Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Newport News NE Regional Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Newport News NE Regional Service

Postby Arlington » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:15 am

I think the walk score, transit, and I-95 access are clinchers (for new site), regardless of race.

Did Ettrick have a TOD plan?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby The EGE » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, yes, let's move the station away from a major university to a place between two strip malls. That's gonna work out great.
The EGE

Postby Arlington » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:23 pm

The EGE wrote:Yes, yes, let's move the station away from a major university to a place between two strip malls. That's gonna work out great.

In Lynchburg, it is 5 miles from Liberty University to the Amtrak Station, and that's worked OK, hasn't it?
In Petersburg, it is 2.5 miles from Virginia State U to the 2600 Boulevard site.

It is impossible to imagine a new site closer to VSU than the current site, so any sincere effort to situate a new station is going to consider things farther from VSU.
The station in PTB has been basically across the street from VSU and we have not seen it develop as a transit hub or get TOD.
Last edited by Arlington on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby electricron » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 pm

The proposed new site is easier to access by everybody, towns to the north, east, south, and west. There's 4 lanes or more highways in every direction. The existing site is access by two lane streets from every direction. The only thing great about the existing station is that it is within walking distance from the university. Two and a half miles away from the university is the distance to the new proposed station location, maybe too far to walk but definitely not too far to ride a bike or bus.
electricron

Postby ThirdRail7 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:32 am

Keep an eye on the website for service changes next week. A major track project will occur in support of the Acca Bypass. Trains can expect delays operating through the Richmond Terminal district.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby Arlington » Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks! 2 daughters and I will be riding train 94 from NPN to BOS/BBY on June 5th and vaguely recall at time of booking (May 15) that 66 (northbound NEC overnight) was being cancelled, which I assumed at the time was a Penn Station thing.
Arlington

Postby Arlington » Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 am

Meanwhile, Megabus will be adding service on the southern side of Metro Norfolk (currently only in Hampton, but coming to Virginia Beach and Norfolk.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... nia-beach/
Arlington

Postby Arlington » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am

ThirdRail7 wrote:Keep an eye on the website for service changes next week. A major track project will occur in support of the Acca Bypass. Trains can expect delays operating through the Richmond Terminal district.

Lots of clearing and grading activity between RVM and RVR, is that it?

RVM's redone train shed looks spectacular (and spectacularly empty). It'd have been cool if they had added 2 or 3 tracks to the viaduct and had them dead end at RVM for NEC Services.

Also of.note: CSX has dropped ties along much of the stretch between NPN and WBG and had a decent sized MOW crew at NPN that looked ready to work it's way up the Peninsula. (And saw more MOW southbound at Fredericksburg)

And good to see the 3rd track at(with concrete ties, no less) going in on both sides of Quantico
Arlington

Postby ThirdRail7 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Arlington wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:Keep an eye on the website for service changes next week. A major track project will occur in support of the Acca Bypass. Trains can expect delays operating through the Richmond Terminal district.

Lots of clearing and grading activity between RVM and RVR, is that it?

That would be it. They are also installing new switches and adding some additional rail. Twropr should be able to fill in the specific details.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby twropr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:25 am

TK 4 is being extended from Hilliard Rd to North Acca and this includes concrete ties. As a result of the work trains that overnight at Richmond's Staples Mill Rd station could not be vaccinated. One trainset, limited to 7 cars, was stored at CSX's Bryan Park (system m/w repair facility) and other trains cut back to Washington
Andy
twropr

Postby east point » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Does the Palmetto traverse any of this track work ? Do not understand why it was cancelled ?
east point

Postby Arlington » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Everything south of Washington except for the Cardinal, Crescent and the Lynchburger passes through the affected area.

Hilliard Road is immediately South of Staples Mill Road station (RVR,). From the description the work will extend south from Hilliard Road to Acca Yard. So Everything south of RVR uses the 3 miles that are affected, with Neport News /RVM/WBG/NPN service diverging from everything else only south of Acca.
Arlington

Postby Literalman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:27 pm

I rode the Norfolk train for the first time on June 23. I'd been wondering whether the station ridership numbers for Norfolk include bus passengers to and from Newport News. If so, I thought the bus riders might account for the bulk of the Norfolk riders, given the train's evening arrival and early morning departure. However, when we arrived at Norfolk Friday evening there seemed to be about a hundred people getting off the train. That would more than equal two busloads of passengers arriving from Newport News. Friday evening is probably one of the busier arrivals, but I left on Sunday afternoon, another busy time, via Newport News, and the connecting bus out of Norfolk wasn't full. I realize that this is anecdotal and just one trip, but the train didn't arrive in Norfolk almost empty, as I thought it might.
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
www.stevedunham.50megs.com
Literalman

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Was thinking today while reading the Auto Train thread about the DC-Maryland-Virginia market and realized that despite being a huge market itself, Arlington County has no Amtrak stop.* Has there ever been a movement to have Amtrak stop between ALX and WAS?

* It does have a VRE station at Crystal City, which would also make a lot of sense as a Regional stop with how business travelers shuttle between New York and the Pentagon area.
mtuandrew

Postby Bob Roberts » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:48 pm

mtuandrew wrote:* It does have a VRE station at Crystal City, which would also make a lot of sense as a Regional stop with how business travelers shuttle between New York and the Pentagon area.

I agree that a Crystal City station could be handy, but the unfortunate requirement of an engine swap at Union station means that it will nearly always be faster to take the Metro to/from Union Station than a one seat ride would be. Having said that, I would much rather board a northbound train in Crystal City than go through the ridiculous boarding process at Union Station.
Bob Roberts

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak