CMQ Profitability

Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

Re: CMQ Profitability

Postby Zeke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 am

I recently watched a YouTube video of a train interchanging in Millinocket yard and spotted two brand new CMQ covered hoppers and was wondering what possibly new traffic prompted CMQ to buy brand new hoppers. Definitely a sign of better times ahead IIRC they were numbered in the low 300's.
Zeke

Postby gokeefe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Video link?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Zeke » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:18 am

Keefe go to YouTube and type in....." cmq job 277 extra welded rail train chase." One the best videos I have seen.It follows a welded rail train to Millinocket at 17:06 the new CMQ hoppers come into view as a train sets off in Millinocket yard. Numbered 708 and 376 it surprised me they were purchasing new cars. I guess the rail train was not for the CMQ ? It does show the CMQ is at least in a financial position to keep up maintenance and purchase newer equipment.
Zeke

Postby 690 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

The majority of the rail from that video was indeed for the CMQ, they've most used it on the Moosehead Sub. The remaining rail (ten lengths) was for Pan Am, and they dropped it either in the southern half of D1 between Danville and Rigby, or somewhere in the Maine portion of D2 (no one seems to know exactly where it was dropped).

Regarding the covered hoppers, they have thirty-five of them, and they're being used for agricultural products coming out of northern Maine, on the Maine Northern.

Postby Zeke » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 am

Thanks 690.
Zeke

Previous

Return to Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)