Baldwin coupler assembly

Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

Baldwin coupler assembly

Postby Desertdweller » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Greetings!

I am new to this forum, this is my first post. I am a locomotive engineer about to wrap up my career by retiring in 12 weeks.

A friend of mine (also a long-time engineer) asked if I'd put this question to the forum. He has a complete coupler assembly for a Baldwin Diesel switcher, produced in the early 40's. It is equipped with a buffer compressor for switching passenger cars.

He is curious what this is worth, and if any members out there know of someone who may need it.

Les
Desertdweller

Re: Baldwin coupler assembly

Postby GOLDEN-ARM » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 am

todays spot price for scrap iron, is $325.00/ton.
GOLDEN-ARM

Location: " SunRail CFRC 100, North at Church Street Station"

Postby Desertdweller » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Not to worry: it will not wind up as scrap iron (although that seems an attractive price to me).

My buddy's name is Brian Miller. He will be attending the NRHS convention in Tacoma this summer. Anyone interested can find him there. If no one can use it, he'll take it to Wisconsin and use it on an Alco he is working on there.

Les
Desertdweller

Postby locomotive112 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm

What kind of coupler (AAR type; D or E Older; Simplex, Sharon, Tower, Climax, Alliance etc..) is on the gear?
Think about what you want. Decide to have it. Plan how to get it. Make it happen!
"Only with a great plan can a great project become a great reality"
"An idea without a plan is just a dream"
Loco112 (NarrowGaugeExchange Forum)
locomotive112

Postby Desertdweller » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Type E coupler (National Brand, ca.1944), drawbar, and buffer compressor style of coupler(for switching passenger equipment), swivel pin for the back. Baldwin supplied these couplers for almost all of their switchers and many roadswitchers pre-1950.

Les
Desertdweller

Return to Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton