New Windsor, NY Branch

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

New Windsor, NY Branch

Postby NaugyRR » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:02 am

Hey guys,

I was in New Windsor, NY over the weekend and crossed a set of tracks on Union Avenue. I Google mapped it in satellite view and it looks like a branch off of the River Line, splitting off in Newburgh. The only sign of life I saw was a few carloads of scrap near the start of the branch.

Are these tracks still used by CSX?

Thanks everyone!
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Re: New Windsor, NY Branch

Postby Noel Weaver » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm

NaugyRR wrote:Hey guys,

I was in New Windsor, NY over the weekend and crossed a set of tracks on Union Avenue. I Google mapped it in satellite view and it looks like a branch off of the River Line, splitting off in Newburgh. The only sign of life I saw was a few carloads of scrap near the start of the branch.

Are these tracks still used by CSX?

Thanks everyone!

I think what you saw was the remains of the Erie Newburgh Branch. Conrail did not take this line but there was some business on the Newburgh end and in order to service those customers they restored the connection with the River Line, used that to provide service at that end of the branch and the remainder remained with the Erie Lackawanna estate and was abandoned and torn up. These changes occurred at the start of Conrail in 1976.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Re: New Windsor, NY Branch

Postby NaugyRR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you Noel, I appreciate the info! :-D
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Return to CSX Transportation