CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Thu May 18, 2017 2:50 pm

I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?
NashuaActon&Boston
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:10 am
Location: Concord, MA

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?


Pre-1990, but not by much. 1988, perhaps?
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7359
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby NashuaActon&Boston » Thu May 18, 2017 3:29 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
NashuaActon&Boston wrote:I know the answer is posted up here somewhere but does anyone know offhand when the section between Leominster and Fitchburg was taken OOS? My guess would be early 1990s, likely even before?


Pre-1990, but not by much. 1988, perhaps?



Thanks. That sounds about right to me.

Found an odd statement on a CSXradio reference site today -

"The former Fitchburg Subdivision has been removed and is considered a running track between QBU 4.3 TO QBU 34.9 (Fitchburg) to QBU 34.9 (Framingham) and under control of the Fitchburg Yardmaster on channel 64"

The author must've meant Framingham Yardmaster as opposed to Fitchburg Yardmaster>? I doubt even Conrail would've had a yardmaster based at Fitchburg in the 1980s, when the late Subdivision was still intact. I don't get the impression it was a busy interchange point in its final years.
NashuaActon&Boston
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:10 am
Location: Concord, MA

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby newpylong » Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 am

25 miles at restricted speed, that must be fun.
newpylong
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm
Location: NH

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby Clo131 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:26 am

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how often, and roughly at what times, the freight trains run through Sherborn on the Framingham Secondary line? I'm looking at buying a house in that area and the plot is right near the tracks. If the train runs very early in the morning or late at night that would be an issue.

I've also learned that the state bought this line and are upgrading it to possibly increase the frequency of freight trains and maybe run a passenger service from Framingham to Foxborough on game days. Does anyone have a sense of how likely these two things would be?

Thanks in advance.
Clo131
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 am

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby dbperry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Clo131 wrote:Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but does anyone know how often, and roughly at what times, the freight trains run through Sherborn on the Framingham Secondary line? I'm looking at buying a house in that area and the plot is right near the tracks. If the train runs very early in the morning or late at night that would be an issue.

I've also learned that the state bought this line and are upgrading it to possibly increase the frequency of freight trains and maybe run a passenger service from Framingham to Foxborough on game days. Does anyone have a sense of how likely these two things would be?

Thanks in advance.


Answered here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=165789
Known to Keolis and the MBTA as "Twitter Dave"
Frequently posting about the MBTA Framingham-Worcester line on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FramWorMBTA
Owner of Framingham-Worcester Blog: http://FramWorMBTA.weebly.com/
Maintainer of MBTA schedule archive: http://www.dbperry.net/MBTA/
User avatar
dbperry
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Suburbs of Boston

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby johnhenry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Reisner Scrap in Clinton is now out of business, based on my observation of the rusty rail there, the clean-out of the scrap yard, and my searching the closing story in the local paper.
johnhenry
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 am

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby Knucklehead » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm

I recently came across an interesting post on a local blog regarding a proposed Boston Worcester Airline Trail, a multi-use path running from Framingham to Worcester: http://www.mysouthborough.com/2018/01/2 ... ent-322845

It appears as if a portion of the path is proposed over the former Boston to Worcester Trolly line which was abandoned in the late 1930s or early 1940s. What really struck my eye was a map of the proposal depicting a portion of the path to run along the current (and active) CSXT Fitchburg Running Track right-of-way, starting in Framingham Center, and running through Southborough to Marlborough Junction. Here is a link to the entire proposal (see sections which reference the railroad right-of-way 4.3, 5.1 S4.1):

https://www.town.westborough.ma.us/site ... alt_v2.pdf

I have a hard time believing that CSXT would allow such a mixed use of their right-of-way. Granted, this is a low volume, FRA Class 1 track, but still, they are generally concerned with liability. I did find the following language within the proposal: "The Framingham section of the trail depends on a lease from CSX for a rail with trail. CSX has resisted this on other trail projects, but the value of connecting to Framingham makes this worth pursuing."

I could be wrong, but as F-Line to Dudley has stated in the past, I believe there is still enough business on this line (Safety Kleen, Ken's Foods, Mass Container, NewCorr, Bestway) to ensure it will not be abandoned in the near future, although the track conditions are deplorable at best. I will be interested in seeing where this proposal ends up.
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby johnhenry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 am

There is a dbperry post on another forum stating that 724 no longer outlaws in Clinton when serving customers north of there. What is the new schedule then (it used to be Tues and Thurs to go north after sitting overnight at Clinton)?
johnhenry
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 am

Re: CSX Fitchburg Secondary Discussion

Postby Knucklehead » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:51 pm

johnhenry wrote:There is a dbperry post on another forum stating that 724 no longer outlaws in Clinton when serving customers north of there. What is the new schedule then (it used to be Tues and Thurs to go north after sitting overnight at Clinton)?


I believe with a change in designation as a "running track" from a "subdivision", as well as a change in work rules since the arrival of EHH, switching operations are not as cumbersome and time consuming on the crew, and they are able to switch the line's industries quicker, which results in running to Clinton (and even Bestway) most days and returning to Framingham. From what I understand, if they have to go all of the way to Leominster (which still occasionally receives a car or two), then they may outlaw on the line.
Knucklehead
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Previous

Return to CSX Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest