CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?
NashuaActon&Boston

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?

Pre-1990, but not by much. 1988, perhaps?
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?

Pre-1990, but not by much. 1988, perhaps?

Thanks. That sounds about right to me.

Found an odd statement on a CSXradio reference site today -

"The former Fitchburg Subdivision has been removed and is considered a running track between QBU 4.3 TO QBU 34.9 (Fitchburg) to QBU 34.9 (Framingham) and under control of the Fitchburg Yardmaster on channel 64"

The author must've meant Framingham Yardmaster as opposed to Fitchburg Yardmaster>? I doubt even Conrail would've had a yardmaster based at Fitchburg in the 1980s, when the late Subdivision was still intact. I don't get the impression it was a busy interchange point in its final years.
NashuaActon&Boston

Postby newpylong » Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 am

25 miles at restricted speed, that must be fun.
newpylong

Postby Clo131 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:26 am

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how often, and roughly at what times, the freight trains run through Sherborn on the Framingham Secondary line? I'm looking at buying a house in that area and the plot is right near the tracks. If the train runs very early in the morning or late at night that would be an issue.

I've also learned that the state bought this line and are upgrading it to possibly increase the frequency of freight trains and maybe run a passenger service from Framingham to Foxborough on game days. Does anyone have a sense of how likely these two things would be?

Thanks in advance.
Clo131

Postby dbperry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Clo131 wrote:Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how often, and roughly at what times, the freight trains run through Sherborn on the Framingham Secondary line? I'm looking at buying a house in that area and the plot is right near the tracks. If the train runs very early in the morning or late at night that would be an issue.

I've also learned that the state bought this line and are upgrading it to possibly increase the frequency of freight trains and maybe run a passenger service from Framingham to Foxborough on game days. Does anyone have a sense of how likely these two things would be?

Thanks in advance.

Answered here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=165789
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
dbperry

Previous

Return to CSX Transportation