Acela Speeds

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Acela Speeds

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 am

gokeefe wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Seems an odd thing to invest in given the longstanding practice of testing at the existing Pueblo, CO facility. I think Pueblo has a max of 165 mph, which may be part of the reason, but Alstom must be expecting this to be more than the one-off Acela order was, with Hornell being more than Barre, VT #2.

Interesting issue. Looks as if part of the problem is that TTCI is configured as a loop and doesn't have sufficiently long sections of tangent track. Although it would be nice to invest this money in the Empire Corridor a test track really should be isolated in order to minimize damage to existing service in the event of a malfunction that damages the rails or trackbed.

The NS line is not the empire corridor. so them doing it there is a line with no passenger service.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Arlington » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 am

ApproachMedium wrote:The NS line is not the empire corridor. so them doing it there is a line with no passenger service.

Yes, in the great Conrail divvy-up, CSX got the New York Central (Empire Corridor) and NS got the Erie (in/through Hornell). The Erie actually has some nice "valley floor" running, straight and flat near & through Hornell, so it must be one of these that Alstom is looking to upgrade (and presumably electrify)
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby Matt Johnson » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:03 am

Nice telephoto shot of all the new catenary hardware, taken in January 2018. The last time I was at Princeton Junction a couple of months ago, constant tension wires were in place on tracks 1, 3, and 4 with track 2 possibly underway now.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/672750/
Matt Johnson

Postby Amtrak706 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Did Amtrak ever get a response on their petition to increase FRA Tier II speeds to 160 mph for this County to Ham upgrade? The latest thing I can find online is the announcement for the final decision to occur 12/00/2017 (yes, the FRA site says the 0th of December, so possibly the decision happened in the Twilight Zone).

I will say that the timing on their waiver submission was unfortunate, as a major part of their lobbying was relying upon the NEC’s proven safety record and the waiver was submitted in February 2015, right before Amtrak’s series of major wrecks around the country started.
Amtrak706

Postby east point » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:Nice telephoto shot of all the new catenary hardware, taken in January 2018. The last time I was at Princeton Junction a couple of months ago, constant tension wires were in place on tracks 1, 3, and 4 with track 2 possibly underway now.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/672750/

interesting. Wonder why the hardware for the present siding ? Maybe a future main track ?
east point

Postby ApproachMedium » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 am

The hardware on the siding is for the nassau running track for the dinky. when the old poles come down, they need a place to hold the wire up so that was installed.

I dont think the speeds are going to get increased. The outside tracks were supposed to go up to 125mph with the completion of the work, which is now completed on the two outside tracks and here we are diddling along at 110mph if you arent following transit trains.
ApproachMedium

Postby OportRailfan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 am

Matt Johnson wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:Excerpt:

In addition to the three buildings going up in short order, Alstom and its team of engineers will have to build a test track for the trains capable of speeds of 184 miles per hour.

184 is an odd figure that I assume is just a result of an incorrect conversion of 300 kph, which is actually 186.416 mph. :)

To be "OK'ed" for new MAS by the FRA, you need to demonstrate the ability to safely run 10-15% (I forget the exact figure) above what you want your MAS to be.

160mph * 1.15 = 184mph. There's your answer.

They're testing 15% above their target MAS.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
OportRailfan

Postby bostontrainguy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 am

Regardless of saving a minute or two with 160 mph operation, wouldn't it be good for Amtrak to have a piece of high-speed track somewhere to experience the maintenance and necessary operational realities of running such so they can have some real-time experience for running future high-speed rail operation. Wasn't this also supposed to be a test bed?
bostontrainguy

Postby Nasadowsk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Posting from a TGV Duplex heading to Paris, Amtrak’s got a LONG way to go, if they think they can do this...
Nasadowsk

Postby CentralValleyRail » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 am

This 165MPH zone was originally suppose to be completed last year, well be lucky to see it done by 2020...
CentralValleyRail

Postby ApproachMedium » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:51 am

It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.
ApproachMedium

Postby daybeers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.

Wow this makes me so frustrated.
daybeers

Postby Amtrak706 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:It should be done by the end of this year/start of next year but there probably wont be a speed change, and they only completed the constant tension upgrade for about 8 miles vs the 13 or so they were supposed to do. All because catenary poles were not going up fast enough.

Did their waiver for upping Tier II to 160 mph ever get approved or denied?
Amtrak706

Postby ApproachMedium » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 am

I dont work in the waiver dept so I have no idea, and i havent heard anything. I only work in the gas brake honk dept.
ApproachMedium

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:I dont work in the waiver dept so I have no idea, and i havent heard anything. I only work in the gas brake honk dept.

I take it "Talk to the dispatcher" falls under "honk"? :)

That said, correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't Tier I supposed to be 125 MPH and above rated?
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak