Tacoma BNSF scrap and/or OOS Engines

Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

Tacoma BNSF scrap and/or OOS Engines

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 pm

A few nights ago on a trip from LA up to Seattle, we were heading through Tacoma when an I-5 detour took us off the highway and through the city a bit. I'm not too familiar with Tacoma but it seemed we came to an engine storage yard where it looked as if there were 5-6 engines that looked very out of service on a stub track next to the road. Does anyone have any idea why they were there? Are they being scrapped? Were any possibly left over from decades before BSNF had taken over other railroads? (I saw a few that just said Sante Fe)

Weird question, I know. If it wasn't almost 2am, I would have grabbed some pictures.
theseaandalifesaver

Re: Tacoma BNSF scrap and/or OOS Engines

Postby NorthWest » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 pm

It's hard to tell, but I'm guessing you stumbled into Progress Rail Services near the port. I'm not sure what the locomotives would be other than perhaps SD75Ms in preparation for rebuild, but I don't know.
NorthWest

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:17 pm

I think that was it. I wasn't aware that Tacoma had something like that. Though I'd stumbled into some abandoned possible museum relics or something.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby John_Perkowski » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

There's OOS storage line at Murray Yard, North Kansas City, MO. At last count, there were something like 50 GE B-B and C-C units stored.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Return to BNSF Railway (Burlington Northern Santa Fe)