CSX Boston and Albany Line

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby Knucklehead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:06 am

charlie6017 wrote:I was under the impression that the entire B&A had continuously lit wayside signals that were only
at interlockings.

Charlie


The B&A from COVE interlocking in Boston to CP-21 in Framingham has Automatic Block Signals, with signals at both interlockings (CPs 3, 4, 11) and intermediate signals (2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18). From CP-21 to CP-187 the line is Cab Signaled, with signals only at interlockings. In all cases, the signals were dark until a train was in the circuit at which time the signals lit up.
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Backshophoss wrote:As I understand it,Amtrak's CETC controls to CP 3,From CP 3 to Worcester is currently CSX DS in Selkirk,
will be MBCR DS, not Amtrak's CETC.

MBCR & Amtrak are both in the same room, no big difference.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Knucklehead wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:I was under the impression that the entire B&A had continuously lit wayside signals that were only
at interlockings.

Charlie


The B&A from COVE interlocking in Boston to CP-21 in Framingham has Automatic Block Signals, with signals at both interlockings (CPs 3, 4, 11) and intermediate signals (2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18). From CP-21 to CP-187 the line is Cab Signaled, with signals only at interlockings. In all cases, the signals were dark until a train was in the circuit at which time the signals lit up.


there is also an ABS 7. For extra information, it is Rule 261 ABS signals between COVE and CP 21 and then switches over to Rule 362 (Cab Signals) with Rule 261 (still in effect for travel in both directions on the same track)
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby Knucklehead » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 am

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:
charlie6017 wrote:I was under the impression that the entire B&A had continuously lit wayside signals that were only
at interlockings.

Charlie


The B&A from COVE interlocking in Boston to CP-21 in Framingham has Automatic Block Signals, with signals at both interlockings (CPs 3, 4, 11) and intermediate signals (2, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18). From CP-21 to CP-187 the line is Cab Signaled, with signals only at interlockings. In all cases, the signals were dark until a train was in the circuit at which time the signals lit up.


there is also an ABS 7. For extra information, it is Rule 261 ABS signals between COVE and CP 21 and then switches over to Rule 362 (Cab Signals) with Rule 261 (still in effect for travel in both directions on the same track)


Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Knucklehead wrote:Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol

As log as you don't have one of those 'mental vacations" while passing automatic 14 heading east, I'm ok. LOL.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby csxb&aconductor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm

or auto 10 going west ;)
csxb&aconductor
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby Knucklehead » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:31 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:
Knucklehead wrote:Thanks for the correction...I know Automatic 7 is there and meant to list it, but my fingers and brain were not talking when I typed...lol

As log as you don't have one of those 'mental vacations" while passing automatic 14 heading east, I'm ok. LOL.


or at least make sure one pays attention to Automatic 10 and 14 so you DON'T blow through the absolute signal at CP-11!!! lol
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Automatic 10 isn't as bad as 14 as it is closer and the signal tends to stay fresh in one's head more.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 pm

does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:Automatic 10 isn't as bad as 14 as it is closer and the signal tends to stay fresh in one's head more.


I agree, especially if one has to make the Wellesley stops at the Hills and Farms
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of the CSX guys. Coming east, you're usually more tired because you've been on duty longer than you have been if you're just leaving Beacon.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the CSX guys. Coming east, you're usually more tired because you've been on duty longer than you have been if you're just leaving Beacon.


I know, throwing in a lil joke, for us MBCR boys, the trip in from Worcester can be a long one haha
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby Ironman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?


Yes, Q264 power stays in East Brookfield unless they have P&W's, then the power will usually stay on the P&W. If westmost engine is no good to go west, due to no cab signal, facing wrong direction, ect. then the power will go to the North Yard in Framingham to be wyed.

The local still serves the chemical place, but yes all the road jobs are lite engines out of Beacon. All movement in Beacon Park is lead 3 TV 1. Switches are lined and locked and Beacon is now controlled by the engine house.
Ironman
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:37 am
Location: Albany, NY

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby railman616 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 pm

I love 5 mph from CP4. It's like watching paint dry. Over 20 minute to get to the house. Here one for you Matt, Slow Speed Control system work great except for the dip at Cambrdge Street. You just have to remember to turn it off if you want to go faster.
Last edited by railman616 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
railman616
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Westford, Ma

Re: CSX Boston and Albany Line

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Ironman wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:does anyone know if Q264's equipment is still laying over in Nevins yard these days or does CSX keep the power on the controlled siding in East Brookfield? also, I assume that all the intermodal trains are beginning their journey out of Beacon Park as lite engines, for ex Q119, Q019 etc, going to Worcester to get the train that is already built, and then continue on their journey west?


Yes, Q264 power stays in East Brookfield unless they have P&W's, then the power will usually stay on the P&W. If westmost engine is no good to go west, due to no cab signal, facing wrong direction, ect. then the power will go to the North Yard in Framingham to be wyed.

The local still serves the chemical place, but yes all the road jobs are lite engines out of Beacon. All movement in Beacon Park is lead 3 TV 1. Switches are lined and locked and Beacon is now controlled by the engine house.


Thank you for all the information Ironman! Wow the B&A has changed alot in the last 3 years in operations, and physical characteristics, new age emerging
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3507
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

PreviousNext

Return to CSX Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest