Portsmouth Branch Activity

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Portsmouth Branch Activity

Postby gokeefe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:57 pm

newpylong wrote:
gokeefe wrote:Sounds like an upgrade/Class II in the making to me. They're sending ties and doing extensive self-funded work all across the system. Interesting to see it.

Extensive is a relative word. Extensive for them, yes but not anyone else.

That's very fair. I guess its just good to see them trying to make improvements and bringing business online as opposed to filing for abandonment.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:19 pm

They're joined at the hip. They signed on Sea 3...Class 2 track was part of the deal. No new ties dropped, no Sea 3. There's no "trying to make improvements" as if this is evidence of some great sea change in attitude down in the Billericadome. Their largest customer sign-on in decades doesn't happen at all if they don't drop these ties. Therefore, they gonna drop those ties. The Peabody Branch upgrades to Class 1 happened as a requirement of Rousselot's plant expansion, with joint funding. They don't drop the ties, Rousselot switches to trucks. Therefore, they gonna drop those ties. The PORU mills want 286K boxcars, and PAR is desperate to stop the slide in paper carloads. Therefore, they gonna drop those ties.

Even Mellon in all his weirdness isn't blind to the financial physics of action-reaction when it involves an anchor customer.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby gokeefe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 pm

I think it wasn't clear to me that the project was in fact contingent on Class 2 track conditions, merely that the improvements were agreed to and that each would proceed on their own respective timelines.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby newpylong » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm

It's not, a state or local permit cannot be issued contingent on a railroad maintaining a track to a certain class. They just said they would.

The moral of the story is all of the work they are doing system wide, and ever have done on their own dime is not extensive, it's minimal, and usually doesn't last behind one season. The only way that will ever change is if they sell. We have now 33 years to support that theory. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
newpylong

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:10 am

gokeefe wrote:I think it wasn't clear to me that the project was in fact contingent on Class 2 track conditions, merely that the improvements were agreed to and that each would proceed on their own respective timelines.

Yes, it is contingent for the customer. Sea 3 negotiated Class 2 track for reliability of service on the type of hazmat loads that would be transported. PAR did not offer it out of the goodness of their own hearts or to show the residents of Portsmouth what do-gooders they are. They did it because revenue $$$ were at stake, and dithering in negotiation to try to minimize the upgrade work would've lost them carloads or risked the deal collapsing. You don't need state/local laws or community input to compel them to do something when the almighty dollar is the law of business-to-business.

I don't understand why we're splitting hairs here about the definition of "trying to make improvements". They've got a giant wad of year-in/year-out revenue dangling in front of them. Damn straight they're going to do a one-time line upgrade. There's nothing for a two brain-celled businessperson to 'try' hard for there; they just do it. Bad Old Days Guilford™ took action plenty of times in the same situation. Those instances are merely lost in the sands of time because, like newpy said, they were one-off upgrades that weren't sustained. Bad Old Days Guilford™ would only react when there was a deal to be made to increase revenue; they were perennially unresponsive about taking steps to sustain that revenue with year-in/year-out service and maintenance once the customer was in-hand. That's why they lost customers.

Are things a bit different today? Sure. Is this a real sea change in operating practices? You can't make a conclusive call on that, because the Fink Jr./PAS-era management team simply hasn't been around long enough to see how they'll react to follow-through maint obligations on their post-2008 sign-ons. The initial enthusiasm about PAS being a motivating boot-to-the-arse is already fading over things like 'Our Lube Oil Held Hostage, Day 212'. So you can't make lasting conclusions about "trying" based on spotter reports of tie piles on the ground. That Class 2 rating on the P Branch won't last 10 years without cycled replacement of more of the remaining decrepit old ties. Not even the 2001 Downeaster upgrades were a cleanroom job, as we ruefully found out during last summer's season of speedo hell when all those neglected B&M-era ties started expiring en masse. And we've been here many times before on the Rumford Branch where the mills get some bread-and-circuses thrown their way in threadbare upgrades that decayed right back to derailment-city a couple years later because there were no additional installments on that very long branch. These actions prove or disprove themselves over decades, not months. Nobody remembers the spotter reports of tie gangs 5 years later. If they did, we'd still be gushing about that one construction season in 1991 or whenever where "Guys, mark my words...they were really trying hard all over the system!" We unfortunately won't know if the post-'08 regime really tried to be different on-the-ground until several years into the regime of the next ownership.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Re:DO-1Portsmouth Branch Activity

Postby MECFAN » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:08 pm

DO-1 319 with 13 cars 2 reefers, 3 covered hoppers, 5 propane, 1 centerbeam and 2 box out of Portsmouth Yard 14:00. Two loaded covered hoppers and 1 tank car sitting in the yard now for a month or so.
About half of the 8 gons of unloaded ties have been moved further west in the yard next to the north mill pond. The other half still sitting next to the gons. I'm guessing there not installing these soon if they are bothering to move them, but who knows.
MECFAN

Postby Hux » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Like the drums along the Mohawk, I'm hearing horns on the Newington branch right now.
Hux

Postby Dick H » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:23 pm

10 photos of Portsmouth Branch Activity, Thanks to Dan Comick.
http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... an93&key2=
Dick H

Postby Hux » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:58 pm

Nice shots. Heard horns several times today, and yesterday in the late afternoon.
Hux

Postby b&m 1566 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Are they still transloading in the rail yard for Sea 3? I haven't heard or seen anything in regards to Sea 3 expansion; I'm curious to know if that project has started yet?
b&m 1566

Postby MECFAN » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm

They never did any transloading in the yard they are still bringing cars up to Sea-3 maybe 2 to 3 times a week, usually 5 or 6 at a time. Currently there is about 24 cars sitting at Rockingham as of 11:00 this morning. I live in Newington and from what I here they have started the expansion and will ramp up in the spring.
MECFAN

Postby b&m 1566 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:40 pm

I know it was a political move to get the city to shut up and clearly it worked.
b&m 1566

Postby Dick H » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:30 pm

At least some of the LPG cars at Rockingham were dropped there last night 1/3
by DOBO as there was no room at Dover to drop the empties brought down by
the NHN.
Dick H

Postby MECFAN » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:58 pm

DO-1 377 out of Portsmouth Yard 13:00 with 13 cars. 2 centerbeams and 1 box from Boise, 6 gas cars, 2 covered hoppers from Tyco and 2 reefers from Highliner. They came in last night eight 8 cars, 2 boise and 6 gas. There are 6 gas cars sitting in the yard also that have been there awhile.
MECFAN

Postby doublebell » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 pm

The LPG tanker Clipper Venus is currently docked in Newington
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
doublebell

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)