Quik trak machines

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Quik trak machines

Postby 7express » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Are you allowed to pick up your ticket at any station with a quik-trak machine or does it have to be the specific station you're leaving from??

I live about 5 minutes from the Bridgeport train station (has a quik trak machine), but I booked a trip for Sunday from Route 128 to NYP and back. As long as I have the reservation number, can I go to Bridgeport and pick up the tickets there, or do I have to wait to do it at Route 128??
7express

Re: Quik trak machines

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:33 pm

You should be able to pick them up at any station if you have the reservation number.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby bobinyec » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm not sure, but I don't think a reservation number is sufficient to pick up a ticket from a QuickTrak machine. From what I've seen, it's going to want the credit card that the reservations were booked through, or else it'll want to scan the barcode that was furnished. Somebody please clarify.

Thanks,
John Bobinyec
bobinyec

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm

I have used the QuikTrak machines at Philadelphia 30th St. numerous times to pick up tickets for Surfliner and Capitol Corridor trips with no problems. I believe an earlier poster is correct that you have to have the credit card under which you made the reservation; however, I have never needed the reservation number. Apparently as soon as the system detects the credit card number it will display any reservation made under that card and not yet picked up. A screen will ask you whether that's what you want to pick up, and if you touch yes it prints the tickets and tells you how many tickets to wait for. Whoever designed the system thought of most things.
ExCon90

Postby gprimr1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Any machine is fine. You need a credit card or the bar code from the ticket receipt to activate the machine; even if your just picking up a reservation.

Seems kinna stupid that you can't just type the reservation number it.

I often have to get tickets from Baltimore Penn since the Quick Trak at BWI isn't open at 3:30am.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby 7express » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 pm

bobinyec wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't think a reservation number is sufficient to pick up a ticket from a QuickTrak machine. From what I've seen, it's going to want the credit card that the reservations were booked through, or else it'll want to scan the barcode that was furnished. Somebody please clarify.

Thanks,
John Bobinyec

Nah, what I normally do is print out that page they give you at the end once you booked, and on it it gives you the reservation number and a barcode, and I scan the barcode underneath the machine. No card needed. Of course since I don't have a working printer at my house, it's a lot easier said than done however :(
7express

Postby JimBoylan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm

I think that you just need any credit card to turn the machine on. I last verified this before the bar codes could be read, but you could get a choice to type in a reservation number, if the desired itinerary wasn't displayed due to not using the original credit card that paid for the reservation.
Amtrak does allow unpaid reservations to be made over the phone with Julie or an agent, and paid later at a Quicktrak machine. Now, you have to type in the reservation number!
JimBoylan

Postby jcepler1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 am

While you can pick up any existing reservation from a quik trak machine, you cannot go to a machine and create a new reservation where one of the endpoints is not where you are standing.
jcepler1

Postby gokeefe » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Some significant news ...

It appears at this time that Amtrak will be retaining their Quik Trak machines which had been scheduled at one time for a complete phase out. For some communities, especially those on state supported routes off the Northeast Corridor with unstaffed stations these machines are an essential part of the service. My own observation is that this decision (which came from senior management) appears to be an early benefit of Anderson's tenure as CEO. His experience as an airline executive seems likely to have had a positive influence on the drive to keep the machines.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:36 pm

From Hampton Inn Elizabethtown KY

Mr. O'Keefe, there is also the benefit to Amtrak in that less cash fares need be cut on board, meaning less time on that tedious chore, and much less cash splashing around.

Lest we forget, the first duty of the Conductor is the safe and efficient operation of the train in accordance with the Book of Rules. Those Rules do include protecting the Revenue, but the train comes first.

I await the day when Amtrak becomes "cashless".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. O'Keefe, there is also the benefit to Amtrak in that less cash fares need be cut on board, meaning less time on that tedious chore, and much less cash splashing around.

That is a very serious problem indeed and I can say from direct observation that failures on a Quik-Trak machine at unstaffed stations will in fact produce some significant volumes of cash fares (half a dozen or more per stop). One advantage of e-ticketing is that as long as a person has their photo ID the conductors can typically look it up on their scanners and make the "lift" that way. This helps reduce the ultimate burden and a range of issues but on a service with the traffic levels that the Downeaster sees Quik-Trak machines are an essential part of the operation.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby ryanov » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:05 pm

What I believe you also can't do, which is unfortunate, is claim you'll pick up the tickets from a QuikTrak machine if you're leaving from a station that hasn't got one. I believe I had this problem when booking a round trip and attempting to use an NARP fare too close to departure. I had to book as two separate segments, since the first segment was too soon to get the discount and the second wasn't, however the station (Mystic, IIRC) had no QuikTrak machine so it wouldn't let me do that, even though I always planned to pick up the ticket in Newark. All moot with the mobile ticketing, but that was a hassle previously.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby Tadman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:49 pm

What's even better than the mobile ticketing is the mobile conductor app. I board some times in the middle of nowhere with hands full of luggage. They ask my name, and that's it. The conductor has a list of boarding passengers, and provided there aren't two Smiths or Johnsons or other similar names, you're off and rolling.

Not only has it made things more efficient, it's made the passenger experience much better.
Tadman

Return to Amtrak