Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

Postby fromway » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 am

It is interesting that the article states that up to 100 truck loads of water will be transported. That is a lot more traffic through a community like Lincoln. It will be interesting to see where they construct the loading dock for all of those trucks. I wonder if it is near any of the existing rail layout.
fromway

Postby newpylong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am

The wood had to come from somewhere when the mill was operating too.
newpylong

Postby Mikejf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am

There used to be a lot more truck traffic than that. Loads in and out of the mill of both raw and finished product.
Mikejf

Postby fromway » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 am

OOPs! I forgot about the past activity that was needed for the Paper Mill. Good Luck to Lincoln.
fromway

Postby Mikejf » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:43 am

I am sure others have forgotten too. Increased complaints will be normal, but that will because the trucks have been gone for a bit.
Mikejf

Postby fromway » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 am

Last night the Portland City Council approved a zoning change that will allow the height of certain buildings to be 75ft tall in the area of the western section of the port area. This gives the Port Authority the go ahead to build a Cold Storage facility that will be a huge help in bring frozen products to the port as well as helping Maine products on the way out.
fromway

Postby fromway » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:31 pm

The NIMBYs are already out screaming that the building will destroy the appearance of the waterfront. Have they taken a good look at where they are proposing the new building? It is the WATERFRONT not a park.
fromway

Postby gokeefe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 am

fromway wrote:Last night the Portland City Council approved a zoning change that will allow the height of certain buildings to be 75ft tall in the area of the western section of the port area. This gives the Port Authority the go ahead to build a Cold Storage facility that will be a huge help in bring frozen products to the port as well as helping Maine products on the way out.

Wow, no kidding. That's great news.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby MEC407 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:35 am

They're not concerned about the waterfront, they're concerned about their view from up on the hill above the waterfront.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby BM6569 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:11 am

I drove by there yesterday. Looked like one empty three car set on the siding. Some containers stacked up on the western end. A white refrigerated container was further down. Nothing was going on.
BM6569

Postby markhb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 am

Portland has a referendum going up in the November election that will effectively kill a lot of development in the city by enshrining pure NIMBYism into law. The West End folks who are objecting to the zoning change are pushing it andhave already submitted a petition that would block the warehouse as proposed.

From the linked article:
A citizen referendum on the November ballot would block rezoning efforts if 25 percent of registered voters living within 500 feet of a proposed development site sign a petition objecting to the change. Developers could override a petition if they collect signatures from a majority of residents living within 1,000 feet of the site.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb

Postby Cosakita18 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Eimskip is adding another vessel on Green Line service, and making weekly calls to Portland by December.

http://mainepublic.org/post/eimskip-pla ... d#stream/0

An Icelandic shipping company says it will double its scheduled calls on the port of Portland, starting with weekly trips in December.....

....Insfeld says the company is projecting a 50 percent increase in cargo moving through Portland in 2018.
Cosakita18

Postby pnolette » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Wish some of this would leave the port by rail. As of right now Eimskip doesn't use rail out of Portland
Peter B&MMEC
pnolette

Postby gokeefe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

If volumes keep increasing I think it will almost be inevitable that shippers will consider it. Having weekly service probably will help the case quite a bit.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby johnpbarlow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:56 am

We get cod and haddock (isn't this like carrying coals to Newcastle?) and they get blueberries (Maine?), cranberries (Mass?), candles (Yankee Candle?), and chocolate (NECCO?) - hopefully Eimskip is rinsing out those outbound containers before they load it with berries, etc! Not sure what else New England could export - craft beer? Interesting...
johnpbarlow

PreviousNext

Return to Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)