CMQ Lumber Business

Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

CMQ Lumber Business

Postby CN9634 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:28 am

I had spoken with some colleagues recently who have noticed several new lumber wraps showing up on the system. The latest is North American Forest Products (NAFTLTD.com), who is situated several miles northeast of Van Buren. Also, another guy is transloading his stuff via Megantic from up in Quebec. Lastly, CMQ has spoken at great lengths about starting lumber transloads, and for those of you who haven't see their website lately, has updated their map with transload locations. I thought it might be something interesting worth mentioning, it seems like they are going after the lumber business rather quickly.

It would also seem, that their partnership with NBM Railways is quite strong.I also wonder what came of LMS, which was for sale this past year.

http://www.cmqrailway.com/home-elements ... s/id=File1
CN9634
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby doublestack » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 am

NAFP lumber load, seventh car back on this CMQ train southbound out of Millinocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC6Z_qre9H0
Video by Maine Train Chaser
Peter
User avatar
doublestack
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Freeport, Maine

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby fogg1703 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:58 pm

CN9634 wrote:It would also seem, that their partnership with NBM Railways is quite strong
I don't think a more positive outcome could have been envisioned when the state took over the Aroostook lines. Well done by the state and by NBM for all their operations in Maine.

BAR was a huge catalyst in lumber transloads at Van Buren, and subsequent owners have taken the ball and ran, but what should be noted is CMQ new lumber business in Quebec. With the demise of the QC Sherbrooke connection a lot of Quebec lumber finds it way south to Megantic or Farnham for transload and translates into loads (including Sartigan Lumber) otherwise traveling south by truckers or north to CN at Charny.
fogg1703
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby CN9634 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:45 pm

They are also in negotiating with CP to buy the Sherbrooke yard and centralize lumber transload operations there.
CN9634
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby fogg1703 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm

CN9634 wrote:They are also in negotiating with CP to buy the Sherbrooke yard and centralize lumber transload operations there.


I had no idea CP still owned the yard.
fogg1703
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby CN9634 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm

fogg1703 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:They are also in negotiating with CP to buy the Sherbrooke yard and centralize lumber transload operations there.


I had no idea CP still owned the yard.


Yes and CMQ cant use it. Brush up on your French or use google translator:

http://www.lapresse.ca/la-tribune/actua ... -le-cp.php
CN9634
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby fogg1703 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:05 pm

Here it is washed through google translate.

Courtesy of La Tribune January 21 2016 Written by Jonathon Custeau

CN9634 wrote:(SHERBROOKE) The Central Maine & Quebec Railway (CMQR) will attempt to negotiate with the company Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) for the use of its land to the city center. This would be the solution envisaged to reduce or eliminate the sorting activities in the Deauville area where citizens are exasperated.

A meeting with stakeholders of the city, among others, was held Thursday at the office of the member Marie-Claude Bibeau.

It was during this meeting that the leaders of the CMQR received a copy of the resolution adopted by the City intimating the railway company and Akzo Nobel to take all means to secure the railway and to cease activities storage and handling of cars on the siding near the road to Venice. The adviser David Price was also present at the meeting, where was the COO of the company, Ryan Ratledge, and a representative of MP.

"We are committed to their return next week with the first feedback approached the CP. We could use the land they do not use the center if they are willing to hire us, "said Daniel Matte, publicist for CMQR.

"The discussions do not guarantee an agreement with CP."

Mr. Matte noted that preliminary discussions had been held with the CP in the past. "They have been reorganized and now we have to talk to the real estate division of the company, as we were talking with the rail division in the past. "

No appeal has been lodged to the CP in this direction, but the CMQR is committed to do it quickly. If agreement occurred, storage and sorting would not stop overnight. "Work should be done on track, because they are not ready to receive trains. We could not do the work before March or April, and as we do not specifically know the terrain, we can not estimate the time it would take to restore everything. "

The discussions do not guarantee an agreement with CP, warns Mr. Matte. "We have to check first if they want to rent or sell the land and the cost must be reasonable. Whatever happens, it is we who will pay for the upgrade rails. "

Daniel Matte is aware that the public has had enough and wants a quick end.

As for the Akzo Nobel company, named in the resolution of the City, she could not contribute more, according to a report from Mr. Matte. "They have room to store 36 cars on their land, but last week, they received 100 cars. They have no room to maneuver. "


So whats the history here? Did MMA have rights to switch in the yard?
fogg1703
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby MEC407 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 am

I like how they used Guilford Gray as the color for the ST lines on their map. Some things never change. :wink:
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10697
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby KSmitty » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 pm

It's still basically the MM&A map. Which was created when it was still Guilford. They've just updated the logo and a few of the finer points.
KSmitty
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Maine

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby MEC407 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Right you are, but the MMA map didn't use company colors for connecting railroads. CMQ uses G&W orange for NECR and SLR, green for VRS, green for NBM, red for CN and CP, and Guilford Gray for ST.

r13d0054-figure-01.jpg

cmq_map_20150129.jpg
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
User avatar
MEC407
 
Posts: 10697
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby KSmitty » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Touche'

It had been a while since I'd seen the MM&A map. I was thinking CM&Q had literally just changed the name/logo.
KSmitty
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Maine

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby CN9634 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:24 pm

fogg1703 wrote:Here it is washed through google translate.

Courtesy of La Tribune January 21 2016 Written by Jonathon Custeau

CN9634 wrote:(SHERBROOKE) The Central Maine & Quebec Railway (CMQR) will attempt to negotiate with the company Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) for the use of its land to the city center. This would be the solution envisaged to reduce or eliminate the sorting activities in the Deauville area where citizens are exasperated.

A meeting with stakeholders of the city, among others, was held Thursday at the office of the member Marie-Claude Bibeau.

It was during this meeting that the leaders of the CMQR received a copy of the resolution adopted by the City intimating the railway company and Akzo Nobel to take all means to secure the railway and to cease activities storage and handling of cars on the siding near the road to Venice. The adviser David Price was also present at the meeting, where was the COO of the company, Ryan Ratledge, and a representative of MP.

"We are committed to their return next week with the first feedback approached the CP. We could use the land they do not use the center if they are willing to hire us, "said Daniel Matte, publicist for CMQR.

"The discussions do not guarantee an agreement with CP."

Mr. Matte noted that preliminary discussions had been held with the CP in the past. "They have been reorganized and now we have to talk to the real estate division of the company, as we were talking with the rail division in the past. "

No appeal has been lodged to the CP in this direction, but the CMQR is committed to do it quickly. If agreement occurred, storage and sorting would not stop overnight. "Work should be done on track, because they are not ready to receive trains. We could not do the work before March or April, and as we do not specifically know the terrain, we can not estimate the time it would take to restore everything. "

The discussions do not guarantee an agreement with CP, warns Mr. Matte. "We have to check first if they want to rent or sell the land and the cost must be reasonable. Whatever happens, it is we who will pay for the upgrade rails. "

Daniel Matte is aware that the public has had enough and wants a quick end.

As for the Akzo Nobel company, named in the resolution of the City, she could not contribute more, according to a report from Mr. Matte. "They have room to store 36 cars on their land, but last week, they received 100 cars. They have no room to maneuver. "


So whats the history here? Did MMA have rights to switch in the yard?



MMA did. Essentially all this CMQ business boils down to is a grudge between EHH and Giles... no joke evidently there is past history. Same reason they interchange at Iberville and not St. Luc
CN9634
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: CMQ Lumber Business

Postby fogg1703 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm

CN9634 wrote:MMA did. Essentially all this CMQ business boils down to is a grudge between EHH and Giles... no joke evidently there is past history. Same reason they interchange at Iberville and not St. Luc

I guess no one should be surprised given EHH business tactics. Thanks for the back story CN.
fogg1703
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:55 pm


Return to Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests