CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby BR&P » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Another CSX embarrassment although this does not appear at first glance to be connected to the changes on high.

Last weekend in Indianapolis, two cars rolled out of their State Avenue yard, rolled downhill about 3.5 miles, and smacked into a standing train whose crew had been alerted and had gotten safely away. When the dust settled, and they were starting to evaluate the derailment, a frantic radio transmission informed them that 5 MORE cars - tank cars this time - were on their way. Those cars rolled down the same route and slammed into the derailed cars from the first incident a few minutes earlier.

No injuries, no hazmat altho one article says there was - but one can only imagine the uproar from company officials, FRA inspectors, municipal authorities, etc.

News article here: http://fox59.com/2017/08/25/authorities ... west-side/
BR&P
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby mmi16 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 pm

BR&P wrote:Another CSX embarrassment although this does not appear at first glance to be connected to the changes on high.

Last weekend in Indianapolis, two cars rolled out of their State Avenue yard, rolled downhill about 3.5 miles, and smacked into a standing train whose crew had been alerted and had gotten safely away. When the dust settled, and they were starting to evaluate the derailment, a frantic radio transmission informed them that 5 MORE cars - tank cars this time - were on their way. Those cars rolled down the same route and slammed into the derailed cars from the first incident a few minutes earlier.

No injuries, no hazmat altho one article says there was - but one can only imagine the uproar from company officials, FRA inspectors, municipal authorities, etc.

News article here: http://fox59.com/2017/08/25/authorities ... west-side/


You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby BR&P » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm

mmi16 wrote:You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.


Well maybe for you, but for those of us who don't have a time machine it happened August 25th. So I should have said "weekend before last", or "less than 2 weeks ago". As for the "dollar short" part, that's the story of my life! Image
BR&P
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby mmi16 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 am

BR&P wrote:
mmi16 wrote:You are about a month late and a dollar short. Happened in early August.


Well maybe for you, but for those of us who don't have a time machine it happened August 25th. So I should have said "weekend before last", or "less than 2 weeks ago". As for the "dollar short" part, that's the story of my life! Image


Actually happened August 5th. Indy paper got the audio clip of the Dispatchers Radio and published it on the 25th. That audio clip, I am sure, would not have been released through 'official channels', even though it does demonstrate complete professionalism of all parties participating in the various communications.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby BR&P » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 am

mmi16 wrote:Actually happened August 5th. Indy paper got the audio clip of the Dispatchers Radio and published it on the 25th.


Were there two separate incidents in Indy, about 3 weeks apart? The link I posted was from 10:40AM on the 25th. It does not agree with the "cars running away from the yard" scenario, but I put that down to the media not being up to speed. The one in the link says

several train cars with grain and liquid were parked on the main line for some unknown reason, and then the cars were hit by a train coming through because it couldn’t stop on time.

The collision occurred at South Harding Street and West Henry Street just before 10 a.m.

Authorities say the leaking chemical is non-toxic and non-flammable.

So that's a separate deal entirely? Image
BR&P
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: CSX runaways in Indianapolis

Postby Gadfly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 am

Is CSX saving money by cutting down on DERAILS? :P :P :P :P Seriously, leaving cuts of cars on a main line is asking for all kinds of trouble, not to mention runaways
Gadfly
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:28 pm


Return to CSX Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests