Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

I can't remember if the east end of the siding would be at CPF 185 or a new CPL 1, but either way, I believe it was designed so the switch would be east of the diverging Freight Main Line. This would protect the siding from freights to some degree, but as newpy said, this company has used every nook and cranny at least once.
BostonUrbEx

Postby doublestack » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 pm

I'd think CPL1 would be correct, keeping the DE off the main for a few more miles west.
From the PPH November, 2016,
Adding a second set of tracks in the four-mile stretch through Falmouth and Cumberland will make it possible to run five daily round trips between Brunswick and Boston.
The complete article:
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/08/17/r ... d-service/
Peter
doublestack

Postby gokeefe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Pretty sure it's Royal Junction west. At least that's where the rail has been dropped ....
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby swist » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:28 pm

All trains are coming to a complete stop both north and soutbound where the ROW crosses Forest Ave (at a very acute angle) in Portland a few miles north of the PTC. Been this way for at least a month. Signals and gates appear to be working. Anyone know what's going on?
swist

Postby Mikejf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm

It has been longer than that. A plow truck hit something by the intersection and apparently the city (or whomever) does not want to pay for it. I think the gates work but not at speed.
Mikejf

Postby gokeefe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Saw track crews doing some pretty extensive work right in that area at Walton Street. Some unusual spot tie replacement right near the crossing.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby 690 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm

They've been digging around trying to figure out what's going on with the crossings there.

Postby Dick H » Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 pm

The City of Dover did some "patchwork" on the pavement at the Third St. Crossing
today, with PAR personnel supervising. Reportedly, that crossing is on tap for
a complete rebuild in 2018.
Dick H

Postby gokeefe » Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Forest Avenue crossing is going to be rebuilt. Probably in 2018. I was not aware of this nor had I read it anywhere else. It is part of a larger project for that intersection.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby MEC407 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 pm

From the Forecaster:

Forecaster wrote:BRUNSWICK — The four years leading up to the construction of the Amtrak Downeaster layover facility on the west side of town was marked by resistance from some residents, who feared an increase in noise and pollution in their neighborhood.

Now that the 60,000-square-foot, 665-foot-long facility has been operating since November – stowing trains overnight in a cleared area that was formerly a rail yard – some say their fears have been realized.

“(They) all came true,” said Charlie Wallace, who helped lead the campaign against the train barn during the planning process that began in 2011. While he does not live in the neighborhood, he said he works there and has owned and developed property since the 1970s.

At Monday’s Town Council meeting, Wallace and another abutter complained about regular noise disruptions from train horns and middle-of-the-night trash pickups that wake the neighbors. They said the building has caused a “fundamental change in the (neighborhood’s) noise level.”

Read the rest of the article at: http://www.theforecaster.net/brunswick- ... -realized/
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby gokeefe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Worth remembering that establishing a quiet zone is a local perogative. Without it train horns are mandatory at all public grade crossings.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby BandA » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I would think trash collection is completely under local ordinance, not subject to preemption.
I bet they open the doors a lot in the summer - is this facility air conditioned?
Is exhaust filtered?

How are railroad diesel fumes regulated? What tier is Amtrak's equipment?

What is the alternative to blowing the horn when the train enters the yard? Would have to be some type of positive acknowledgement from a flag person. Or maybe a technical solution: A motion detector/locator scans to make sure nobody is in the track, and four red led light strings mounted each side of the rails light up the occupied block. During snowstorms they would revert to horns.
BandA

Postby newpylong » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 am

The facility has all of the above, it is brand new. P42s are Tier 0 I believe.
newpylong

Postby Cosakita18 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 am

Noticed in the 3 year Maine DoT Work plan that there is a $750,000 allocation for "Preliminary Engineering for Portland Transportation
Center platform" in 2018, and then $4.3 million allocated for "Portland Transportation Center construction" in 2019

Does anyone know more about this?
Cosakita18

Postby swist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:40 am

Just as a curiousity, how is the no-horn situation handled - for example, all of Freeport is no horn, I assume it was a town decision. When a crossing is no-horn, is anything done to counter the measure of safety that was removed? Although the speed limit through Freeport is certainly not 79MPH, it's at least 55-60 on the ends of town, and 30 in the center (plus the station stop).
swist

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)