Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

Postby electricron » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 pm

hs3730 wrote:During breakfast and dinner the sleeper attendants are busy converting the rooms.
That's the best time for the attendants to convert the rooms, when the passengers are not in it dining in the diner. Otherwise, the passengers lull around in the aisle in everybody's way waiting on the attendant to do it- or heaven forbid, while the attendant is converting another room impatient passengers converting their own room.
electricron

Postby David Benton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 am

So people have their seats converted to beds as early as 5.30 p.m? Is that really the best time , or what is most convenient for the Attendant?
2 people per room, how does that crowd the corridor?
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby electricron » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:03 am

David Benton wrote:So people have their seats converted to beds as early as 5.30 p.m? Is that really the best time , or what is most convenient for the Attendant?
2 people per room, how does that crowd the corridor?

5:30 pm may be early for converting the room, but 7:30 or 8;30 pm is not.
Breakfast is another matter altogether, just about everyone heads for breakfast soon after awakening. Luckily, not everyone is an early or late riser.
Maybe Kiwis need two passengers in the aisle to block it, but in America there are many heavier passengers when only one is needed to block it.
electricron

Postby David Benton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:38 am

Unfortunately , we are not far behind you.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... ity-stakes
( made worse by our "indigenous " populations been gentically susectible to Diabetes,47% of Māori adults were obese. 65% of Pacific adults were obese).
Aside from the corridor issue, (which could be solved by enticing them to the lounge for a free beverage/snack), At least at Lunch and dinner, it seems to be reasonable to ask the Sleeper attendant to help with serving food to those eating in their rooms at least .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Arlington » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 am

What if *shudder* patrons converted their own room and served themselves food on a schedule of their own choosing?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby electricron » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 am

Arlington wrote:What if *shudder* patrons converted their own room and served themselves food on a schedule of their own choosing?

Well, they probably will not "tip" the car attendant anything at all. No service, no tip!
electricron

Postby Railjunkie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

I have turned down my own beds when traveling. Car attendants have way more needy folks then my wife and kids. Yes I still tip.
Railjunkie

Postby Matt Johnson » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 am

When I took the Lake Shore up to Albany to try out the new diner, I tipped the attendant a couple of bucks for my Stella and beef short rib box, but I think I may have been the only one to do so of the few sleeper passengers in the diner. As you can see, traffic was light, but then I went in as soon as it opened heading out of New York.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLPEGJh_lb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqMIiz8BcO6/
Matt Johnson

Postby bostontrainguy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:When I took the Lake Shore up to Albany to try out the new diner, I tipped the attendant a couple of bucks for my Stella and beef short rib box, but I think I may have been the only one to do so of the few sleeper passengers in the diner. As you can see, traffic was light, but then I went in as soon as it opened heading out of New York.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLPEGJh_lb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqMIiz8BcO6/

Whatever happened to the hot breakfast item they promised?
bostontrainguy

Postby ryanov » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:45 am

Sleeping car attendants already do participate in serving food to passengers that eat in their rooms.

I suspect anyone who has taken a trip in sleeper and spent any time in the car outside of their rooms, except late at night, has had the experience of being in someone's way almost immediately. It's all tight quarters on there. You can get out of the way if there are empty rooms.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:Recent news posting: Various Amtrak sources have told Railway Age that the brand-new CAF USA-built Viewliner II dining cars are having their expensive cooking equipment removed and undergoing conversion into lounge cars.
Could the kitchen equipment be reinstalled at a later date? The diner lite lounge might make sense, since a Viewliner has a larger food service area than an Amfleet II, a smaller grill (similar to those used in short-order food service or a small flat grill) could be added, allowing certain items made to order.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:20 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Could the kitchen equipment be reinstalled at a later date? The diner lite lounge might make sense, since a Viewliner has a larger food service area than an Amfleet II, a smaller grill (similar to those used in short-order food service or a small flat grill) could be added, allowing certain items made to order.

In theory, Amtrak could install anything it wants - they’re meant to be modular anyway. If you’re wondering if they were planning to just store the kitchen equipment somewhere, I hope not! If they need a full kitchen again, better to have new appliances than ones the mice got into.

And I entirely agree with leaving diner-lite capability in place.
mtuandrew

Previous

Return to Amtrak