New Windsor, NY Track by Union Avenue

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

New Windsor, NY Track by Union Avenue

Postby David Hutchinson » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:28 am

can anyone tell me about the track that is by Union Avenue in New Windsor?
David Hutchinson

Re: New Windsor, NY Track by Union Avenue

Postby johnpbarlow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:34 am

Perhaps this track is the remnants of the Erie RR's Newburgh branch from Greycourt, NY?
johnpbarlow

Postby David Hutchinson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 am

An eyewitness that I know ( he has a business about 50 feet from the track ) said that equipment came through and trimmed the trees along the right of while..... he also states that trains are now coming by down to Tarkett. He said something "new" was going on down there. He is not a railroad person, but said that one of the trains he saw had an empty flat car with wire dangling off it.... centerbeam lumber car?
David Hutchinson

Postby AMK0123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 pm

The track you are referring to is the Newburgh Industrial track (ex-Erie newburgh branch). I was by there today. The lines only active freight customer is Ray's railroad materials. I'm drawing a blank on the road name but right near the New Windsor / Newburgh line. I usually drive by when I go fan the River Line. There has been a decrease of cars coming to them in the last couple of months. Today there was two scrap cars located there. They had installed a new siding just outside the yard however, I have yet to see anything located on it. The line up to Rays was over grown and looking at the dirt going across the rails at the crossing just north of there, nothing has gone over there in quiet a while. I assume this brush clearing was just yearly/ bi-yearly maintenance, maybe a hi rail vehicle or two. Its at least a couple more miles to get down to Tarkett at the end of the line. However, if you hear of any new customers for the industrial track please pass along. Any new customers are a good thing however, with current management I highly doubt it...
AMK0123

Postby David Hutchinson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 am

I'll ask my friend to get a picture..... that will tell a lot. Thanks for the info....
David Hutchinson

Postby cr9617 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

cr9617

Return to CSX Transportation