Horizon Coach Refurbishment

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Horizon Coach Refurbishment

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for your insight on the Horizons, AM. Who supplied the door hardware for the NJT Comets you worked on - Bombardier or some off-the-shelf outside supplier? Is it air or electric?
mtuandrew

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 pm

Door controls i think are all Faivley to match what is in the Comet IV cars. The work was done originally by some outfit which got bought out by Alstom halfway thru the rebuild process. I dont know who made the leaf itself, possibly a local steel fabricator in upstate NY. The cars were done in Hornell NY. All of the door stuff is electric on NJT, always has been. They do not use any of that air nonsense like the MBTA does. Amtrak is fully capable of doing this kind of work in house. The door pockets are still there from the original pocket doors, just welded over. Things like the door leafs and the long door extension boxes probably would come from an outside parts supplier/fab shop and they could utilize any number of electronic door operators that are available on the market today.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 am

ApproachMedium wrote:The work was done originally by some outfit which got bought out by Alstom halfway thru the rebuild process. The cars were done in Hornell NY.
AAI Corp., Hunt Valley, MD did the initial cars between 1999-2001, then Alstom took over in 2002-2003.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Previous

Return to Amtrak