Best places to catch in NJ?

Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

Best places to catch in NJ?

Postby BigDell » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am

Question - I haven't ventured up to that part of NJ in quite some time. Am looking to spend a day shooting from Jersey City and north. Where are the best places to catch NYSW action during the day? Is the line through Bogota still busy? Are there better places in Ridgefield Pk etc? Just wondering where I can maximize my time. I don't see NYSW locos as far south anymore as I used to (used to watch them pass under the NEC as I rode into the tunnel each morning). Now everything appears to be NS/CSX. Open to any suggestions where best to do look.
Many thanks
Bigdell
BigDell

Re: Best places to catch in NJ?

Postby waldwickrailfan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Legally, Ridgefield Park and Bogota would be best. They usually go westbound in the evening and overnight. The only train that goes that far south on a regular basis is WS4, which runs in the evening
CSX MP15T
waldwickrailfan

Postby milkshayke5o8 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:25 pm

YUP, i agree with waldwickrailfan River Line is the easiest to railfan at, legally of course. W Shore Ave in Bogota (CSX) and the Ridgefield Park Station (NYSW+CSX). Also, Teaneck's Milton Votee Park you'll mostly see CSX, a few BNSFs, and an occasional UP.
milkshayke5o8

Postby waldwickrailfan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Yup, the River Line has run through power all the time. However, all trains are CSX, no matter the power on it
CSX MP15T
waldwickrailfan

Return to New York, Susquehanna & Western - Past and Present