Expanded Virginia Regional Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Expanded Virginia Regional Service

Postby east point » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Back in the pre Amtrak days there was an overnight sleeper that originated in Bristol - ROA switched trains and continued to Petersburg -then Richmond. Coach passenger from Bristol - Roanoke changed trains in Roanoke. So at one time there was the demand always to go to Richmond the capitol and other places.
east point

Postby Arlington » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 pm

I've generally believed that at midday and weekends (or whenever Tidewater & Richmond traffic is "penetrable"/"moderate") that they should run Thruways to/from RVM & RVR to connect with its now-extensive NEC/SIlvermetto service, like a 10am, Noon, & 2pm and an 8pm in each direction, and extensions to/from CVS as long as everything is safely off the roads between 4pm and 8pm.

NPN-RVx is 2 hour
RVx-CVS is 1 hour
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby Joke Insurance » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 am

Are there any plans for NS to add second tracks along the NS Piedmont Division between Manassas and Charlottesville where there are sections that are single tracked? That could be beneficial for adding more service for Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and Roanoke.
Joke Insurance

Postby Arlington » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:36 pm

I thought only the B-Line from Manassas to front Royal had single tracking, where are the whole rest of the NS Crescent corridor was double tracked. Sounds like I'm wrong?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby east point » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Arlington wrote:I thought only the B-Line from Manassas to front Royal had single tracking, where are the whole rest of the NS Crescent corridor was double tracked. Sounds like I'm wrong?

Yes Of course NS would want money to re install the 2 main tracks. When SOU installed CTC they took many sections of second track up.
east point

Postby Joke Insurance » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:33 am

east point wrote:Yes Of course NS would want money to re install the 2 main tracks. When SOU installed CTC they took many sections of second track up.

Why did they remove those sections after installing CTC? I thought that having a second track would be more purposeful after a CTC installation.

And just out of curiosity, when were those sections removed?
Joke Insurance

Postby Joke Insurance » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:36 am

Arlington wrote:I thought only the B-Line from Manassas to front Royal had single tracking

Have there been active talks to adding a second track along the B-Line, in addition to straightening out any sharp curves?
Joke Insurance

Postby east point » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:06 pm

Joke Insurance wrote:
east point wrote:Yes Of course NS would want money to re install the 2 main tracks. When SOU installed CTC they took many sections of second track up.

Why did they remove those sections after installing CTC? I thought that having a second track would be more purposeful after a CTC installation.

And just out of curiosity, when were those sections removed?

The business that sold the RRs on CTC maintained that a RR could carry 75 - 100% of the traffic with just the CTC sidings. Of course that has not proved to be the case due to different speed trains, now longer trains ( some that will no longer fit in some shorter sidings), the need to shut down single track sections for regular maintenance, break downs on single track sections, 2 man crews 9 no caboose ), and now PSR.
east point

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44 pm

I thought the Southern used a 5-and-5 policy of having 5 miles of single track, 5 of two main tracks, 5 more single track, and so on, making nonstop meets easier to accomplish. I think the IC did the same south of Homewood or thereabouts? Of course the whole idea would make sense only if the existing double-track line was underutilized at the time.
ExCon90

Postby dgvrengineer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 pm

The Southern main from Alexandria to Lynchburg used to be double tracked all the way. I think it was in the 80's when the second track was removed in places. It generally follows 5 to 10 miles double then 5 to 10 miles single with equilateral turnouts at the beginning and end good for 60 mph. Double track remains from Alexandria to just west of Manassas, I think its Bristow MP 36. My understanding is they wanted to do this all the way from Alexandria but the state of Virginia asked for double track to remain at least to Manassas for the planned commuter service. I'm sure Virginia paid something for the double track to remain.
dgvrengineer

Previous

Return to Amtrak