Salem Action Alert

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Salem Action Alert

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:58 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:The boxcar of intrigue has returned??? :wink:

No, it just never left! I wonder if PAR charges per day, or if there's a mutually agreed upon deal to simply store it there for free to both parties.
BostonUrbEx

Postby RenegadeMonster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Is it just me, or am I seeing a lot for freight action through Salem in recent weeks?

I saw 2 i none week when I took the 6:05 train out of North Station to Salem Recently. Passed one just south of Lynn, the the other we had to wait outside of the Salem Tunnel on the South side for it to clear.
RenegadeMonster

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Two trains per week is typical right now. Generally Tuesdays and Thursdays. More or less service as needed, and shifting days around as needed.

Given the investment Eastman put in to the branch, I'm a little surprised there isn't just a little bit more traffic than this.
BostonUrbEx

Postby RenegadeMonster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:42 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:The boxcar of intrigue has returned??? :wink:

No, it just never left! I wonder if PAR charges per day, or if there's a mutually agreed upon deal to simply store it there for free to both parties.

Is this the Box Car south of the Salem Tunnel that looks like you would need clear some brush now to get out?
RenegadeMonster

Postby doublebell » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:10 pm

That is the car.

Rousselot had to upgrade the branch to bring acids back by rail. Rousselot is doing more business than Eastman did in its later years.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back.
doublebell

Postby RenegadeMonster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Little bit off topic, the derail device by that box car has just been freshly painted yellow. It glows it's so bright.

What are these derail device for? I get that there are there to prevent theft. But really, are they even needed? It's not actually that a trailer you can back a truck up to and drive off with. Locomotives are not that easy to come by and dispatch would know you are in the area / have to give you signals. Are they a archaic thing from a past time when there were many many diffrent small railroads competing for business?
RenegadeMonster

Postby neman2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:40 pm

RenegadeMonster wrote:Little bit off topic, the derail device by that box car has just been freshly painted yellow. It glows it's so bright.

What are these derail device for? I get that there are there to prevent theft. But really, are they even needed? It's not actually that a trailer you can back a truck up to and drive off with. Locomotives are not that easy to come by and dispatch would know you are in the area / have to give you signals. Are they a archaic thing from a past time when there were many many diffrent small railroads competing for business?

Derails have nothing to do with theft. They are there to prevent railcars on a siding from rolling on to the main line and causing an accident.
neman2

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:56 am

doublebell wrote:Rousselot had to upgrade the branch to bring acids back by rail.

If they left it at Excepted Track status, only 5 acid cars at a time could be delivered. At the current level of service, I honestly don't think that would impact service very much.
BostonUrbEx

Postby newpylong » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 am

The railroad will not move hazmat over Excepted track period despite the 5 car capability.
newpylong

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 am

Is that their legal right when hazmat has not been moved over trackage for a long time? I thought Harcross Chemical was getting the occasional hazmat on the Hillsboro Branch.
BostonUrbEx

Postby newpylong » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 am

RR policy to maintain to class 1 for anything other than occasional infrequent service.
newpylong

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm

BO-1 brought 4 loads to Peabody today (3 bones, 1 HCL) and turned out with 5 empties. They made a stop at Castle Hill to pull an empty (residue Heptane) from Univar.
BostonUrbEx

Postby doublebell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Six bones and two acids off Bridge Street this afternoon, heading to Peabody.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
doublebell

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:34 pm

And they returned to Boston with five empties -- three hoppers and two tankers.
BostonUrbEx

Postby RenegadeMonster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 am

When I see a CSX Locomotive on the Eastern, Is it actually CSX or PAN AM renting a locomotive?
RenegadeMonster

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)