Railfaning between Albany and E. Deerfield

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Railfaning between Albany and E. Deerfield

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 pm

I have always wanted to railfan Pan Am but haven't yet. But, I plan to take a day off of work in the next couple of weeks and do so. I live in Albany, NY, and wouldn't want to go farther east than E. Deerfield. I don't know the territory, but I have an issue of Railpace with some maps. I don't own a scanner, so I have no way to know if trains are on the move. But, I plan to make a day of it, parking in one spot, and just sitting it out.

Can anyone recommend a public spot that has good visibility in both directions, preferably with some sort of signal nearby that might give an indication of whether a train is in the block or not? Any good places to explore? I don't plan to chase a train (except maybe on the way home).

Also, is one weekday better than any other generally speaking?

Thanks.
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Railfaning between Albany and E. Deerfield

Postby newpylong » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm

East Portal of the Hoosac Tunnel has a nice lot to sit in and there is an interlocking in plain sight. Also any of the parking lots next to the tracks in North Adams. It's double track, an interlocking, and also the Berkshire Scenic railroad is there.
newpylong

Postby Safetee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm

north adams has the added attractions of the hoosac tunnel museum which is very good and it's free. also good chow at the adjacent bar restaurant , vestiges of b&m electrification, berkshire scenic has some stuff around there as well but will be closed shortly. traffic is always spotty but usually you get some eastbounds going through around 6am, the adams and north bennington locals maybe mid day, westbounds around 6-7 pm.

The east deerfield yard is hard to beat for train activity with the conn river intersecting the freight main and the yard itself with major old timer buildings lots of power. hang out by rail fan bridge and the bike trail parking lot. regardless of what pas does or doesnt do or run, there are usually two amtrak trains every day on the conn river about half a mile from the yard. i say usually because buses are not unheard of on the conn river service.
Safetee

Postby Benjamin Maggi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Safetee wrote:The east deerfield yard is hard to beat for train activity with the conn river intersecting the freight main and the yard itself with major old timer buildings lots of power. hang out by rail fan bridge and the bike trail parking lot.

Do you mean McClleland Farm Road?
Benjamin L. Maggi
A&A Railroad Forum Moderator
Benjamin Maggi

Postby KSmitty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Yes.
KSmitty

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)