Gardner Gawking

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Gardner Gawking

Postby jaymac » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 am

For 0405-0605/10-17-2018, there was an earlier start and finish, and the only steel-on-steel movement seen -- as will be seen -- was Keolis.
At 0419, D-3 reached out to AY-4, a Zombie-Zone entry eliminating any understanding of the convo. That would be repeated in all aspects at 0423, with somebody's garbled car countdowns in between. At 0430, somebody announced they were ready to come back to Ayer, and a couple later, there was a both-sides-Zombiefied FI-2/D-3 exchange.
At 0435, the 333 WLs were dark, and -- with The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-333 Dunks not opening for another 1500 seconds -- the decision was made to continue west. At 0439, the 334 ELs were already at Stop and the 1 stagger at Approach, 400's equipment -- a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1065 -- getting east at 0441. The 335 ELs and WLs were as dark as the sky.
On the way WB, there was a badly garbled 40.2 report at 0450, track or axle-count not intelligible. Mebbe FI-2? Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were and would remain dark. The yard was almost MT. The gon and covered hopper on the Extension had picked up some company -- a box, and MT centerbeam. and 2 rack loads. There was at last 1 more rack in back of them on the westerly end of Yard 2. Dunno if that was an overflow set-out, but it was puzzling to see an MT centerbeam in among the set-outs.The brush-cutter and untucked-stone status remained unchanged.
The EB trip featured something at 0514 normally heard WB -- a garbled 40.2, presumably for 400, given the 24 axles. The 335 ELs were dark, as were the 333 ELs at 0521. 0523 would bring another mutually garbled FI-2/D-3 exchange, mebbe involving going East to West. Further east, the 330.8 WBs were both at Clear, the 440 WLs both at Stop, and the GL WLs dark.
The FG WLs were both at Stop, and at 0532, the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT, and the old layover's equipment seemed the same. At 0534, D-3 reached out to AY-3, but naught else was heard, except for somebody doing another car countdown. At 0538, the EB staggers for Derby were dark and a solo covered hopper still on the RVJ stub. 0551 would bring the D-3 side of a convo with POSE and the 7517, asking how far they would get and if there would be time to do the swap, ending that he would get back to them. That reconnection didn't take place as of 0605, so dunno what mighta happened. Not that not hearing things means anything, but I hadn't heard a Line 2 for MP X25 to Burncoat, so mebbe POSE was not yet east of X25. Among the other unheards were EDPO, POED, ED-9, 22K, and 287. With only set-out racks in Gardner, 28N was probably still in the future, and with only set-out general also in Gardner, POED and/or ED-9 might already be gone.

(edit for addl info)
From the sound of pre-and-post-0830 crossing noise, 0845 might be a reasonable Burncoat ETA.
"Watching trains is better than smoking meth."
--Source, location, and time undisclosed.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am

As will be seen, 0410-0641/10-19-2018 had moments of strangeness, LA-5 to be precise.
Starting off at the starting point, a slight delay onto roadways was caused by clearing a frosted windshield caused by the 28° reading showing on the car thermometer. Yep, it's getting cold again. Around 0425, there was a mutually garbled D-3/POED exchange followed at 0531 by D-3 acknowledging that AY-3 with the 7?95 was lined and locked normal and derail as it should be. There was more, but garbled, to follow. At 0437, D-3 advised POED -- 7561 IDd as the power -- that there was a a new speedo, garble again claiming the details. POED will be frequently referenced. A minute later, 22K would be heard with their car countdown, along with a 3-step, naught else attributable to them.
At 0443, D-3 told POED they'd have to tell him where they put the 27 cars and that a Grain Train -- more about which later -- was on Freight Main West -- more about which later.
0444 was when the 333 WLs came on with the predictable Medium Clear, followed a minute later be the predictable additional lighting at the platform, followed at at 0450 by 400 giving themselves the OK to leave, a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1133 doing the predictable chain of events at the predictable intervals. An offering was predictably made, followed by predictable darkness at the 334s and 335s .
At 0512, D-2 brightened my predawn day by rogering whatever SEPO had just said, coincidentally letting me know my later crossing of the crossing at Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 would have a reduced chance of complications. No 40.2 report, however, was heard for the 400, probably cuz I was outta range by then.
Up Da Hill, the 345 signals were and would remain -- while I was there -- dark. The yard was pretty well crammed: 4 had racks, 2 had general that included MT centerbeams and mini-bulkheads, and 1 had some racks that didn't show internal reflections. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entries included the gon and covered hopper on the Extension (the additions of 10-17 elsewhere), the brush-cutter on the House, and the untucked stone on the Heywood.
On the 333-straight=shot EB, there were several static eruptions in the Westminster Zombie Zone, at least 1 of which mighta been a Line 4. At 0533, the 333 WLs were dark, 402's equipment still far enough west. Further east and after a refueling stop and possible missed receptions, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL a Slow Clear, and the GL WLs darkness. The FG 1 WL showed a Limited Clear, and just about the same time, there was a both-sides garbled LA-5/D-3 exchange. The last time I heard those parties talk was when LA-5 was sitting just west of the Oakdale OHB with a car of stone for the derailment site a few to the west. D-3 said something about going around POED and matching up with their west end, but the sag at the John Fitch-Summer Street intersection is a serious Zombie Zone. At 0552, NewBlue 345 was dark in the FI-1/2 parking spot, the equipment in the old layover seemed the same, and POED with KCIR 7561 and NewBlue 3402 was creeping west by the old layover. It looked like there was additional -- but obscured -- power there, so mebbe grainer was an EGT.
At 0601, the 40.2 gave a no defects on 1 to 12 axles, not FI-2 since they were already in the yard, so mebbe LA-5. 0607 was when the 40.2 gave a no defects on 2 to 24 axles, 402's time and probable count. There was another bulk-hauler convention at the TVJ yard, so no report on the EB staggers for Derby, occupancy situation of the stub, or LA-5 sighting. A position was taken and maintained until 0612 by the Lawrence Street UGB, but with no luck,
There would be 0631 D-3 garble about LA-5, 9 cars, and POED, but 0640-1 D-3 clarity from CAP to LA-5 with the 7605 about clearing on Freight Main East and then backing onto POED on 1 as passenger traffic permitted.
jaymac

Postby johnhenry » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 am

To see how fast things can change, at 1430 on Friday the Gardner yard was completely empty, save the gon and hopper on the extension. 287 was starting to head west on track 2, and P&W (with three engines) was just about to come in tothe yard and pull up yard 4 with a long string of general freight including double stack CleanHarbor containers on double spline flats. They did not have any (empty) racks. P&W had to hold up at the west switch (they needed headroom on 2 so they could fill 2 yard tracks with their set-off) as the 287 was held at 346 (for an eastbound?) and their tail was just a few west of said switch to the main.
johnhenry

Postby jaymac » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:27 am

One relearned lesson for 0415-0640/10-22-2018 was to remember to bring the scanner inside when cold- -- low 20°s -- weather is predicted. Cold-soaked NiMH batteries don't like participating in electrochemical activity, 0430 being when they'd warmed up enough to start being generous with their electrons. There were ongoing car countdowns, most attributable to AY-4, which seemed to have unfettered access to the yard, hinting that POSE and/or SEPO were elsewhere.
The 0446 arrival at the 333 lot showed the WLs already on and with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, but no headlight reflections along the platform, so somebody other than the 400 was probably on the circuit. Headlight reflection did happen at 0450, and deep into that minute, 400 was on the move. Predictability would now take a double hit. Yes, there was a total of 4 flats and 1 bi pushed by the 1119, but just west of the 1119 was MassDOT 1056 -- hit 1 -- and --hit 2 -- the 333 WLs remained lit without WB headlights going on to the east.
An offering was made, followed by going to 334 where -- besides the 334 ELs and 1 stagger all being at Stop -- BNSF after BNSF covered hopper extended east and west on 1 while over at 335 a KCIR quartet -- 7727 the leader and 7643 the easterly, the middle pair's numbers blocked by branches -- sat an EGT. Oh yeah -- at 0513, the 40.2 gave a no defects on 2 to 400's 28 axles.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were all at Stop, loaded racks on the 2 from east of New Switch to -- as will be seen -- east of West Switch. There were also racks on Yard 1, their load status not visible, but -- as will be seen -- probably loads, also. Other than that, the yard looked MT, even the Extension. Changes to the House and Heywood? Not yet. Remember the racks on 2 being clear of West Switch? At 0530, 287 with the NS 1116 told D-3 they were ready whenever he could take them, the result being a 2-west=to-the-Single-at-CPF-346 241 with the addendum that they would tie down at Tyters. johnhenry had posted about how quickly things could change at the yard. 1 change seems to have been a decision to keep the yard fluid. Dunno whether ED-9 had been through earlier, but there was no general at all. ED-9 mighta been at 346 on 1, but I had things to do, so I was EB without checking, a serendipitous choice for 2 reasons. The 346.6 came on at 0536 -- a trip west to Parkers from the Jade unlikely in that interval, and -- as I was EB -- 28N called out an Approach for the 337.5, followed at 0533 by a call to D-3, the Westminster Zombie Zone garbling his response.
The 402 had already gotten east of 335, but 28N was holding at the Single WL until 402 was far enough east of 333 to let D-3 set the route. In the meantime, AY-3 scratchily advised that they were lined and locked normal and the derail restored -- the Milling? -- and wanted to go 312 to AY. Next, D-2 reached out at to POED with the 7605, asking if he could take the light away from them at 309, so there mebbe mighta been a SEPO/POSE presence there. At 0546, 28N was on the move and -- for those who keep track of such things -- dimmed, wigwagged, and made noise for the sitting EGT. 0550 was when NSs 9932 and 9770 -- Ponies doing an elephant act -- got 36 racks east of the 333 WLs. 0555 was when there were no signs that the EGT was likely to soon be WB, so I was EB.
Further east --- 333 having been bypassed -- the 330.8 WBs showed a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2. 28N had called out an Approach at 330, but was far enough east that those WLs were at Stop when I saw them, the marker getting east of the Fitchburg platform as I was crossing the Water Street OHB at 0606. The 40.2 gave a no defects on 2 to 402's 24 axles at 0607, and the FG WLs were predictably at Stop, but 28N wasn't yet to the gym as I passed it at 0608.
0610 was when the FI-1/2 parking spot was MT and the old layover equipment seemed the same, 0616 being when the EB staggers for Derby were dark and a solo covered hopper was on the RVJ stub. FI-2 -- power unstated -- and D-3 would engage in some convos -- partials to me -- about short time, D-3 not wanting them to move on short time, but not wanting them to tie down on the Camp cuzza a train(s?) coming, with more garble later about -- mebbe -- 1 in the yard.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am

To get the news of our ever-changing ecosystem reported first, the Leominster stretch of I-190 SB has a message board warning of a moose-crossing area.
As for 0410-0620/10-24-2018, again the only steel-on-steel movement seen was Keoilis, as will be seen later. 0413 was the time effective for Form D G-302, a Line 13 allowing NS 9932 -- the 10-22 28N leader -- to leave 313 and head to 312, D-3 seeing if he could get AY-3 to clear up so 287 could do a run-around, 0438 being when D-3 acknowledged AY-3 with the 75?? was lined and locked normal, derail restored, and in the clear at the Milling, and followed by D-3 advising AY-5 -- separate from 287? -- to head in on East Wye and pick up a new Speed Summary that would affect them.
Part of the ongoing background vocals from 0430 on would be AY-4 sounding like they were the only one in the yard. Backing that up -- and with the usual caveats -- would be nothing heard to, from, or about 22K, POED, EDPO, ED-9, SEPO. or POSE. At 0446, the 333 WLs were on with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding and headlights reflecting off the platform. 400 was on the move at 0451, a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the ???? doing the dropping, and predictable events happening at predictable intervals. Isn't power ID a predictable event? Normally yes, but pen-cartridge failure can occur at unpredictable intervals, 0452 being just such a one.
The 334, 334, and 345 signals were dark, 345 remaining so during my stay, and I had gotten outta range of the 40.2 when the 400 was due through. Timing and mebbe topography contributed to nothing being heard from the 40.2..
Up Da Hill, there were loaded racks between the switches on Yard 1 and more racks on the westerly end of Yard 4, mebbe 287 material. There mighta been a few things at the midpoint of Yard 2, but Yard 1's racks were blocking that view, Given the lack of visible general, ED-9 mighta already have gotten wes,t and ED-8 and/or EDPO had left nothing of significance. No changes for either the House or Heywood.
A straight shot EB to 333 was made, a partial reward coming at 0527 when 28N reached out to D-3. Since that was also when I was in the depths of the Westminster Zombie Zone, D-3's response went unheard. 4 minutes later and with 402 still far to the west, the 333 WLs were dark. The 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 WLs a Limited Approach for 1, and the GL WLs darkness.
The FG WLs were at Stop with no 28N to the west, but changed to a Limited Clear at 0544, the route to 2 having been put in for 402. There would be no visible shunting possibilities either side of FG, so mebbe FG is back to constant-on.
At 0546, dark NewBkue 345 was in the FI-1/2 parking spot, and the old layover equipment seemed the same. A few later, not only had the covered-hopper census on the RVJ stub increased to 3, but the EB staggers for Derby showed an Approach for 1 and a Clear for 2. Dunno, but mebbe they're back to constant-on cuz it was early for 402 to be on the circuit and naught -- even garble -- was heard in the next few from the 40.2.
At 0611, there was a garbled car countdown, a clearer one coming at 0614 -- 28N, an indication that mebbe 287 might be enough west to be shunting Derby.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:49 am

The 0415-0630/10-26-2018 A and 𝛀 would involve the Worcester Main, starting with 0415 crossing noise as I was getting in my car and not followed by losing a too-large chunk of my life on the wrong side of the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing. This would be followed at 0447 and later when D-3 asked Q426 about their train length, ~5400' being available between New Bond Street and Greendale East, and if they couldn't fit, they would have to park at New Bond. That was followed by permission to come up as far as they could, letting D-3 know where they were. Right around 0500, the discussion shifted to 7585 -- remember the noise? -- and 4500" and other measuring issues, all of which led this listener to believe there might actually be an imminent SEPO/POSE live swap in the works. Given the prevalence of Zombie Zones, it was no surprise that naught further was heard until a 0619 both-sides D-3/Q426 exchange in which 426 advised D-3 that they hadn't seen anybody yet and D-3 advised 426 they could tie it down and go home. Naught further was heard as of the end of my listening, but it was nominally transfer time and Chief and/or Chiefs mighta been involved. Nothing enlightening had been eyeballed at the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 recrossing, either.
Back to FML things <MP 346: The 0446 arrival at 333 showed the WLs on with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding and EB headlights already reflecting off the platform. 0450 was when the 400 gave themselves the OK to depart, 1 bi control car, 4 flats, and the the 1129 doing their unsurprising things at unsurprising intervals, which is not to mean that there were no surprise: At 0452, Signal Truck 1157 called out to D-3 from 333. Yes, there was a truck sitting dark and down by the WL bungalow. Because D-3 was involved in serial dialogs with Q426 and the 7585, the 1157's 0452, 0457, and 0459 calls wen unanswered. Whatever subsequent 1157/D-3 comvos mighta happened went unheard -- no surprise -- by me. Complicating things was the Yard Channel locking up with static a few times, so mebbe something got said on the Dispatcher and Road Channels that got preempted.
The 334, 335 and 345 signals were dark, the 345s staying that way during my stay. Gardner yard had general on 4 that included MT centerbeams; FP-FP general on 2 that included boxes, LP tanks, tented centerbeams, and on the east an articulated DMIX table with Clean Harbors containers; and 2 NS mini-bulkheads of steel on 1, probably overflow from 2. The Sameoldsameold Ledger entries continued to be the brush-cutter on the House and the untucked stone on the Heywood. While in Gardner there was a garbled D-3 transmission, possibly from a West End antenna.
After another straight-shot EB trip to 333, the 333WLs were again lit at 0537 with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, 402 at the platform, and a truck still by the bungalow. Further east and after a refueling stop, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, and the 330 1 WL a Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0555, NewBlue 345 was dark and solo on West Side, and the equipment that had been on the old layover was elsewhere. A couple before that, D-3 had told somebody -- POED? -- to talk to AY-4 and stop by the yard office for a list, that there would be a Gardner pick-up, and something further about power, that part eaten by the Zombie Zone.
At 0602, 402's total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1127 was east of North Leominster and past the now-5 covered hoppers on the RVJ stub with an Approach on 1 and a Clear on 2 at the EB staggers for Derby. At 0607, the 40.2 would give a no defects for 24 axles on -- no surprise -- 2.
While lots got heard, lots didn't. The rack lack in Gardner indicated that if the PW had brought any up, they were already west, the same location applying for 28N. 22K mighta been all tucked away. Dunno.
jaymac

Postby johnhenry » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm

To extend today's chapter, although not about the title subject, I saw a long train at Wachuset Reservoir at 1030. Because I was driving north on 12 and couldn't look around for more than a second, I'm not sure if it was east or westbound, but will assume it was an the aforementioned 426/SEPO. What remains a mystery to me (and isn't that what makes watching trains and life in general interesting) is how an SEPO and a POSE can swap at Greendale/Barbers without being picked up like a toy (unless one or the other is less than 18 cars long and able to fit on the siding).
johnhenry

Postby jaymac » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:17 pm

johnhenry-
Who -- especially me -- knows? With "challenged" reception and not knowing the precursors, snippets are all that are available. Mebbe 7585 had headpinned at Graniteville or the Hill Yard in order to get to 426 for a Greendale power swap. Given -- again -- reception and timing issues, if there was a Line 2 for X25 to Burncoat, I didn't hear it. What I did hear was D-3 sounding like things hadn't gone as planned.
jaymac

Postby johnpbarlow » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:47 pm

The edition of SEPO switching at Hill YArd Ayer at 2pm today had 3 big color coordinated CSX locomotives (ie not the grungy MEC faux CSX C40-8 units). However, I don’t know if/when SEPO departed for the Stony Brook and points north and if the CSX engines remained its power.
johnpbarlow

Postby jaymac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks, Sox, for a bit of good news in an otherwise grim period!

For 0405-0605/10-29-2018, there was -- as will be later seen -- actual PAS steel-wheel-on-steel-rail movement seen. The early listening was primarily Yard Channel garble, no surprise given the earlier and ongoing rain. At 0425, D-3 clearly acknowledged 28N having gotten 20 cars spotted, getting them a cab with the guess they were going back to Dover. That is serious crew checkers. A minute later, somebody asked if SEPO was coming up, answer unheard by me. To save suspense, naught further was heard of SEPO -- or POSE, for that matter -- and no inconvenience was later encountered during the Temple Street/Rte. 140/MP X7.8 crossing crossing,
At 0434, the 333 WLs were dark, and D-3 also gave 22K with NS 7554 their yarding instructions, followed by the hedzup that AY-3 wouldn't be in the yard, but AY-4 would. Given the interval until The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-333 Dunks would be open for services, a move was made to 334 and the sight of dark signals. Over at 335, the ELs were at Stop, but soon went dark, showing that 400 had already gotten east while I was getting west, a direction that I maintained.
At 0450, 400 was heard giving themselves the OK to depart, followed momentarily by the 40.2 giving a no defects on 2 to 306 axles, 22K seeming a safe bet. Up Da Hill, there were loaded racks -- no surprise -- on Yard 1 between the switches, general including wrapped centerbeams FP-FP on Yard 2, and hoonosewut on Yard 4. The Extension was crowded -- more centerbeam wraps, tables with steel sheet, a covered hopper, and 2 mini-bulkheads of steel. Dunno if the last 2 were new or leftovers from 10-26. Also dunno if all or some of these were overflow from Yard 2 or set-outs. No change for the House's brush-cutter or the Heywood's untucked stone. The 345 signals remained dark during my stay.
During the straight-shot return to 333 -- the WLs dark at 0517 -- AY-4 would be engaged in car countdowns. To the east, the 330.8 WBs would show a Stop for 1 and a Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs would be dark. At 0537, it sounded like 22K was doing a car countdown, possibly -- as a later transmission might indicate -- to clear CPF-AY.
At 0531, NewBlue 345 was shoving full-size covered hoppers east on West Side, and the old layover remained MT, explanation for which coming in various NERAIL postings over the weekend. At 0535, the Fitchburg Dispatcher asked 400 if they're having issues or if it was just wet or slippery rail. 400's response was garbled, but a T Service Alert did show a 5-10 minute delay for 400 cuzza slippery rail. At 0538, there were still 5 covered hoppers on the RVJ stub and the EB staggers for Derby showed Approach for 1 and Clear for 2. Dunno if there mighta been some puddle-shunting going on or if there mighta been a WB holding east on 1, but in a couple, D-3 would give NS 7554 permission to reverse direction at CPF-AY, so 22K was too far east to be on the circuit.
On the rest of the trip, there was topography-determined Yard-Channel clarity and garble, the last coupla minutes being AY-4 and 22K each doing car countdowns.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:24 am

For 0415-0625/10-31-2018, not much seen in motion, but still there were sights. The sounds featured alternating 22K and AY-4 car countdowns with occasional 3-steps and good brakes added in. AY-4 would be a constant for the balance of the trip. Unheard -- the usual caveats in effect -- was anything to, from, or about EDPO, POED, ED-9, 28N, 287, POSE. SEPO, or even AY-3 and AY-5. At 0435, FI-2 reached out to D-3, but the AY-4/22K chorus preempted receiving any response.
At 0441, the 333 WLs came on, a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding. A minute later, headlights reflected off the platform, a source of relief for however many or few riders, given that 24° was the car thermometer display. At 0445, the 40.2 gave a no defects on 2 to 92 axles. Dunno if that mighta been a long WB FI-2. 0450 was when 400 was on the move, 5 flats and the 1072 doing nothing eerie and no one else on the circuit to keep things lit.
A costumed crew at The Shrine Of The Deity Of The CPF-333 Dunks maintained Hallowe'en tradition, and signals to the west -- 334, 335, and 345 -- maintained darkness. No report for 400 from the 40.2 was heard, but that coulda been cuzza distance and/or AY-4 and 22K convos.
Up Da Hill and in the yard, there were racks on 4, general on 2 and rack loads on 1 and onto the Extension, the earlier Extension occupants elsewhere. Again, there were no changes for either the House or the Heywood, although the Heywood wear-surfaces looks like they had gotten some wear.
More AY-4 transmissions were the EB soundtrack, and the 335 and 334 signals were dark, as were the 333 WLs at 0535, 402 engaged in a convo to the west. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed a Stop for 1 and Clear for 2 and the 330 1 WL a Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark.
0541 was a busy minute: NewBlue 345 -- dark and solo -- was sitting on West Side, the old layover remained MT, and ED-8 -- not part of the group listed earlier -- called out to D-3. They would announce that the recrew was on board at North Leominster, but that dailies had to be done on the engines. D-3 asked them something about Worcester and then asked the to let him know when they were ready to leave. In another few, there was ED-8, ADM tanks clearly visible, but power IDs obscured by buildings and trees. There were mebbe 3 units total, a KCIR and a NewBlue -- 300? 600? 3400? 7500? -- and mebbe something else. ED-8 probably wouldn't be going east until 402 had, and transfer time was approaching, so I continued EB. It looked like there was a traffic jam inside the RVJ yard, so I didn't add to it. From Nashua Street, it seemed like the covered hopper situation was still plural.
During a break in the alternately clear and garbled AY-4 transmissions, there was a broken 40.2 at 0608, close on 402's Shirley time, but nothing heard from D-3 to ED-8.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 am

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a slippery read.
0415-0650/11-02-2018 featured fog and rain in varying amounts, the rain -- as will be seen -- a factor in less-than-fluid operations for activities on Da Hill. Various spates of static would resolve at 0426 with a clear AY-4 car countdown. To get it out of the way, AY-4 countdowns -- joined later by 22K's -- would be the intermittent constant of the listening period.
At 0430, a temporarily-clear D-3 would tell the Loaded Grain -- D-3's phrasing -- that POED -- much more about which later -- was coming through WL and should be out of the way. There was more D-3 business with the LGT, but a Zombie-Zone transit interfered with that. AY-4 would also advise D-3 on the Channel 2 that the 1 -- yard? -- was clear.
0448 was when the 333 WLs came on with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding. A minute later, headlights reflected off the platform, and another minute later, 400 gave themselves the OK to depart, 4 flats and the 1121 doing the usual things at the usual intervals. The usual interval until the opening-for-services of The Shrine Of The CPF-333 Dunks was too much today, so 334 was the next stop, signals there and a few later at 335 being dark. The interval between 334 and 335 and just before 0500 was radioactive. POED with the 7534 asked if they were working Gardner, 22K was waiting for the passenger to get clear, and -- back to POED -- there was wheel-slip on the rear unit at Derby.
The 40.2 report for the 400 went unheard cuz I was too far west when it woulda happened. no 40.2 report had been heard for POED.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were and would remain dark, but that -- as again will be seen -- would be temporary. There were FP-FP racks on Yard 4, Lotsa general west and a few racks east on Yard 2, General -- including another NS mini bulkhead of steel -- west of the Yard Lead switch on Yard 1, and half a dozen rack loads on the Extension, again unknown if overflow or set-outs. Anyone expecting any changes in the the Sameoldsameold Ledger entries has a greater amount of optimism than I do -- brush-cutter still on the House and untucked stone still on the Heywood.
Back down Da Hill, the 335 WLs were dark, but a side-trip to 334 was made where the 334 ELs were at Stop and the fog-augmented headlights of 402's equipment -- east in plenty of time for on-time departure with 4 flats, 1 bi, and an illegible 10?? -- brightened the predawn day. The 334 stagger? Double green. Did I wait? Yes. A series of transmissions and receptions would next begin. At 0533, the 40.2 would give a no defects on 2 to 414 axles. At 0536, D-3 would say that the Milling switch was lined an locked normal and derail restored to the LGT, unknown if this was an advisory or an acknowledgment. At 0538, a series of POED/D-3 exchanges started. Approaching Wachusett, POED was down to 12 MPH, asking D-3 to request Rigby for a 3rd unit for the next time, theses units not liking rain, train length and not tonnage the issue, and what about Gardner. The Chief wanted a pickup, but ED-8 would be there, so pull down to 346 and back to do the pickup, and it was downgrade from Gardner. 9 MPH was now the new speed, and they might not make the Hill, almost stalling at 333. During a POED/D-3 break, 22K -- the 414 axles? -- OKd themselves for 60 at 0542. POED was back on the air, advising that it was upgrade at Millers Falls, and then 402 gave themselves the OK to go at 0545. What happened at 0547? The 334 ELs and 1 stagger went dark. POED hadn't yet made it to the circuit. A trip east was made, but POED was already crawling through 333, as they were at 334 a few later. The 335 1 WL was still at Clear and POED's lights were just east of the curve. At 0602 -- the same time as 404's crew started their air -- KCIRs 7534 and 7595 plus 83 got east of the 335 WLs. There were a good number of LPGs: boxes that included a solo Smurf: a few slurries; some covered hoppers; and good numbers of Irving, Twin Rivers, and Maibec-wrapped centerbeams.
Further east there was a solo "AY-5" spoken at 060 3 and a badly garbled 40.2 at 0610, a couple off 402's time. A refueling stop -- possible significance of which in a couple -- next took place, the 330.8 WBs next showing a Clear for 1 and Stop for 2, the 330 2 WL at Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark, and at 0623, dark NewBlue 345 (w) and KCIR ???? sat coupled on West Side, and the old layover remained MT.
0624 was when the significance of the reception-less refueling became clear. D-3 told POED -- having apparently stalled however far west of 335 -- to double their train to Gardner cuz there was no one to push them. It took my intracranial gerbil wheel about 30 seconds to reach full speed: With ED-8 in Gardner and yard tracks occupied, how would the double be done? The answer was provided by a 0627 D-3 announcement of a change of plans: ED-8 would come east to pull POED up. At 0630, the EB staggers for Derby showed an Approach for 1 and Clear for 2 and 5 was still the covered-hopper count on the RVJ stub.
Although AY-4 and 22K countdowns had been and would continue to be heard, naught was heard about actual arrangements for the ED-8/POED interaction. What did get heard was 0648 as the time effective for Form D G-308 to 28B with the (NS?) 9488, a Line 13, permit the leaving of 313. Although lotsa other stuff had been heard, 28N being anywhere near there had gone unheard until then.
Busy coupla hours for the eastern part of D-3...
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am

Slipperiness is a recurrent theme for 0415-0640/11-05-2018. Might as well throw in AY-4 being busy in the yard and on the radio throughout that period and 22K not. At 0425, D-3 began a colloquy with ED-8 --really early? really late? -- about what to do at Gardner, the important parts being lost to a Zombie-Zone transit, Zombie Zones an additional recurrent theme.
The 333 WLs came on with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding at 0449, 0453 being when 400 got on the move, 4 flats, 1 bi, and the 1034 doing the usual at the usual intervals. The 334 and 335 signals were dark, and I mighta been outta range when the 400 transited the 40.2, but naught was heard. Naught -- also -- would be heard from the 40.2 on 402's time, but there was complicating topography during that time-window.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs and WLs were at Stop, and ED-8 with KCIRs 7594, 7595, and 7534 was starting to haul into the yard at 0520. At 0519, there had been a slightly garbled 241 for FI-2 with the 345 -- more about which later -- at Derby. There were rack loads on Yard 1 and onto the Extension, Yards 2 and 4 looking at least temporarily MT. The brush-cutter was on the House, but an up-close-and-personal of the Heywood was bypassed to get to Parkers. Why? My normal OCD was magnified by a clear reception of just the ID "AY-5." 0529 was when the 346 WL was at Stop and Parkers was MT. Mebbe 346 was lined for 2, or equally mebbe it was lined for 1 with a short AY-5/287 gotta sight to the east. Dunno.
During the straight-shot-to-333 leg, first the Fitchburg and then the Boston West dispatchers reached out to the 400 -- remember them? -- asking if the cause of delay was slippery rail. The reason for the double-teaming was evidently that 400 couldn't hear them and/or they couldn't hear 400. Boston West did get through eventually, but whatever he acknowledged was -- naturally -- garbled. If there was a Service Alert for the 400, it had been scrubbed by the time I looked. In other Zombie-Zone news, D-3 tried raising FI-2 at 0542 with no audible results.
0543 was the time of my 333 arrival, the 333 WLs already on and with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding.0545 was busy: 402 was on the move then, a total of 5 flats and 1 bi plus the 1071 doing the usual at the usual. That was also when D-3 would start a convo with POED, holds at Camp for Keolis and for FI-2 at Lafarge. There was also the word that an EB -- 28n or ED-8? -- had stalled on the Hill cuzza leaves, so things could be "dicey," a too-soon-true prediction. At 0549, there would a D-3 transmission to (Q?)427 that would be garbled, but included something about air. 0552 would be when there was more D-3 garble to POED about a station platform.
Further east, the 330.8 WBs were both at Clear, the 330 WLs -- now visible again from just east of the Rollstone Street OHB -- and FG WLs at Stop. The FG WLs were dark, 402 far enough east, and at 0604, the FI-1/2 parking spot and old layover were MT, but West Side wasn't. NSs 8463 and 7647 were sitting dark on the west end of non-BNSF covered hoppers, mebbe 1/2 an EGT, mebbe not.
At 0612, the EB staggers for Derby would show an Approach for 1 and a Stop for 2 (402?), and there would be 6 covered hoppers on the RVJ stub. 0612 was also when POED would reach out to D-3, no response audible. 0615 would be when POED would now advise that they were stalled by Shirley station, and D-3 would respond. They were 25-30 cars away from the automatic at the station, Zombie Zones now getting busy. At 0631, D-3 would advise POED that he could give them a unit, but couldn't get it to them, and FI-1 would not be on duty until 0800. There was more and garbled back-and-forth involving mebbe getting a cab to POED to get the additional unit, followed at 0639 by another garbled D-3/POED exchange. Dunno whether POED's problems were a unit failure and/or leaves, how long whatever track at sShirley would be tied up, whether the Paterson Road crossing was fouled or how it would all work out.
Wasn't trick-or-treat last week?
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 am

For 0415-0640/11-07-2018, AY-4 would again be the dominant presence on the airwaves. There would be sometimes broken and sometimes clear car countdowns and stretches and 3-steps. There would be a clear ID at 0437 -- followed by nothing immediately -- but by a good amount later -- ED-8.
The 333 WLs came on and with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding almost at 0448. The platform got brighter and then darker as 400 was on the move at 0450 with a total of 3 flats and 1 bi plus the 11?? doing all the usual things at all the usual intervals. In one bit of OT info, there was a good amount of paving equipment staged either side of the easterly end of Authority Drive, but dunno if there'll be any shutdowns. The 334 and 335 signals would be dark, and mebbe cuzza distance and/or mebbe cuzza AY-4 being busy, naught was heard for 400 from the 40.2, more about which later.
Up Da Hill there was general -- covered hoppers, a mebbe-LP, and a few boxes -- on Yard 1 tight against New Switch and naught else visible south of the mains. Yes, the brush-cutter was still on the House and untucked stone still on the Heywood.
The straight-shot EB was radio-inactive, and at 0532, the 333 WLs were dark, 402 to the west and no one else on the circuit. Further east, the 330.8 WBs showed Stop for 1 and Clear for 2, the 330 1 WL at Slow Clear. The GL and FG WLs were dark, as was KCIR 5974 sitting solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot at 0545, and the old layover remained MT.
At 0551, ED-8 (as promised) with the 7552 began a convo with D-3. They were lined and locked normal at OX with 18 for Ayer. D-3 gave them their yarding instructions, advising that AY-4 was working West End. Given that there might be a bulk-hauler convention at RVJ, the old station site east of the Main Street UGB was the choice for viewing. The EB staggers for Derby were both at Clear, ED-8 and 402 getting close. 7552 and 7?98 plus 18 were the first by on 2 at 0556. There were a good representation of unplacarded tanks -- corn-products service? -- and some boxes. 402 with a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1058 and the smell of hot brakes was at the platform at 1 end of 0601 and gone before the other end. As posted, there would be more about the 40.2, the more being naught being heard by 0610 for either ED-8 or 402, 402's Shirley time being 0608. Mebbe the 40.2 was OOS or mebbe the steel in the station garage just to the east was shielding. Dunno.
The RVJ yard was open, so a view of the EB staggers for Derby was made at 0613 -- both at Approach -- and also of the RVJ stub, now at 3 covered hoppers. From I-190, there was continued Yard Channel garble that cleared occasionally, clarity involving an ED-8/AY-4 exchange Unlike some days, AY-4 was not the end of listening. That distinction was in relation to AY-3 when -- between 0636 and 0638 -- D-3 rogered whatever they said, asked if they wanted a reverse, and rogered whatever their unheard-by-me response was.
Among other unheards was anything to, from, or about 28N or 287 (probably well west, given Gardner's lack of racks), 22K, EDPO. POED. AY-5, SEPO, or POSE.
jaymac

Postby jaymac » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 am

0415-0635/11-09-2018 had its sameoldsameolds and its surprises, as well.
At 0427, there was a broken D-2 241 for 309, the to-whom and to-where lost. 0431 would produce a Zombiefied D-3 transmission to AY-3 and then "AY-5" -- just the ID -- would be heard. The first time AY-4 became audible was at 0432, the last coming at 0635. D-? called out to POED with the 7655 at 0438, and shortly afterwards, there was more Zombiefied D-3 to AY-3, hinting mebbe POED would be on 1 from 312 to WL. At 0443, D-3 would acknowledge somebody was lined and locked normal, adding weight to the earlier supposition. 0444 was when AYPO with the 7500 asked D-3 if they could apply their power, the response being lost, but musings weren't. Was AYPO just an as-needed to clear out the yard, or was -- given the new order of things on the Worcester Main -- AYPO a rebranding of SEPO? The new order of things might also explain AY-4's apparent increase in activity.
Musings were put on hold at 0446 when the 333 WLs came on with a Medium Clear for the Controlled Siding, the usual events happening at the usual times, and in the usual sequence, thanks to 400's total of 3 flats and 1 bi plus the 20??. Darkness back at the 333s a trip was now made to the west. Unlike as on 11-07, there was only 1 piece of equipment -- a dump -- on the side of the easterly end of Authority Drive. The 334s and 335s were dark, and I was -- in multiple senses of the phrase -- over Da Hill before 400's transit of the 40.2.
Up Da Hill, the 345 ELs were both at Stop, and general on 2 at the Timpany Boulevard UGB was just starting to haul east, ED-8 with NewBlue 7552 and KCIR 7898 come to a stop by New Switch at 0509. There was general on Yard 1, so mebbe they had just been set off and ED-8 had gotten themselves back together. Visible on the 2 were full-size and shortie covered hoppers, boxes, tanks and wrapped centerbeams. At 0514, ED-8 would call out to D-3 with no immediate response and no change in the Stops on the 345 WLs. After seeing that there would be no deletions from the Sameoldsameold Ledger -- the House's brush-cutter and the Heywood's untucked stone still there -- a trip was made to Parkers, the 346 WL at Stop and the 1 MT at 0524, a return to the Jade was made. ED-8 again called out to D-3 at 0532 with -- again -- no immediate response. The crew was being paid to wait, but I wasn't, so I was EB, observing that the 345 ELs remained at Stop, so there was no imminent WB. Mebbe D-3 did get back to ED-8 while I was in the Westminster Zombie Zone. Dunno.
The 333 arrival was in time to hear 402 give themselves the OK to go, a total of 4 flats and 1 bi plus the 1065 doing the usual events in the usual sequence at the usual times.
To the east and after a refueling, the 330.8 WBs both showed Clears, and the 330 WLs both showed Stops. The GL and FG WLs were both dark, and at 0604, KCIR 5974 was dark and solo in the FI-1/2 parking spot and the old layover MT.
No report during the appropriate time window for the 402 was heard from the 40.2. Coulda been topography and/or AY-4's continuing activity. At 0612, the EB staggers for Derby were both at Stop, and the RVJ covered-hopper count was now 3.
With the usual caveats, nothing further had been heard to, from, or about AYPO or POED and no idea on any status of 28N, 287, 22K, or an EDPO.
jaymac

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)