metroliner variations

Discussion related to the National Railroad Passenger Corp. This forum is not affiliated with or endorsed by Amtrak/NRPC in any way. Official site: AMTRAK.COM. Amtrak is officially a Class I carrier but is categorized on this site as passenger rail.

Moderators: gprimr1, Jeff Smith, Tadman

metroliner variations

Postby bruceclouette » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:23 pm

I have been doing some research on Metroliners for a model-railroad project that I am doing, and I have reached the following conclusions regarding variations in Metroliners:

1. All 31 coaches (800-830) were equipped with Westinghouse electrical gear and two-armed pantographs. The coaches did not have name-plates attached next to the doors.

2. The 10 club cars (880-889) and 20 cafes (850-869) had GE electrical equipment, single-armed pantographs, and plates next to the doors with METRO CLUB or SNACK BAR COACH on them. These cars also had a white roof light on them.

3. There were three basic paint schemes: the original PRR/PC/Amtrak red pinstripe with keystones, PC placards, or Amtrak placards; Phase I Amtrak with the arrows; and Phase II without the arrows. The Phase I front ends were red, white, and blue and had a small AMTRAK left; the PHASE II had a full-width AMTRAK on a red and blue front end. I have never seen a photograph of a club car in Phase I paint so presume they were repainted directly from pinstripe into Phase II. Coaches and cafes appear in pinstripe, Phase I, and Phase II. There is a photo of coach 820 with pinstriped sides and a Phase II end.

4. Some but not all of each were remodeled with roof humps for relocated electrical equipment.

5. Four-car train sets seem to be the most common, followed by six-car. I have not seen any photos on the web of two-car or odd-numbered. Some four-car sets included two cafes, some only one.

I would like to know if this jibes with the research of others or if I have mis-stated anything. Thanks.

PS: Thanks to everyone who answered me on Metroliner inter-car connections.
bruceclouette

Postby davidp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:55 pm

When the Metroliner MUs were moved to Keystone service three car consists were fairly common.

Dave
Dave
davidp

Postby chuchubob » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 pm

davidp wrote:When the Metroliner MUs were moved to Keystone service three car consists were fairly common.

Dave

Here's a three.
chuchubob

Metroliners ala Capitoliners

Postby jp1822 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm

To digress a little, there's probably another photo floating around where you will see an F40 hauling the former metroliner coaches on the Keystone corridor. This was due to the power cars on the original metroliners being unreliable and likely overall deterioriation of the Keystone Corridor catenary in general. But the pantographs were still left up to draw interior lighting etc. When the metroliners were moved off the NEC to the Keystone Corridor they were dubbed the "Capitoliners" and even ran through to Market St. Station in center city Philly (using the upper level of 30th St. Station). It's nice to now see a fully restored electric service to the Keystone Corridor and descent track for a smooth ride! Perhaps one day a couple trains will once again originate from Market Street Station, as was once on the table with the restoration plans. And up to only a few years ago, that's all that was still travelling the Keystone Corridor - a three car train consist. Now five cars are typically the norm, the fifth largely being the cab car that was a former metroliner!
jp1822

Postby MudLake » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:20 pm

davidp wrote:When the Metroliner MUs were moved to Keystone service three car consists were fairly common.

Dave

It's been a long time, obviously, but I think I recall seeing three-car sets on the NEC as well. I may have taken a slide photo of one and will try to locate it some day.
MudLake

Re: Metroliners ala Capitoliners

Postby Matt Johnson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:39 am

jp1822 wrote:It's nice to now see a fully restored electric service to the Keystone Corridor and descent track for a smooth ride! ... Now five cars are typically the norm, the fifth largely being the cab car that was a former metroliner!

Seems somehow fitting that the Metroliners live on in Keystone service!

Here's a rare 8 car Metroliner consist back in 1985.

Also, at least one Metroliner ran as recently as 1993 in its "Phase II" paint, albeit as a cab control car.
Matt Johnson

metroliners

Postby bruceclouette » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mention the cab car conversions. but around here (Connecticut) we have a number of former Metroliners on active duty as cab cars on the New Haven to Springfield (MA) shuttle. The front-end doors have been changed, but otherwise clearly recognizeable as Metroliners. The roof brackets for the pantographs are still in place. There is also a business car made from a Metroliner that several people have spotted, but I haven't seen it personally.
bruceclouette

Postby JimBoylan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm

There were teething problems with one manufacturer's electrical equipment, so the first revenue trains had no coaches. News reports claimed that the State of Pennsylvania offered to let PennCentral use their 11 coaches to fill in, but many accounts like yours claim that all the coaches had the same electrical equipment.
JimBoylan

Keystones

Postby jp1822 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 pm

The last time I was on the cab cars operating on the Springfield Shuttles, they still had air ventilation issues (way to hot in the car) and the seats were the old 1980 orange and red variation. Not sure if this has been updated to more of the blue "capstone" interior that one will find on the cab cars of the Keystone trains.

Penn Central also had an option I believe to purchase additional Metroliner cars to outfit the Keystone Corridor with such service. It's now decades later and we finally have descent equipment on the Keystone Corridor powered electrically. Course it still lacks business and cafe service. I think the corridor can live without the business class service for now, but it would be nice to see some Keystones operate with cafe service. Government officials have talked the talk on this, but have yet to enacted anything.
jp1822

Postby Nasadowsk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

JimBoylan wrote:There were teething problems with one manufacturer's electrical equipment, so the first revenue trains had no coaches. News reports claimed that the State of Pennsylvania offered to let PennCentral use their 11 coaches to fill in, but many accounts like yours claim that all the coaches had the same electrical equipment.

The Westinghouse cars were known to pop substations, due to a low impedance in the main transformer. The main winding was intended for 11kv and 25kv, but they got it wrong. I seem to recall reading they had more issues with the Westinghouse cars than the GE ones....
Nasadowsk

Re: metroliner variations

Postby astrosa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 pm

bruceclouette wrote:2. The 10 club cars (880-889) and 20 cafes (850-869) had GE electrical equipment, single-armed pantographs, and plates next to the doors with METRO CLUB or SNACK BAR COACH on them. These cars also had a white roof light on them.

The item you're calling a roof light was actually some sort of antenna, I believe for on-board telephone service. FYI, the single-arm pantograph is a Faiveley design (also used on the GE-built E60s), while the double-arm style is a Stemman.

I have never seen a photograph of a club car in Phase I paint so presume they were repainted directly from pinstripe into Phase II. Coaches and cafes appear in pinstripe, Phase I, and Phase II. There is a photo of coach 820 with pinstriped sides and a Phase II end.

Can't confirm or deny the lack of club cars in Phase I, but I've seen at least three photos of the 820 painted as you describe.

4. Some but not all of each were remodeled with roof humps for relocated electrical equipment.

Unless I'm unaware of other variations, you can consider the roof humps to go hand-in-hand with the Phase II paint. I'm not aware of any cars that were still in service in their as-built configuration when the fleet was withdrawn.

Matt Johnson wrote:Also, at least one Metroliner ran as recently as 1993 in its "Phase II" paint, albeit as a cab control car.

Believe it or not, this car is STILL in Phase II paint, sitting in the yard at Bear, DE. It also still has the original clamshell cab end doors and the added roof hump.
astrosa

Postby khecht » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 pm

astrosa wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Also, at least one Metroliner ran as recently as 1993 in its "Phase II" paint, albeit as a cab control car.

Believe it or not, this car is STILL in Phase II paint, sitting in the yard at Bear, DE. It also still has the original clamshell cab end doors and the added roof hump.

If I'm not mistaken, it's visible on this aerial view.
khecht

Postby astrosa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:52 pm

khecht wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it's visible on this aerial view.

Yep, that's it! The stripes are very faded, but the painted front is still brightly colored. The other car with the roof hump should be the 9822, and the one in between is likely the wreck-damaged 9631.

Photos can be seen here:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... px?id=4511
astrosa

Postby BlockLine_4111 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:08 am

When did the Metroliner EMU's end their stint running as Metroliners on the (NH)-NYP-WAS route (under their own power)?

When did the Metroliner EMU's begin and end their stints running Keystone service?

Were the Metroliner EMU's "shop queens"?
BlockLine_4111

Keystone

Postby jp1822 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Another member I am sure can answer this better, but I think the Keystone Corridor was on diesel hauled cars between Harrisburg and Philly, with the electric engine change at Philly by the late 1980s. Heritage coaches were put to work on the Keystone line - hauled behind F40s believe it or not for a while - after the Capitoliners were retired.
jp1822

Next

Return to Amtrak