Lake Shore Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Heritage Baggage Car: Status and Disposition

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 pm

The "Matos Gang" videoed 49 (17) from their "hideout" with Sleepers and V-Bag on the rear:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=86183&start=585#p1413048

I guess 449 is again a through BOS-CHI train, as the video shows only two Sleepers.

Now regarding Mr. Approach's comment made at another topic:

ApproachMedium wrote:Bags on the back has NOTHING to do with car problems etc it has to do with the winter and how they make and break consists. In the winter times they keep the Florida long distance trains set up the same direction as the Chicago train out of ssyd so that the consists can swap every trip to let the Chicago train thaw out down south.

I think it makes great sense to have inbound 48 become 91 next day. With the apparent restoration of the CHI - BOS lines, the two Sleepers followed by an A-II SDS Diner (to my knowledge, Diner Lite is simply "fanese"), the consist need not be looped, resulting in an extra hour available "to fix whatever is going to be".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes, 448/449 has been for a few weeks now I believe.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby charlesriverbranch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:40 pm

I saw 448 at South Station, Boston Saturday night. It included a Viewliner sleeper, so it must have run through from Chicago.
charlesriverbranch

Postby leviramsey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:11 pm

I saw 448 at SPG a few weeks ago and it had a Viewliner sleeper. The crew just off the SB Vermonter waiting for the NB Vermonter said they were pretty sure 448/449 had had sleepers for a few months.
leviramsey

Re: Lake Shore Limited

Postby JoeS » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Last Friday I was trackside in Rochester, and saw 48 roar by with two engines up front... so maybe the 1 unit experiment is over.
Joe
JoeS

Postby Railjunkie » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:38 pm

The one unit experiment will continue once winter is over. The second is there for just in case.
Railjunkie

Postby Red Wing » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 pm

I was sitting in my sleeper on 448 on Halloween.
Red Wing

Postby markhb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:00 pm

Railjunkie wrote:The one unit experiment will continue once winter is over. The second is there for just in case.

Given that they need two engines south/east of Albany anyway, what's the purpose to holding one back?
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 am

The ALB-NYP is a P32AC-DM which are in limited supply. So if they can keep that local, it saves wear/tear, allows use locally (or as a backup).

That's one reason I can think of (not saying it's a reason they consider)
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Railjunkie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 am

AMT 49/48 ALB/NYP only use a single dual mode for the trip. The two 42s come over from Boston. The chances of a 32 going all the west to Chicago is slim to none. Here are a few examples why, on a normal day inbound engine off 63 turns for 48, 69 inbound turns for 68, 49 inbound will layover except for Sunday where it turn for 288/1297deadhead.

The reason for the single 42 on the Lake Shore is Amtrak did a fuel consumption study and found a single engine could make it to Chicago/Albany. Not by much they generally came in with less than 500 gals of fuel left. With winter being here the second is just there for just in case it gets late or stuck somewhere on NS/CSX. As for other long distance trains with a single engine I think most of the Florida trains except the Auto Train.
Railjunkie

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:07 am

Mr. Junkie, what am I missing here?

With one engine, 48 or 49 arrive final terminal with 500 gals of fuel, if Amtrak is to assign two engines, wouldn't there just be two engines arriving with 500 gals of fuel?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Railjunkie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:46 am

Its only what was explained to me by Amtrak during my annual rules class and the fuel conservation program. Another example would be if I had two on the head end of a ALB NYP train we can only have one online the other must be isolated. I have never seen a pair come from out west with an on time 48 with less than 500 gals each for the pair. Have I run out of fuel for one of them yes but if I remember correctly they may have missed a refuel.

Lets not forget if there is only one it gets to supply both traction and HEP with two you can set it up anyway you want but which ever isnt supplying HEP will only be under load when accelerating out of station stops, temp or perm speeds, or up the hill out of Albany and Batavia. Otherwise its pretty flat. As my old OJTI used to say "you can set it and forget it".
Railjunkie

Postby electricron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:51 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Junkie, what am I missing here?

With one engine, 48 or 49 arrive final terminal with 500 gals of fuel, if Amtrak is to assign two engines, wouldn't there just be two engines arriving with 500 gals of fuel?

Nope, both locomotives sharing the load means both locomotives work less and consume less fuel individually, although there's a good chance more total fuel is consumed.
electricron

Re: Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Postby Arlington » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:56 am

This is an LSL diner downgrade question:
1) for what period has (will) the diner be off?
2) Did Room(ette) tickets get sold without food (cheaper and like the Silver Star), or did patrons just get a "we're sorry" and a cafe voucher (as they might in a 1-day diner equipment outage)?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Re: Silver Star Downgrade and Diner Discussion

Postby Philly Amtrak Fan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:02 am

The LSL is not the same as the Silver Star. They have a diner lite so they still have non cafe car food which is still to my knowledge included. A similar situation exists for the CONO.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/767/590/La ... 111516.pdf

As for when the full diner will come back, it all depends on the Viewliner II diner cars but CAF says they are on the way ,according to NARP (https://www.narprail.org/news/hotline/h ... in-action/)

"The next diner will hit the road in March, and CAF should begin delivering the remainder of the diners in the Spring, 25 in all. The new diners will run on the Silver Meteor, the Crescent and the Lake Shore Limited, although the diner restoration date on the Lake Shore is yet to be determined. "
Philly Amtrak Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak