Pan Am Worcester Branch

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Pan Am Worcester Branch

Postby jaymac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:23 am

Johnhenry-
P.13 has a number of posts about CSX wanting to cut back on how far east their power goes. Mebbe this is a low-cost approach.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby Trinnau » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 pm

CSX doesn't necessarily want to cut back, Pan Am does. CSX charges Pan Am for every hour Pan Am has their locomotives. That's cash out the door. Now that Pan Am has spent money to buy enough "reliable" power to handle what can be a monster train, it makes sense to swap at interchange instead of Lowell or Portland.
Trinnau

Postby Ironman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 pm

johnhenry, this is now the regular move.
Ironman

Postby johnhenry » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 am

Recently I had observed how the engine swap was made westbound, with the train being dropped on the main east of the Burncoat crossing, PanAm engines going into the yard limits and swapping with waiting CSX power at the Greendale siding, and then getting a new form-d to head east back to the train, doing a brake test and roll by at Burncoat, and bringing the train down to New Bond (Shay) to park and wait for CSX to take it west.
One time I saw an east bound get pulled up with CSX power to the west end of Greendale, where the power was then swapped. This was a relatively short train however, as the distance between New Bond and the west end of Greendale is about 4000 ft. I wondered how they handled larger trains.
Yesterday I saw that CSX pulled up to New Bond and PanAm took over, leaving the train (which I am guessing was longer than 4000 ft) where is was while doing the power swap. Between getting situated in the CSX power, getting situated in the PanAm power, and doing all the moves and then pulling the train past New Bond, about 2 hours was used up. During the entire time, the P&W had it's northbound Gardner local stuck behind the train, and there was much complaining and "we won't let this happen again" radio conversation.
johnhenry

Previous

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)