Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby cpd5075 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:45 am

There has been a power failure affecting the entire NEC from NYC-WAS, in progress since 9:15am. I'm at 30th street, where things are predictably disorganized...many people have left at this point. Power has just been restored on the line but major delays can be expected for at least the next few hrs as trains resume normal schedules. Does anyone have more info on this, no one here seems to know the cause of the outage.
cpd5075
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:27 am


Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby gp40marc69 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm

I was on train 131 this morning. We had left Baltimore at 9:30 and made it as far as the B&P Tunnel when we lost power. Luckily, there was a MARC rescue engine at the station that pulled us back into Baltimore. 2250 had just made it to Baltimore when power was lost. By 12pm, we had left for DC and arrived a little after 1pm. We passed by a disabled Acela and train 164 that made it as far as New Carrollton. I also heard PHL-HBG was affected by the outage.
KCon
User avatar
gp40marc69
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:50 pm

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby chuchubob » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

I had a ticket on Acela 2207 scheduled to depart 30th Street at 11:12 AM. Regional train 153 (9:30 departure) was in the station and passengers from 153, 155 (10:27), Acela 2203 (9:12), and 2207 were told we could board around 11:30, when it was announced that power had been restored. (The first train out, Keystone Service 650, had departed for New York at 11:16; 2203 had no power when power was restored, and was annulled). Many passengers had already bailed, so the train could hold most of these passengers. After we had boarded, it was announced that the power between PHL and WAS was out again. It was announced that Amtrak was considering pulling 153 to WAS with a diesel, as 171 was at Race Street Engine Facility facing south.
I realized that if I got to Wilmington, I wouldn't be able get back home to take my wife out to dinner for her birthday, so I bailed at 12:20.
Train 153 had two AEM7's, 915 and 933, so seeing that with a P42DC in front would have been awesome.
By the time I turned in my tickets (very long line at the ticket counter), I went home, learning later that train 153 departed 3:40 late.
chuchubob
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby gp40marc69 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:35 pm

chuchubob wrote:I had a ticket on Acela 2207 scheduled to depart 30th Street at 11:12 AM. Regional train 153 (9:30 departure) was in the station and passengers from 153, 155 (10:27), Acela 2203 (9:12), and 2207 were told we could board around 11:30, when it was announced that power had been restored. (The first train out, Keystone Service 650, had departed for New York at 11:16; 2203 had no power when power was restored, and was annulled). Many passengers had already bailed, so the train could hold most of these passengers. After we had boarded, it was announced that the power between PHL and WAS was out again. It was announced that Amtrak was considering pulling 153 to WAS with a diesel, as 171 was at Race Street Engine Facility facing south.
I realized that if I got to Wilmington, I wouldn't be able get back home to take my wife out to dinner for her birthday, so I bailed at 12:20.
Train 153 had two AEM7's, 915 and 933, so seeing that with a P42DC in front would have been awesome.
By the time I turned in my tickets (very long line at the ticket counter), I went home, learning later that train 153 departed 3:40 late.

Ironically, I did see 153 pull up next to us in DC with diesel 174 when I was on 168. We left an hour late at 4:26.
KCon
User avatar
gp40marc69
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:50 pm

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby NJCoastExp » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:06 pm

I was on 155 on way to WIL. I was originally scheduled on 143. We left PHL ahead of 153 Made to WIL after 1:30. Wound up going back home on 82 (first train with available seats at WIL) instead of 194.
CP Rare is 3 blocks away
http://www.youtube.com/NJCoastExp
NJCoastExp
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 pm
Location: South Amboy, NJ

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby Matt Johnson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 pm

chuchubob wrote: Acela 2203


Wonder what caused them to replace that piece on the nose...wonder if it was some sort of impact damage.
User avatar
Matt Johnson
 
Posts: 4091
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby nomis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:
chuchubob wrote: Acela 2203


Wonder what caused them to replace that piece on the nose...wonder if it was some sort of impact damage.

1/29 ok & 3/15 replaced ...
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
User avatar
nomis
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: MRS 43 (was QA 9 & QB 2)

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby hi55us » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:
chuchubob wrote: Acela 2203


Wonder what caused them to replace that piece on the nose...wonder if it was some sort of impact damage.

was 2003-2004 the trainset that had the derailment?
User avatar
hi55us
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Manhattan

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby mrsam » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Apparently, Amtrak president Joe Boardman got stuck on one of the Acelas. Hillarity ensued:

It quickly became apparent that the CEO’s presence wouldn’t fix the train. A subsequent tweet from Falcone noted, “BAD sign: Amtrak CEO Joe Boardman just got OFF the train to take a car to Wilmington.”


http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/19/amtrak-ceo-ditches-broken-train-to-travel-by-car-to-ribbon-cutting-of-wilmingtons-joe-biden-station/
mrsam
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby hi55us » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:38 pm

mrsam wrote:Apparently, Amtrak president Joe Boardman got stuck on one of the Acelas. Hillarity ensued:

It quickly became apparent that the CEO’s presence wouldn’t fix the train. A subsequent tweet from Falcone noted, “BAD sign: Amtrak CEO Joe Boardman just got OFF the train to take a car to Wilmington.”


http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/19/amtrak-ceo-ditches-broken-train-to-travel-by-car-to-ribbon-cutting-of-wilmingtons-joe-biden-station/

worst PR decision ever...
User avatar
hi55us
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm
Location: Manhattan

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby Greg Moore » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 pm

hi55us wrote:
mrsam wrote:Apparently, Amtrak president Joe Boardman got stuck on one of the Acelas. Hillarity ensued:

It quickly became apparent that the CEO’s presence wouldn’t fix the train. A subsequent tweet from Falcone noted, “BAD sign: Amtrak CEO Joe Boardman just got OFF the train to take a car to Wilmington.”


http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/19/amtrak-ceo-ditches-broken-train-to-travel-by-car-to-ribbon-cutting-of-wilmingtons-joe-biden-station/

worst PR decision ever...


Right, because failing to show up at the ribbon cutting at Wilmington's named after the VP (how is one of your biggest allies right now) would be such a win.

Seriously, it's ironic, doesn't look great, but is hardly the worst PR decision ever.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:15 am
Location: IT Consultant

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby wevdap » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:11 am

gp40marc69 wrote:I was on train 131 this morning. We had left Baltimore at 9:30 and made it as far as the B&P Tunnel when we lost power. Luckily, there was a MARC rescue engine at the station that pulled us back into Baltimore. 2250 had just made it to Baltimore when power was lost. By 12pm, we had left for DC and arrived a little after 1pm. We passed by a disabled Acela and train 164 that made it as far as New Carrollton. I also heard PHL-HBG was affected by the outage.


I took 2250 from PHL-RTE, boarding its scheduled 1037 departure at about 1345. After queuing in the lobby, I was surprised to wait several minutes at platform level before the train pulled in (though wasn't familiar with 30th Street boarding procedure, so maybe that's usual), without a huge crowd on the platform, and to find plenty of seats at least in the car I selected. Perhaps many passengers had detrained in Baltimore and/or had taken the northbound Regional that was called a few minutes earlier to terminate in NYP. 2205 subsequently departed NYP about 1525, possibly as the first departure to BOS after the outage, consolidating passengers from other trains and making all NEC local stops except Mystic and Westerly. We arrived RTE about 1905.
wevdap
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby Cadet57 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 am

What a mess. Will travel be back to normal by tomorrow? I'm taking 93 BOS-WAS.
User avatar
Cadet57
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:08 pm
Location: Chicopee, Ma

Re: Power outage affecting NYC-WAS

Postby chuchubob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:05 am

Cadet57 wrote:What a mess. Will travel be back to normal by tomorrow? I'm taking 93 BOS-WAS.

Travel is back to normal.
chuchubob
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: South Jersey

Next

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AdvancedApproach1991, east point, Gilbert B Norman, Hamhock, Tadman and 25 guests