Lowell activity.

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Lowell activity.

Postby mulfreak » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:19 pm

I just happened to see a train heading west thru the depot area today at work. So I grabbed my coat for a closer look. There led by the 610 PAN -AM and under power were the MEC 615 and two HLCX engines towing 4 Union Pacific 8000 series engines and maybe 15 cars mixed. The first one in tow the 8885 a had no engine cowlings. Looked like it wanted to drag. They all had a J that was newly stenciled under the windows. Looked different then the last three letters HLX/CLX TTX or whatever leasing company owns these. I'd imagine they are going somewhere for repair? Wonder did they take the Canada route to Maine. Yea the Conrails are of the colors you mention there is alot of swapping that goes thru here. They have been swapping at the Concord brige sometimes lately. 3 will pullin and hang at the bridge and then cut west thru Lowell. Then two or three different will hitch and carry on. Federal law has horn blowing rules for grade crossings. I believe it's 2 long and two short blast within a certian distance from grade crossings. The bells are optional except for commuter rail approaching a depot.I think? If I was operating a freight train I would blast that horn and ring that bell for all to hear. I did not use MPH as a measurment of train speed thru Wigginville in a recent post. I used MPS.
mulfreak

Postby MEC407 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:30 pm

mulfreak wrote:They all had a J that was newly stenciled under the windows. Looked different then the last three letters HLX/CLX TTX or whatever leasing company owns these.

The reporting mark is JLCX, which belongs to J&L Consulting, Ltd.

You can read more about these four locomotives in the MMA forum: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86909
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby mulfreak » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you MEC 607. I checked out the forum. Got to Maine in October. Lot of good speculation on where they are headed and for what? They did look big and the 8885 without the engine cowlings missing clearly had 2 seperate large diesels. The 4 engines that were towing them were all under power.
mulfreak

Postby mulfreak » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Happy New Year all. After further review I believe I was looking at just one large engine on the JLCX 8885. This morning the CSX 3161 and 3159 headed east thru Wigginville stopped about 50 yds east of my vantage point. Then they backed west only 150yds not quite to the Morton St. bridge. They then headed east again bout 5 min later with 60+ mixed. Did note many tanks with white placards. Then it stopped with the ATSF 315 30 3 bulk blocking my veiw of the next train thru here about 30 min later. Headed east also and clearing Wiggenville,the HLCX 8146,the Smurf's sister, MEC 615 and the everpresent HLCX 7842. Maybe 50 in tow mixed.
mulfreak

Postby newpylong » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 am

mulfreak wrote:I just happened to see a train heading west thru the depot area today at work. So I grabbed my coat for a closer look. There led by the 610 PAN -AM and under power were the MEC 615 and two HLCX engines towing 4 Union Pacific 8000 series engines and maybe 15 cars mixed. The first one in tow the 8885 a had no engine cowlings. Looked like it wanted to drag. They all had a J that was newly stenciled under the windows. Looked different then the last three letters HLX/CLX TTX or whatever leasing company owns these. I'd imagine they are going somewhere for repair? Wonder did they take the Canada route to Maine. Yea the Conrails are of the colors you mention there is alot of swapping that goes thru here. They have been swapping at the Concord brige sometimes lately. 3 will pullin and hang at the bridge and then cut west thru Lowell. Then two or three different will hitch and carry on. Federal law has horn blowing rules for grade crossings. I believe it's 2 long and two short blast within a certian distance from grade crossings. The bells are optional except for commuter rail approaching a depot.I think? If I was operating a freight train I would blast that horn and ring that bell for all to hear. I did not use MPH as a measurment of train speed thru Wigginville in a recent post. I used MPS.

2 long, 1 short, 1 long until lead engine passes grade crossing. Bells are also mandatory (most new units automatically ring when horn is sounded).
newpylong

Postby mulfreak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:48 pm

The Lowell depot area was a beehive of activity today. I stayed late at work until 5:30 and from 2:30 to when I left everytime I looked out the dock doors something was moving. The 7148 605 +604 soloed west after dropping of a cut then it got dark and at least 3 seperate trains went west. There was a Guilford engine going back and forth lining them up. Everything was headed west. Nothing thru Wigginville eastbound to report.
mulfreak

Postby mulfreak » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Nothing thru Wigginville at all yesterday. Thought there must be a bottleneck somwhere. So far today there was 1 that hung thru here about 9 AM. Did not see the power however I get a look at one of the new hazmats thru here. More HOKX (occidental) flaging white corrisive placards. "new" 1848 Propionic acid. These are new thru here. HMM??? The 604 and 609 came thru westbound with a ghost in the lead I did'nt see with 50 mixed
mulfreak

Postby Red Wing » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Does anyone know what the cars that have been parked on the mainline under the I495 bridge are for. Been there for about a week now and I believe they are gondolas (driving though can't get a good look).
Red Wing

Postby Trinnau » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:32 pm

LOSA - dirty dirt from the Wynn site (former Monsanto Chemical) in Everett. See related thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=163334
Trinnau

Postby Red Wing » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:36 pm

That was my feeling. Tough to tell if anything moves when your going by at highway speeds. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Red Wing

Postby newpylong » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:33 pm

LA-? Rolled a bunch of cars at Shop today.
newpylong

Postby GP40MC1118 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:24 pm

LA-3...flipped three cars over just inside of Shop Interlocking around 4PM-ish.
GP40MC1118

Postby mulfreak » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Going to be a long winter. I'm back. Two vantage points every day. Wigginvillet home and across from the Lowell Depot every day at work. Nothing really stands out that I have seen lately. Usual activity, maybe an uptick. Did see the Pine Tree caboose both in Lowell and Saint Mary's Ga. I'll keep in touch if you would like. Mul
mulfreak

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks, and we would like!
Rockingham Racer

Postby drvmusic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:17 am

mulfreak wrote:Going to be a long winter. I'm back. Two vantage points every day. Wigginvillet home and across from the Lowell Depot every day at work. Nothing really stands out that I have seen lately. Usual activity, maybe an uptick. Did see the Pine Tree caboose both in Lowell and Saint Mary's Ga. I'll keep in touch if you would like. Mul

Yes, please :-)
drvmusic

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)