Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Newport News NE Regional Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Newport News NE Regional Service

Postby Arlington » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 pm

DC2RVA planning advances with official endorsement of high(er) speed service terminating at Main St, Richmond.
http://richmondmagazine.com/news/news/rail-plan/
http://wtop.com/sprawl-crawl/2016/12/ne ... -richmond/

Costing $5 billion in 2025 dollars, the federal government has already granted funding for some of the projects.

In Northern Virginia, an additional third or fourth track would cost just under $2 billion.
In Arlington, the connection to the future Long Bridge replacement is projected to cost $36 to $47 million.
In Fredericksburg, the third track through the city would cost about $493 million.
In Richmond, the changes and improvements could cost about $1.4 billion.
A third track through central Virginia would cost about $643 million.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby BAR » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 am

Five billion in 2025 dollars? How is the value of a U.S. dollar nine years in the future determined?
BAR

Postby bdawe » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am

Inflation is targeted for 2% per year by the Federal Reserve
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby Hawaiitiki » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Arlington wrote:DC2RVA planning advances with official endorsement of high(er) speed service terminating at Main St, Richmond.
http://richmondmagazine.com/news/news/rail-plan/
http://wtop.com/sprawl-crawl/2016/12/ne ... -richmond/

Costing $5 billion in 2025 dollars, the federal government has already granted funding for some of the projects.

In Northern Virginia, an additional third or fourth track would cost just under $2 billion.
In Arlington, the connection to the future Long Bridge replacement is projected to cost $36 to $47 million.
In Fredericksburg, the third track through the city would cost about $493 million.
In Richmond, the changes and improvements could cost about $1.4 billion.
A third track through central Virginia would cost about $643 million.

Can't come soon enough. The corridor between Richmond and DC is one of the most horrendous auto routes to drive in the country that really doesn't have a viable rail option e.g. slow speeds, poor frequency, poor station locations, 1 hour layovers in DC....that plague this route. My brother lived in Richmond for two years and attended William and Mary four years before it, and I would often pay out the arse for a flight to visit just to avoid that stretch of highway. 24 hours a day Northern Virginia traffic is the worst I've ever experienced.
Double Track, Grade Separate, and Electrify America!
Hawaiitiki

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 pm

Hawaiitiki wrote:
Can't come soon enough. The corridor between Richmond and DC is one of the most horrendous auto routes to drive in the country that really doesn't have a viable rail option e.g. slow speeds, poor frequency, poor station locations, 1 hour layovers in DC....that plague this route. My brother lived in Richmond for two years and attended William and Mary four years before it, and I would often pay out the arse for a flight to visit just to avoid that stretch of highway. 24 hours a day Northern Virginia traffic is the worst I've ever experienced.

I got rear ended in heavy traffic on I-95 driving from Williamsburg to NJ last year so yeah, I'm with you there!
Matt Johnson

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 pm

No mater what is done to "improve" I-95 thru that streach from DC to south of Richmond,only makes it worse,not better.
That streach is just a car magnet,period!
Now If VRE were allowed to run commuter service Richmond-DC ,that could help over the long term.
Backshophoss

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:21 am

Hoss: it sure would! VRE is already over halfway to Richmond from DC. Maybe Richmond-area voters can get their transit authority some more money to extend the service a little more.
mtuandrew

Postby electricron » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:37 am

100% more isn't just a little tiny bit more. It's a whole lot more more.
The citizens of Richmond would be far better served with a local transit project, not one joining the VRE connecting commuters within Richmond to D.C.
Golly, does anyone commute that far anyways?
It's around 123 miles, that's 25% longer than the distance between NYC and Philadelphia, which is about 95 miles.

I'm not suggesting more trains between Richmond and D.C. aren't needed, or that I-95 isn't congested most of the time, just that locally funded commuter rail for this long a corridor isn't the ideal solution.
electricron

Postby Arlington » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:26 am

At some point we will see DC-Richmond "infill' service to accommodate a mix of Richmond-bound daily commuters, DC-bound super-commuters, and the kind that mostly work at home but make an in-person trip once or twice a week. End-to-end trips would be a small part of demand, but all the half and 3/4 trips will add up to good demand.

Same will happen DC-Charlottesville and maybe on the same planning horizon: Charlottesville is smaller but traffic on US-29 is worse.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Arlington: come to think of it, that is exactly what Amtrak is here to do. Kind of embarrassed I dismissed them in favor of what I've called "glorified schoolbuses", haha. (But if I can get to Richmond without having the high price or relatively low frequency of current extended Amtrak Regionals, sign me up for school!)
mtuandrew

Postby Arlington » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:32 pm

I really wish Virginia would invest more at Alexandria (Amtrak-Metro underpass pedestrian tunnel), and/or a National Airport - Crystal City Metro-VRE superstation, either of which would be strong terminals for purely-within-Virginia trips that need not go across the Long Bridge.
Arlington

Postby gokeefe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:48 pm

I wonder about what the "in-fill" service would look like. Almost seems to point towards putting a trainset (or two) in a "shuttle" service configuration. Fascinating to even consider how many trains per day that would mean for Richmond-Washington.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby electricron » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Maybe Virginia should look at copying North Carolina, having a within the state service like D.C. to Norfolk and/or Newport News via Richmond and D.C. to Roanoke. They could use the soon to be available Horizon equipment from the Midwest. Of course finding more track slots on privately owned freight tracks will be a problem, but triple and double tracking more of the corridors should appease the freight railroads.

That was not a problem in North Carolina because the state owns 99% the corridor the Piedmont trains use.
electricron

Postby Arlington » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Feds propose moving [Petersburg] Amtrak station out of Ettrick [to Colonial Heights] (article has good pictures, too)

Site is: https://goo.gl/maps/7NLcThrPnx32
2600 Boulevard
Colonial Heights VA
(just north of Petersburg proper)

Article says
The Boulevard location – the former S.E. Nichols store site on the west side of the Boulevard just south of the railroad underpass and across from Newcastle Drive – “is the most accessible and visible under consideration, as it is located approximately one mile (1.1 miles) from I-95 on a major arterial [highway] that provides convenient access to population centers in the region,” according to the report

Requoting the FRA's additional reasoning:
• “The site is less than a three minute travel time to I-95. Access to interstates is a key consideration for Amtrak and inter-regional train service patronage, including potential feeder bus service, such as Amtrak’s Thruway connection service.”

• “The Boulevard site is close to the existing population/activity centers, including Fort Lee, [Virginia State University], downtown Petersburg and downtown Colonial Heights.”

• “Existing transit routes provide access to the site along [the] Boulevard (U.S. 1).”

• “The station could utilize existing parking that is directly accessible from [the] Boulevard ... requiring no new access routes or improvement to routes that provide access to the station.”

• “The Boulevard Build Alternative is the station site with the highest WalkScore, a widely used measure of walkability in the station area that looks at the presence of sidewalks, land use and the overall pedestrian environment and measures how amenable it is to walking. The site is located within a ‘somewhat walkable’ environment – the only station site to receive that category of rating.”

• “The Boulevard Build Alternative has been endorsed by the locality, the city of Colonial Heights.

• “No environmental constraints exist that would preclude implementation of the station in this location.”
Arlington

Postby Woody » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Arlington wrote:Feds propose moving [Petersburg] Amtrak station out of Ettrick [to Colonial Heights] (article has good pictures, too)

... the FRA's reasoning:
• “The site is less than a three minute travel time to I-95. Access to interstates is a key consideration for Amtrak ...

• “The Boulevard site is close to the existing population/activity centers, including Fort Lee, [Virginia State University], downtown Petersburg and downtown Colonial Heights.”

But VSU officials seem to think the proposed location is not as convenient for their students, faculty, staff, or visitors.
Virginia State University officials have been strongly supporting keeping the local railroad station in Ettrick. Both the county and the university see it as a key resource in ongoing plans to expand the college and revitalize the community. Previous consultant reports have stressed the likely positive economic impact a new station will have on the surrounding community.

VSU, Virginia State University, is an HBCU, a Historically Black College University.

It will be considered provocative of me to note that Virginia State University and the current station are in the community of Ettrick, which is 75% black. Ettrick adjoins Petersburg, a city 79% African American. Colonial Heights, nearby, is a lighter shade of pale, 89% white.

Such as it ever was?
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak