Lehigh Line double track

Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

Lehigh Line double track

Postby CPSK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi;
Can anyone tell me how far west from CP NK the Lehigh Line is double track?
I can see clearly on Google Earth that it is double as far west as the curve juse east of Bound Brook, but then GE maps become very poor and I can no longer see the track clearly.

And while on the Conrail forum, does anyone know where the HBD/DED with callout "Newark" is located? I hear it all the time on the CR channel from my home in Teaneck NJ (on my Yaesu VX-150 with a Ringo Ranger on the roof).

Thanks for any info

FW
User avatar
CPSK
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby CPSK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Well, looks like I have figured this out. Watching some YouTube vids of the Bound Brook station it is clear that the double track goes at least to there. But how far west does it go?
User avatar
CPSK
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby charlie6017 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am

I believe the line becomes single track right around Port Reading Jct (Manville?)

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
User avatar
charlie6017
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby CPSK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:47 am

charlie6017 wrote:I believe the line becomes single track right around Port Reading Jct (Manville?)

Charlie

Thanks.
I am getting better GE images farther west, and see double track on both sides of the tunnel, but of course the tunnel itself is single track.

FW
User avatar
CPSK
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby charlie6017 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 am

That's right........I believe it was around 1995 that Conrail single-tracked through the tunnel to
accommodate double-stack containers. Prior to that, it was a main-track with a passing siding
through the tunnel.

Charlie
~Charlie Ricker
User avatar
charlie6017
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Rochester, New York

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby CPSK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:47 am

charlie6017 wrote:That's right........I believe it was around 1995 that Conrail single-tracked through the tunnel to
accommodate double-stack containers. Prior to that, it was a main-track with a passing siding
through the tunnel.

Charlie

Yea; That was CR's big "raise the roof, and lower the track" project. From what I know, in some tunnels, both procedures were done to increase clearance.
User avatar
CPSK
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby waldwickrailfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Double tracked from Newark to CP Meade on CSX and Newark to PRJ for NS
CSX 3GS21B-DE
waldwickrailfan
 
Posts: 1662
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby train2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 pm

NS is very shortly about to extend true double track a few miles west (or south) of Port Reading. A track called the Royesford (SP?) runner is, as I type this, being upgraded to either a main and a siding configuration or two main tracks. As a result a number, about 3 sets of searchlights will be removed. The new signals are already standing.

I am told the name of the new interlocking will be named for an employee and is not geographic. Listen for a new interlocking that starts with the letter "S."
train2
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Re: Lehigh Line double track

Postby TAMR213 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:49 pm

train2 wrote:NS is very shortly about to extend true double track a few miles west (or south) of Port Reading. A track called the Royesford (SP?) runner is, as I type this, being upgraded to either a main and a siding configuration or two main tracks. As a result a number, about 3 sets of searchlights will be removed. The new signals are already standing.

I am told the name of the new interlocking will be named for an employee and is not geographic. Listen for a new interlocking that starts with the letter "S."


Just to add on to this and correct some things:

The track being upgraded is known simply as the "Royce Runner" (named after Roycefield Road in Hillsborough NJ). I believe it is being upgraded to two mains (but I could be wrong) - I say this due to the fact that it was already used in similar fashion to a siding. In addition to the signal upgrades, the formerly hand thrown switch on the west end is being upgraded to a dispatcher controlled interlocking as stated.
Erik Romatowski
Moderator - Conrail, Teen Railroad Enthusiasts

http://erikr.rrpicturearchives.net/
User avatar
TAMR213
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:03 pm
Location: Somewhere between Automatic 301 and 308


Return to Conrail - 1976 to the Present

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest