Lynchburg VA NE Regional (ext. to Roanoke and Bristol)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Lynchburg VA NE Regional (ext. to Roanoke and Bristol)

Postby gokeefe » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:31 am

What is the closest airport to Bristol and what do the fares to Washington and New York look like?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Arlington » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 am

gokeefe wrote:What is the closest airport to Bristol and what do the fares to Washington and New York look like?

Tri Cities Airport (TRI), direct "business" flights only to Charlotte (3x) and Atlanta (6x!) (and leisure 1/day to Orlando), with long & expensive connections flights to WAS and NYC.

You might argue that that's an opportunity for Amtrak to carry them northward.

I'd worry that it is evidence that Bristol has a lack of NEC-affinity;, which is #3 of my 4 criteria, above.Lots of service, but only to CLT and ATL seems pretty strong evidence that Bristol's commercial world (NASCAR, paper/forest products (boxes), cellulosic chemicals & films) is oriented southward and globally but not particularly northeastward.

If AA wanted to sidestep competition vs DL's ATL hub (which is a very normal thing to want to do), flights from TRI to DCA or PHL would have made more sense than a highly-overlapped spoke from the CLT hub. Similarly, if United had seen a latent NEC opportunity not served by DL and AA's "south first" connections, a flight to IAD would be a no-brainer. So I read AA's CLT service, and UA's non-entry as indication that TRI's travel market is primarily south-oriented.

This recent interview suggests that the airport believes their best shot at a new route would be to Chicago or Dallas...and makes no mention of desire oriented Northeast. It is interesting to me that TRI locals, at least, think their next-most-important compass point is West, via ORD or DFW.

As a NEC-oriented guy, it is new to me to read an article on "new airport service" that does not include at least a throwaway "of course everyone would like to see direct service to New York" (or "everyone wants a nonstop to Washington")
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby lirrelectrician » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Here is a crazy idea. I would have a train leave NY about 10pm or so it would arrive in Roanoke about 7am. Then keep going not only to Bristol, but to Knoxville, Chatanooga, then either to Atlanta, or Huntville and Memphis or Birmingham and then Meridian, Jackson, Shreveport and Dallas. There are plans for a Dallas section of the crescent, but maybe this idea could work. Another idea would be to split train 66/67 having one half going to Newport News as it does today and the other half go to Roanoke and Bristol.
lirrelectrician

Postby roavabees » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:42 pm

One of the problems of extending the line is that Amtrak had build a facility in Roanoke to stage/service their trains. If they extend the line to Christensburg/ Blacksburg they would need to spend the money to build new one there. Then again in Bristol and the next place and on and on.
roavabees

Previous

Return to Amtrak