Into Philly by way of the "Berrys"

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Into Philly by way of the "Berrys"

Postby Jersey_Mike » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Electric unfortunately. They aren't leaving the pneumatics in place like at DOCK or Penn Station. :(
Jersey_Mike

Postby strench707 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:14 am

Aw thats too bad, I know WUS still has the pneumatics, its fun being up in K Tower and lining a route on the computer and then hearing all the air switches woooosh to line the route. Sooo much fun!

Will the new electrics be US&S ones, like the M-23?

Also, I wonder if Baltimore Penn and any intermediate interlockings besides DOCK (as you mentioned) still have some pneumos.

Davis
strench707

Postby Jersey_Mike » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 am

Yeah, there are still a bunch out there. The point machines at PENN are M3s.
Jersey_Mike

Postby twropr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:43 am

Understand that when the TLM finishes replacing concrete ties Ham-Grundy that it will begin on River Line TK 1 Zoo-Penn. Will be interesting to see if they resume operating westbounds via the Berrys and eastbounds via RL TK 4, or if they do something else.

Andy
twropr

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:01 pm

the ties on track 3 will be replaced all the way to Mantua.
BuddSilverliner269

Postby twropr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Is one of the Berry tracks being taken out of service? As I recall the Berrys were #2 and #3 and ran between a point at Zoo near where the Subway diverges and a connection with the 36th St. Connection.

Andy
Jacksonville, FL
twropr

Postby amtrakhogger » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:40 pm

#2 Berry is out of service and has been removed. Since Conrail rerouted trains off the High Line through Zoo, there is little use for the Berry track(s) except for wye moves and DH Septa equipment moves to/from Powelton Yard.
His train? It's MY train! I know what I'm doing, do you?
amtrakhogger

Postby r40slant » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 pm

until recently the last time i used the berry's it was because they were doing track work on the river line. However bout a month ago they made me go down the berry's on 175.
r40slant

Postby Patrick Boylan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:15 am

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:It's called the Berry tracks because its in the Strawberry Mansion section of Philly,although actually I think the actual neighborhood is close by. I have heard that as the only explanation.

From how many sources have you heard that explanation? I think it's pretty far fetched. Zoo junction's in Philly's Mantua neighborhood. Although Strawberry Mansion is one of the neighborhoods nearby, it's not only on the other side of the river, the railroad's the dividing line between Strawberry Mansion and Brewerytown, so beautiful downtown Strawberry Mansion, and the mansion which gives the neighborhood its name, is considerably north of the railroad.

My only memory of "shooting the Berry's" as my engineer called it, was on an outbound Chestnut Hill train in those long ago days when friendly SEPTA crew would leave the door open and chat with railfans. There was some communications mixup, he at first thought he was being misrouted, stopped and radio confirmed before entering the "Berry".
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby ThirdRail7 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:38 pm

This used to be a through route for ore trains. If you walked along the tracks and underneath the Philadelphia High Line (station bypass) you would see ore pellets that looked just like berries.

I was informed this is how the got the name. I wish I would have kept some when I took my walk.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby Tadman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm

I've never picked up any ore, but I pick up coal along a nearby powerplant spur when I'm out for a walk with the dog. This may sound a bit odd, but once coal starts burning, it burns hot and long. Much hotter and longer than firewood. It's great in a terra cotta chimnea on a cold spring or fall evening.
Tadman

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Pat, my sources are corrected and its numerous sources that have stated how The Berry tracks received there name. If you "think" you know how they received there names then please "entertain" us with your knowledge(sic). If I recall, Strawberry Mansion is just on the other side of the Schyukill River so big deal. The railroads have always used nearby landmarks or neighborhoods.
BuddSilverliner269

Postby Patrick Boylan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 am

I don't know where it got its name, as I said before I think it's pretty far fetched that the Berrys name came from across the river Strawberry Mansion. That's almost as crazy as it would be to name some trackage within Zoo junction "Pittsburg Subway".

I very much like to entertain, so I'm now starting a campaign to rename it "Coal" since http://www.johncoltranehouse.org/ 1511 n 33rd St 19121 is the 2nd building north of Amtrak's right of way east of the Schuylkill, in southern Strawberry Mansion.

Remember kill is Dutch for river.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 am

Patrick Boylan wrote:I don't know where it got its name, as I said before I think it's pretty far fetched that the Berrys name came from across the river Strawberry Mansion. That's almost as crazy as it would be to name some trackage within Zoo junction "Pittsburg Subway".

I very much like to entertain, so I'm now starting a campaign to rename it "Coal" since http://www.johncoltranehouse.org/ 1511 n 33rd St 19121 is the 2nd building north of Amtrak's right of way east of the Schuylkill, in southern Strawberry Mansion.

Remember kill is Dutch for river.

Please stick to fairy dancing or whatever it is you do Pat, and stop wasting our time when someone post something with knowledgable info that is correct that you want to dissect and "think" its wrong. You think its far fetched but the reality is Berrys got its name for the reason I mentioned. Case closed!!!
BuddSilverliner269

Postby twropr » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Starting Mon. Oct. 1 and continuing thru Tues. the 9th, a switch replacement project at Girard will have westbound Amtrak and SEPTA Trenton Line trains operating via the Berry tracks. SEPTA trains 9700 and 9730 from Trenton will operate into the Lower Level at 30th St. Station and 9741, leaving at 3:54 pm will originate from the Lower Level. 9745, leaving Temple at 4:39 pm and 9749, leaving Temple at 4:58 pm, are supposed to be 8-car trains powered by an ACS-64.
There detours might present possibilities to photograph SEPTA equipment using Amtrak's 36th St. Connection to reach 30th St.
Andy
twropr

Previous

Return to Amtrak