to the north.
jcpatten

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:00 am

Not too far above sea level but a good distance from the sea. It might not do too bad. Incidentally it is most Tri-Rail's yard, most of that property is state owned although Amtrak and CSX still use portions of it as well as Tri-Rail. Both Tri-Rail and Amtrak have shop facilities there as well. Here in Pompano we still have our fingers crossed.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby tree68 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:56 am

According to a Miami-Dade evacuation map, the yard Hialeah isn't in a danger area for surge: http://mdc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=4919c85a439f40c68d7b3c81c3f44b58

But hurricanes have a way of mocking such planning. Never say never.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home - Safety Begins With Me
Opinions are my own. No Expiration Date
tree68

Next

Return to General Discussion - Passenger Rail