All Aboard Ohio and OH proposals (Ohio 3C Corridor)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

All Aboard Ohio and OH proposals (Ohio 3C Corridor)

Postby jonmurr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:52 pm

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090319/NEWS24/903190363/-1/NEWS10

In a turn of events as least somewhat surprising to this poster, The 3C corridor money in the Ohio transportation bill survived the GOP-controlled Senate, and heads to conference committee to be finally hammered out with the Dem- controlled house.
It's not over yet, of course, but it looks like state subsidized trains are coming to Ohio.
I await the forthcoming Amtrak study with baited breath.
Last edited by jonmurr on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jonmurr

Re: 3C Corridor Makes it over Ohio Senate hurdle

Postby Tadman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm just as surprised as you. I was a four year Ohio resident and I never expected the program to get this far. On the other hand, I won't believe it until the train is rolling on rails. Even then I'll be more of a believer if it rolls for more than 1-2 years. Cinci built a subway, tunnels and all, that never ran. The state had a demonstration train about 20 years back, consisting of a geep and surplus SP gallery car, for this same 3C service - it hardly turned a wheel. In other words, the state has seen passenger train projects go further than this, all for nothing.

Sorry to rain on the parade - I'm definitely a supporter of state-sponsored corridors.
Tadman

Postby David Benton » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

perhaps the stimulus money has one good effect , it forces states to do something quickly , rather than endless studies etc .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby transitrider » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Why Amtrak didn't have a thruway bus connection in Ohio and I noticed they don't at all, that is real bad and that explains folks in Columbus was very pissed and didn't like the idea but with this 3C, we will see.
transitrider

Postby jonmurr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I think the Thruway was dropped 1Q 06. The station stop times for the 3 Ohio trains made the Columbus departure for the bus awful any way you looked at it. I can't find my timetable right now but it has been at least 2 years.
jonmurr

Postby shlustig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Ohio has seen about several demonstration trips over this route utilizing just about every type of equipment which Amtrak has operated (Amfleet, Turbotrain, and foreign).

When a Cleveland - Columbus trip was considered as part of the I-71 5-year rebuild, CSX wanted 12 miles of 2nd main track put in between Greenwich and Vernon Jct. (north of Crestline).

Trackage now should be good for 79 mph, with incremental improvements made after the service has begun. Heck, in the 1950's we had 5' service from Cincinnati to Cleveland with multiple stops en route!

One flaw in the plan is that the proposed route runs via Mansfield, and there has never been a direct mainline between Cleveland and Mansfield. Best route is that of the former NYC which is now split between CSX and NS.
shlustig

Postby NellieBly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:35 pm

In 1997 (if I recall correctly) one or another railfan group ran a Cleveland -- Cincinnati round trip with that train of Superliner coaches that was available for charter for a few years in the 90s. I rode the trip only one way (from Cincy north) due to a very late "Lake Shore" that missed the SB train (despite having a four-hour scheduled connection). Amtrak very nicely put me on a bus.

The bus ride was interesting. LOTS of people travel between Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy, but what was even more interesting was the "hub and spoke" operation at Columbus where other buses from smaller cities (Wooster, etc.) met ours and exchanged passengers. The bus was full the whole way.

That suggests there is certainly a market for reasonably fast rail service, and the trip from Cincy via Dayton and Columbus was actually pretty fast, all things considered. A little slow getting out of Cincy but quite fast north of Columbus (through Marion and Galion).

So let's hope. On the other hand, the "3C route" has been an "emerging corridor" for essentially my entire working career.
Randy Resor, aka "NellieBly" passed away on November 1, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion to railroading at railroad.net.
NellieBly

3C Corridor update.

Postby jonmurr » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/03/31/copy/transport31.ART_ART_03-31-09_A1_D1DDFVO.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Well, It's law as soon as Govenor Ted signs it. . The article sums up the final hurdles. I'd say it's now wait and see until the Amtrak study comes out, and what fuel prices do this summer.

For the masochists, the complete text of the bill, the relevant section is 4981.02.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/BillText128/128_HB_2_CR_N.html
jonmurr

September Update

Postby jonmurr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Just updating the progress of the 3C corridor initiative here in Ohio. ODOT has put up a website; http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Rail/Programs/passenger/3CisME/Pages/default.aspx

Sadly, some of the information is in PowerPoint, but it gives some insight into the goings on.
I will attend the Columbus public meeting and report back with anything relevant to the interest of this forum.
jonmurr

Re: Ohio 3C Corridor website up, new information.

Postby trainhq » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Well. If I could pick one line in the whole country for restoration, this would be it. This is a classic example
of what Amtrak SHOULD do; run passenger rail between well populated areas using existing, high quality freight
lines. Hopefully, the various powers that be will recognize that this will be a very cost-effective (and hopefully well
utilized) service, one that deserves to be at the very top of the list for use of Amtrak funds. Hope the folks in each
of the three C's enjoy using this service once it commences.
trainhq

Postby MudLake » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Here's a question for anyone who wishes to ponder:

How "competitive" with driving time should this or other corridor-type services be if they wish to be popular?

For reference in the 3C situation, Cleveland to Columbus is projected as 3 hours. Let's say you add in anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour extra before train departure time to get to the station, etc. That makes it 3.5 to 4 hours. I know that most most people can drive from their home in the Cleveland area to downtown Columbus (assuming that's where they want to go) in anywhere from 2 hrs 15 minutes (or 2 hrs flat from the SW suburbs) to 2 hrs 30 or 40 minutes on the higher side.
MudLake

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Factoid, though I can't remember the source: Columbus, OH is the largest metropolitan in the country with no train service. I think it will be a big plus if the state gets this off the ground.
Rockingham Racer

Postby MudLake » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:50 pm

Phoenix?
MudLake

Postby pablo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 pm

South out of Cleveland, where's this train going to go? What route?

Dave Becker
~Dave Becker
Moderator: Fairbanks-Morse Forum
pablo

Postby justalurker66 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Check the maps page on the Ohio site:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Ra ... bMaps.aspx

They even have a map for NW Indiana (Chicago area) options.

The line to the SE of Cleveland is the Capitol Limited (29/30) route unless the northern option is chosen.
justalurker66

Next

Return to Amtrak