Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Just wondering: would Camden and Belfast get in on this action? Van service?
Rockingham Racer

Postby gokeefe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:Just wondering: would Camden and Belfast get in on this action? Van service?

The most likely option would be through MCH the Community Action Program (CAP) agency in the Mid-Coast area.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby jcpatten » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:16 pm

The Midcoast area is not Downeast - that's Hancock/Washington Counties, ie, beyond the Penobscot River. The Midcoast area does have a large number of summer homes, whether they are from Massachussetts or elsewhere I don't know.
jcpatten

Postby Dick H » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Saturday AM to mid-day woes on the Downeaster caused by a PAR freight.
POSE with three EMD locos, 610-601-613 stalled at Rockingham, with the
train blocking the RT.108 crossing at Newmarket. At any rate #690 was
held at Dover about one hour and 40 minutes. With #692 due at Dover,
#690 was moved to Durham. The plan then became for #690 to discharge
it's passengers at Durham, who would be picked up by #692 and the #690
set would turn at Haverhill to become #691, whose passengers out of
Boston would be bused to Haverhill.

Even with the best efforts of the DE crew, #691 was 1:16 late at Dover,
#692 was 2:15 late into Boston and #693 was 1:17 late into Dover. #694
ran close to on time, but #696 is running about 40 late at last report.

Of note is that the Guilford Rail Sightings Yahoo Group monthly loco report
as of 9/30 showed only two of the twenty PAR 600 series locos in service,
with all three of the locos on today's POSE being out of service last month.
It appears that the #600 series of SD40-2 PAR locos is on the way out.
Dick H

Postby Cowford » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:25 pm

I can comfortably say that Massachusetts makes up a very high proportion of out of state visitors to Maine, including a very substantial number on the Mid-Coast. Of all of the things you've ever said, "relatively few MA residents have summer homes/friends/relatives Downeast..." is truly a stretch! :-D

GO'Keefe, not a stretch, I think you misinterpreted my comment. I said "relatively few" in the context of comparing the Mid-Coast area with Cape Cod.

Still waiting for those ridership projections - then I'll comment on the irrelevance of any CMAQ benefits.
Cowford

Postby sicariis » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Trains 680, 681, 682, 683, 684, 685, 686, and 687 are cancelled due to downed trees and power outages. A determination on on other trains will be made as information becomes available on the status of debris clearing and power restoration .

https://www.facebook.com/AmtrakDowneast ... 0800472145

Not a good day for Train Travel in the north. Any reports of how bad the ROW is? Will we see 688/689 run tonight?
sicariis

Postby shadyjay » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Dick H wrote:Of note is that the Guilford Rail Sightings Yahoo Group monthly loco report
as of 9/30 showed only two of the twenty PAR 600 series locos in service,
with all three of the locos on today's POSE being out of service last month.
It appears that the #600 series of SD40-2 PAR locos is on the way out.

I saw that too, but then a few days into the month, saw a photo with several 600s pulling a train that were listed in the loco report as being o/o/s. My understanding is that the report does not take into account any units that are in for inspection and such. So there could have been numerous 600s in the shop at the time of the report, getting minor work done. Considering they just got the 600s not too too long ago ( a few years ), I guess anything is possible (especially with PAR).

It's got to be quite the undertaking to put that report together each month! It's very informative, for sure.
shadyjay

Postby Dick H » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

NNEPRA put an alert on the AmtrakDowneaster.com at 4:00PM (Monday)
that #688 and #689 were cancelled. A decision on #680 and #681 for
Tuesday will be made by 4:30AM on Tuesday,
Dick H

Postby sicariis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am

The cancellations continue with 3 out of 5 round trips cancelled today. Sounds like the issues are power along PAR and the inability to signal.

Saw some comments on the cancellation posts about why no bustitutes. I'm guessing Concord, C&J, and Greyhound are getting a few more customers then normal this week.
sicariis

Postby jonnhrr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:27 pm

sicariis wrote:The cancellations continue with 3 out of 5 round trips cancelled today. Sounds like the issues are power along PAR and the inability to signal.

Saw some comments on the cancellation posts about why no bustitutes. I'm guessing Concord, C&J, and Greyhound are getting a few more customers then normal this week.

Much of Maine was hit hard by the remnants of Tropical Storm Phillipe. Yesterday there were 400,000 people without power, things slowly getting back to normal, but many downed trees, etc. I'm sure PAR was hard hit also.
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby east point » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:32 pm

jonnhrr wrote:[

Much of Maine was hit hard by the remnants of Tropical Storm Phillipe. Yesterday there were 400,000 people without power, things slowly getting back to normal, but many downed trees, etc. I'm sure PAR was hard hit also.

Anyone know last time PAR trimmed any trees from their ROW ?
east point

Postby sicariis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

jonnhrr wrote:Much of Maine was hit hard by the remnants of Tropical Storm Phillipe. Yesterday there were 400,000 people without power, things slowly getting back to normal, but many downed trees, etc. I'm sure PAR was hard hit also.

Seacoast NH was also hard hit with lots of power outages as well. Though employers remain open. Here is NNEPRA's latest update from their site:

10/31/2017
On behalf of the Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority, please accept our apologies for the interruption in Downeaster service associated with the recent wind storm. The storm left the railroad covered in downed trees and branches, which are not safely passable with passengers on board. Crews are actively working to clear debris from the railroad.
Power outages impact grade crossing signals as well. When signals are not operational, trains must stop at each crossing and crews have to get out of the train and stop traffic to assure public safety. This is a slow process. Given that virtually all of the 100+ crossings between Brunswick and New Hampshire are without power, it is impossible to operate Downeaster service at this time.
Plans are under development to provide at least limited alternate transportation for some trains today, with most service expected to resume on Wednesday, November 1, 2017. The most up to date information related to service interruptions impacting specific trains will be posted as it is available on AmtrakDowneaster.com.
The following pictures depict Amtrak trains and crews assisting with the removal of debris on the train tracks between Brunswick and Yarmouth.
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Sounds like bustitution for 686/687 and 688/689, as they have not been announced as cancelled.
sicariis

Postby gokeefe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:49 pm

The right of way has had plenty of tree trimming. The southern half of the state is a mess. Even with several days lost October is probably a record breaking month for ridership.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Dick H » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Train Service will resume between Wells and Boston Wednesday AM.
Passengers will be bused between Portland and Wells. No Saco service.
Details here.
http://amtrakdowneaster.com/service-alerts
Dick H

Postby east point » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:57 pm

A question for our Mainers. Does PAR not have battery back up for their signals and crossing signals ? What about the section run by MBTA ?
east point

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak