Lake Shore Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Postby Tadman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 am

It sounds like this recent cold snap has really messed up Amtrak and the airlines. Glad I've been mostly down south for the duration.
Tadman

Postby farecard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Tadman wrote:It sounds like this recent cold snap has really messed up Amtrak and the airlines. Glad I've been mostly down south for the duration.

...staying warm in NC, right???????
farecard

Postby Tadman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm

NOLA. The streetcars are running a block away from me quite nicely. No wire problems here.
Tadman

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 pm

HammerJack wrote:Here's something interesting.
I'm on 49 this morning, and while boarding, I noticed that an Amfleet I made it's way into the consist. I understand that coachclass between the two Amfleets is similar, but there are some differences. Especially on a long-distance train like the LSL, the reduced legroom in the Amfleet I appears to me to be a class below the Amfleet II. Especially when everyone paid the same ticket fare for coachclass, but some may have gotten the smaller legroom. Luckily, I'm in a II. But how often does this happen, and is it justifiable? Seems to me like it's unfair to do this. I've heard some say that Amfleet II coachclass is comparable to Amfleet I business class, which furthers my point.

HJ: I want to mention that there more then likely other unmentioned reasons why #49 had a
Amfleet One coach in the mentioned consist. It could be one being moved out to the Midwest
or to be sent to Beech Grove perhaps for some major work - or being this time of the year it
replaced a Amfleet Two coach that had to be removed from the consist someplace and this
was the difference between blanking out a coach with the consist one car short - tough to do
on an all-reserved train when the seats have all been sold and the car in question is needed.

Was this car at or near the front of the train being deadheaded or open to passengers?
I agree that the most sense is to use this car for short riders which depending on the two
stations that they are traveling between on #49 they may have been turned away without
this car in the consist replacing a regular assigned Amfleet Two coach on that run...

On a related note does anyone have any idea how many Amfleet One cars are assigned to
Amtrak Midwest? To me it makes the most sense to send this equipment between the Northeast
and Midwest on trains #48/49 when it is necessary - even more then #50/51 in which the direct
access to Indianapolis and Beech Grove could be an option when needed...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby HammerJack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm

hs3730 wrote:Could it have been an Amfleet 1 business class configuration? That's almost as good as an Amfleet 2.

No, it was a regular coachclass Amfleet I.

MACTRAXX wrote:Was this car at or near the front of the train being deadheaded or open to passengers?
I agree that the most sense is to use this car for short riders which depending on the two
stations that they are traveling between on #49 they may have been turned away without
this car in the consist replacing a regular assigned Amfleet Two coach on that run...MACTRAXX

It was the 2nd of 6 coaches, from front to back. I was in the first, which was an Amfleet II.
HammerJack

Postby Dick H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:51 pm

The Boston section of the LSL, 448/449 has temporally lost its sleeper,
as the equipment has been transferred to the Silver Meteor due to the
shortage of sleepers from the Savannah derailment. Boston passengers
ride in either coach or business class between ALB/BOS. No estimated
date for return of the sleeper to 448/449.
Dick H

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Mr. Dick H, have you learned from any source the extent of damage those Sleepers may have received. One would think that from a low speed derailment, it can be expected they will be returned to service. Further, since there were no reports of injuries, the Legal Department should have no grounds to "tie 'em.up" indefinitely.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Dick H » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Mr. N, the 448/449 report was on the All Aboard Yahoo Board.
No further info on the status of the damaged cars,
Dick H

Postby Tadman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

448/449 are the Dangerfield of the railroad. They don't get no respect.
Tadman

Postby ut-1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 am

Here's a very short video showing No. 48 at Big Nose Curve yesterday in Yosts, NY minus the Boston sleeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQOaOsI1QQ
ut-1

Postby rb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm

I took 48 SOB-NYP last week (1/16) and my brother took 448 ALB-BBY yesterday. Both trains ran with a Boston sleeper.
rb

Postby ST214 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Long story short, there are no spare Amfleet 2’s in Boston. If the car is bad ordered, a Amfleet 1 is put in it’s place.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:02 pm

While driving home from work today I saw this evening's 448 passing near West Springfield, MA. It had its sleeper.
lordsigma12345

Postby BAR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm

I attempted to make an Amtrak reservation today for #448 from Schenectady to Boston with a scheduled arrival of 8:01 PM and then on to Williamsburg on #67 with a 9:30 PM departure. The agent said there would be no problem and would make the reservation when the computers were back up. Received a phone call later informing me that since the Lake Shore Limited was so frequently late they would not be able to make the reservation.
BAR

Postby Arlington » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm

BAR wrote:I attempted to make an Amtrak reservation today for #448 from Schenectady to Boston with a scheduled arrival of 8:01 PM and then on to Williamsburg on #67 with a 9:30 PM departure. The agent said there would be no problem and would make the reservation when the computers were back up. Received a phone call later informing me that since the Lake Shore Limited was so frequently late they would not be able to make the reservation.

Sounds right to me. If the purpose is to make a useful connection, the trip should go from "Greater Albany" into NYP with a change there.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak