Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Postby sicariis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm

The MBTA is likely experiencing its highest ridership ever on the commuter rail today due to the parade
"We are seeing extraordinary ridership levels across the entire network, notably higher than seen for previous parades and almost certainly the highest ridership ever seen on the network," Keolis wrote in a statement.

Keolis and the MBTA added 16 extra trains to the regular schedule and seven additional coach cars on select scheduled trains, according to the statement. Due to the increases, the commuter rail has been able to serve about 26,000 additional people.

After the parade, North Station lines are expected to extend outside of the building, according to Keolis. If possible, passengers are encouraged to take a train after 4 p.m. Additionally, the MBTA warned travelers that lines will be especially long during the evening commute due to a Bruins game at TD Garden at 7 p.m., saying that the wait for a commuter rail could be up to two hours during that time.

https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/20 ... the-parade

Best of luck to the fortunate few with 685 tickets trying to make it to the platform.
sicariis

Postby Dick H » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Over on the MBTA rr.net page, it was indicated that the MBTA used every available coach for today's trains,
so there would not have been any coaches available for use by the Downeaster. I did have a sighting of the
#680/#681 train set and it had two extra coaches. #685 was sold out. #687 had three seats left leaving
Boston. #687 should be the set with two extra coaches...
Dick H

Postby gokeefe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm

This pretty much sums up today in Boston ...

An employee for Keolis, the company that runs the rail, could be heard telling crowds to “relax.”

“You’re going to get home,” the worker said, his voice amplified with a megaphone. “I swear to God.”

Just about died laughing reading that one ... #onlyinBoston
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby David Benton » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Sometimes we need reminding everything is relative , I wonder how long it would take to drive out of Boston after the event?
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 am

Believe the Downeaster pool has 1 car "spare" at Brunswick layup bldg.
Backshophoss

Postby gokeefe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Usually coach plus cafe. Two total plus spare power.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Cowford » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Now this is an odd comment.

NNEPRA.JPG

Reminds me of a Joe Perham joke about how much business a general store was doing. The owner explained that on Monday, someone came in and bought 50-ft of rope. On Tuesday, he had no customers. On Wednesday, that fella returned the 50-ft of rope. Said the owner, "I guess you could say Tuesday was my best day."
Cowford

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm guessing they mean the same person is doing a single round-trip using these two trains.

It's one thing I never quite achieved in all my ALB-NYP trips, taking the earliest and latest train. I came close, sometimes the 2nd train in, last out, or 1st in, 2nd to last out.
But in any case, could indicate a daily commuter.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Arlington » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Do you think that means
"on no day have the first/last BRU operated empty?"
or
"on at least 1 day both trains had at least 1 rider?"
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby gokeefe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm

It's the latter. They're saying the train has never operated empty leaving or arriving in Brunswick which I suspect is much to everyone's surprise in many places. Also I would definitely not assume it implies the same person.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Cowford wrote:Now this is an odd comment.

I think only if the service pattern was long standing. NNEPRA is making the point that something they thought might take years to start building is already producing ridership. Basically they likely projected/expected 0 riders for a period of time initially on the extreme ends of the route and schedule.

I think they are correct in their observation that this development (especially if it holds and starts to grow) is significant enough that it was worth reporting in their first glimpse of the results from the new schedule.

Worth noting this 1 daily rider each way everyday means about 500 new rides per year if it's M-F.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Cowford » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 pm

So in a year when ridership on those two trains goes to two bleary-eyed folks, are we to expect NNEPRA and TRNE will, with a straight face, claim that ridership has doubled on the service expansion since being enacted?

Worth noting this 1 daily rider each way everyday means about 500 new rides per year if it's M-F.

It's also worth noting that 40-45 gallons of fuel are burned each way daily in transporting that one rider between Brunswick and Portland.
Cowford

Postby gokeefe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Correct but they would otherwise be burned anyways on a deadhead move.

Also fuel and or energy savings come from the layover facility which allows full engine and coach shutdown.

I totally agree that if they suddenly picked up 2 then you would have the laughable statistic of ridership "doubling". That being said this may have already happened given that this report refers to conditions in November.

They were surprised and I don't blame them one bit.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Cowford » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 am

Put another way: Millions and millions were spent on the necessity of expanding service to Brunswick. The service is finally put in place, and NNEPRA is "surprised" that they actually attracted any riders at all on two of the four additional trains.

Wow.
Cowford

Postby gokeefe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:46 pm

I think that's missing the point that they knew all along that trains running late or very early hours would probably be empty at Brunswick.

The middle of the day trains were always the primary focus ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak