Lake Shore Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Postby Arlington » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 am

^ Thanks! When was the LSL diner removed?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Re: Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Postby east point » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

At present the diner situation has spme unknowns.
Will CAF be able to make the promised delivery times ?
Will the use of 68001 show problems that will need resolving before any other V-2s are placed in service ?
What happens if any more Heritage diners(s) go unserviceable and have to be removed from current service ?
east point

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:47 pm

None of the above is anything that we are likely to know anytime soon.

I do think the final issues have been dealt with based on what others who would know have said.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby CP-4070 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 am

Does anyone know how to reserve a roomette that faces the Hudson side of the train?
CP-4070

Postby Tadman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

I believe if you call the railroad they can help you with that, after you make your online reservation. It might help to use a viewliner diagram and request a specific room number. Also want to figure out if the sleepers run vestibule-first or blind end first. Try to get a room in the center of the car, best ride and quietest, too.

Scroll about half way down at this link:http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html
Tadman

Postby bostontrainguy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 am

In my experience typically the sleepers usually run vestibule forward. That way the HP room has direct access to the dining car (at least the first one). The Lake Shore of course is a very different animal and with the dining car situation as it is, and depending on what section you are riding, nothing is probably guaranteed. I would try to get a room on the left side westbound I would think to increase my chances. Watch a few recent YouTube videos to see how it is operating lately.
bostontrainguy

Postby electricron » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm

As the train heads north out of Penn Station the even number roomettes will be on the Hudson River side of the train when the vestibule aligned forwards. FYI, in that configuration, all the rooms will be on the opposite side of the Hudson.
But when heading the opposite way towards New York City, you'll want odd number roomettes or rooms to view the Hudson.
electricron

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm

BTW, I had what I would consider a fairly unique experience on the EB LSL from CHI->ALB.

We arrived at Albany 30 minutes early.

Yes you read that right. And apparently arrived in NYP early.
I can't seem to get stats on when 448 arrived at Boston.

But it was clear sailing today.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby markhb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:56 am

Is the project at ALB completed, at least to the point that 449 and 448 can both be in the station at the same time? I note that 449 also arrived at Albany 17 minutes early.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 am

Pretty much. There's still some work being done (like right now the lights on the extended platform are just worklights hung up).
And they're working on the escalators on both platforms, so the southern ends are closed off.

But, even with that, the combined 48/448 basically fit on the entire platform w/o any real issues.

Only drawback, is it's a LONG walk from the north end of the platform to the stairs.
Especially when where I got off the sleeper is basically right across from where my car was parked ;-)
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby east point » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:10 pm

LSL cancelled both ways whole route today NYP <> CHI
east point

Postby gokeefe » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Wow. Surprising to an extent but in other ways not.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

east point wrote:LSL cancelled both ways whole route today NYP <> CHI

gokeefe wrote:Wow. Surprising to an extent but in other ways not.

How much LD cancellation (esp eastern LDs) is due to Amtrak's own reticence about avoiding engine failures, losing way too much time, etc. and how much is because the host railroads strongly recommend against running?
mtuandrew

Postby gokeefe » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 pm

One trend I've noticed is that some of these cancellations tend to be related to expected load factors. The train could very well run. They just don't want to run it empty and take the associated risks. If train is cancelled far enough ahead of time the savings can be significant.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Allouette » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 am

LSL traverses Metro North from Poughkeepsie to Spuyten Duyvil. All of the Empire trains were cancelled, too, when MN shut down for the storm.
Allouette

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak