Sacramento Station - Track Relocation

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Sacramento Station - Track Relocation

Postby lpetrich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I don't know where this topic properly belongs, so I'm placing it here because it involves an Amtrak station.

Sacramento Intermodal Transportation Facility
Railroad track relocation project kicks off - Sacramento Business Journal
Going from east to west, the tracks currently go:
7th St. underpass - 7th and H Sts. - Sacramento station - I Street Bridge over the Sacramento River

There are sharp curves at the first two spots, and the relocation will straighten the track:
7th St. underpass - nearly straight - I Street Bridge

The station platforms will be relocated to the new tracks; the station will have 4 or 6 tracks. It will be about 700 ft north of the existing station. The existing one has 3 tracks with a 4th one nearby.

Once the tracks are relocated, bus areas and the light-rail station will be moved to the east of the new platforms. The planners of this project had considered moving the station building northward to the tracks, but they've decided against doing so. Will this mean that one will have to run to the station building and back to get tickets?

One can already see two road bridges over the relocated tracks' intended location: the 5th and 6th Street Bridges. These should be done next year: 5th Street bridge construction moves forward with or without arena | news10.net Even if a new arena is not built nearby, the area is supposed to become an infill development, The Sacramento Railyards. The Overview contains a map.

On the subject of light rail, the Sacramento system is being extended northward in 7th St. to Richards Blvd.: Sacramento Regional Transit District - Online Chat with GM, Downtown-Natomas-Airport News, Extension map
lpetrich

Re: Sacramento Station - Track Relocation

Postby lpetrich » Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

LivingInUrbanSac: Railroad Track Relocation
Shows a picture of the construction so far.

The new road bridges are in place, and the station platforms are largely done. There's also a path from the existing station to the new station; it looks half-done.

There are several stacks of concrete ties, which suggests that the track is not done yet. However, it is evident that the new track will have much gentler curves than the existing track.

One can see the existing station on the right of the picture.
lpetrich

Postby lpetrich » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

This happened last month, and I've now discovered it:
Amtrak opens new passenger platforms in Sacramento | Video | news10.net - a video clip about it
Sacramento Valley Station Unveils New Rail Platforms - capradio.org - some pictures
Rail project hits mile marker with passenger platforms, track relocation - Sacramento Business Journal - some details on the tracks

The track relocation is now done, and the new station platforms are now in service.

There are 6 tracks there, 4 passenger tracks and 2 freight tracks, 1 on each side. There are 2 station platforms, each one between a pair of passenger tracks. Passengers get access to them from an underpass, and there's a 500' path from the underpass to the existing Sacramento Amtrak station. That path is still not done yet, so a temporary one is now open. There is still some other construction to be done.

This relocation will improve safety and will make longer trains more convenient, because of its more gentle curves. The earlier station had 3 tracks and a 4th yard track nearby, and its track had 2 rather sharp curves.

Checking on the major online mapping sites, Google, Yahoo, and MapQuest all show the relocation's pre-construction state, and Bing shows partial construction.
lpetrich

Postby David Benton » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Used this twice recently . Its a very long way from the station to the platforms . It seems that , once bus and light rail connections are made closer to the platforms , the station would be largely redundant .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby lpetrich » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I've seen discussion of relocating Sacramento's station building. Picking up the whole building and moving it to some site near the new tracks. But that looks rather difficult.

I've found Sacramento Amtrak Station Platform Relocation - YouTube - it mostly features some comings and goings of some Amtrak Capitol trains, but one can see the cutover partially done in them. One of the two tracks going to the new station platforms, one to the old ones.

I checked those map sites again.

Google: Map View shows the new track locations, while Satellite View shows the construction in early stages when at low zoom, and no construction when at high zoom.
Yahoo, MapQuest: Map View and Satellite View show no construction.
Bing: Map View shows the old track locations, while Aerial (Satellite) View shows construction roughly in its middle stages.

I also checked on Sacramento Regional Transit District Home Page - no plans for relocating the Sac'to LRT station just yet.
lpetrich

Postby lpetrich » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 am

I checked on Dept. of Transportation > Director's Office & Business Services > Sacramento Intermodal Transportation Facility again, and I found a lot of details on plans for the station.

City of Sacramento | Path to Progress is the first phase, the track relocation. That page shows some time-lapse video of the construction of that relocation. You can see in it the former railroad-yard buildings and the big vacant lots that surround them. That's all to be redeveloped.

Publications contains documents "Move the Depot Pages 26-50.pdf" and "Don't Move the Depot Pages 51-76.pdf", about these alternatives. Both of them agree on constructing a jag in the Sacramento Light Rail line to the new station, though Planning & Construction - Sacramento Regional Transit makes no mention of any such plan.

Phase 2 – Sacramento Valley Station Improvements | Sacramento Valley Station describes a lot of planned renovations, though it does not mention moving the station building. Work on the renovations is supposed to start this summer. Also this summer may be work on building 5th and 6th Sts. across the streetless road bridges that are now present.

The Big Picture shows current near-term plans. Building 5th and 6th Sts. and removing the previous tracks, but the station building and the light-rail line will stay put. Longer-term plans are in the Publications page, and include building bus bays around the walkway and that light-rail jag.
lpetrich

Postby lpetrich » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 am

I checked on what has happened to that station since I last posted here. Looking at Terraserver, Bing Maps, and Google Maps, not much has changed.

But a few things. Sacramento railyard roads to open this month - Sacramento Business Journal On August 19, 5th Ave. and 6th Ave. will open. They cross the tracks just east of the new Sacramento station. So those streetless bridges are streetless no more.

Sacramento Union Pacific Railyard to be redeveloped - Archpaper.com
Sacramento’s Union Pacific Railyards to be redeveloped into mixed-use entertainment district

The City of Sacramento is moving along with the redevelopment of what was once the largest rail yard west of the Mississippi River. At 244-acres, the proposed mixed-used, adaptive-reuse project is just north of the city’s downtown.

The redevelopment plans now include a soccer stadium. Being near the Amtrak station may mean more visitors from the Bay Area.

Release - Sacramento Valley Station welcomes its new Amtrak ticket room! - City of Sacramento -- as part of the renovations of Sacramento's Amtrak station. However, it's still at its old location, and one still needs to do a long walk to get to and from the trains.

105-Year-Old I Street Bridge Will Eventually Be Closed To Vehicles « CBS Sacramento when a replacement bridge is built nearly a mile to the north of it. But Union Pacific and Amtrak will still use it.
lpetrich

Postby Station Aficionado » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Query: how many redevelopment plans does this now make for the railyards?
Station Aficionado

Postby lpetrich » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 am

I checked on some mapping sites, and the most construction is to build some streets, including two north-south ones that use the road bridges over the relocated tracks. There is also no evidence of a possible new station near the relocated tracks, or a possible relocation of the light-rail line there. I say "possible" because both projects look both convenient and feasible, even if they aren't on the official to-do lists that I've found.

Redefining the Core: Major projects in the Railyards/Richards Blvd. district - Sacramento Business Journal This one is paywalled, and its picture showed no new construction there.

On the rebuilding of the station building:
Sacramento overhauling vintage train station | The Sacramento Bee (2015) with a picture of part of it covered by shrink wrap
Sacramento's renovated train depot will host public tours | The Sacramento Bee (2017) in its reopening ceremony
City of Sacramento taps tech innovation fund to renovate historic train station | The Sacramento Bee (2017) to rent out some of its former office space
New And Improved Amtrak Station Opens In Sacramento - capradio.org (2017)
lpetrich

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:27 am

Extending north from Stockton would require a backup move onto the BNSF, wouldn't it?
Rockingham Racer

Postby lpetrich » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 am

Rockingham Racer wrote:Extending north from Stockton would require a backup move onto the BNSF, wouldn't it?

I'd have to check on the details of the trackage there.
lpetrich

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 pm

lpetrich wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:Extending north from Stockton would require a backup move onto the BNSF, wouldn't it?

I'd have to check on the details of the trackage there.

On second thought, there are already Amtrak trains using the UPRR to get up to Sacramento.
Rockingham Racer

Return to Amtrak